Last cook ribs

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by MB403, Jun 14, 2015.

1. MB403

MB403 Member

Hey hey!!

got myself a donor weber from gumtree for $20 for my UDS build so decided to give her one last cook before i went to town on her parts..

Click to view full size!

Went with 3 pork (Costco) and 2 beef (Cape Grimm - Superbutcher)

Click to view full size!

Beef was just s&p with sweet baby rays on one and my own home made bbq sauce and the pork was 1x convict, 1x amazingribs.com & 1x Mad Hunkys. dropped some local honey and maple syrup before wrapping. the mad hunky was by far the best!! the amazingribs with maple came out a close second with the family. beef is always good lol.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

2. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Damn those beef ribs look good. I have had no luck with my efforts so far, i've been getting really bad cuts which have literally an inch of fat either side and a tiny slice of meat in between. My pork ribs on the other hand always come out aces.

I also leave the membrane on the pork ribs, most take it off but I find when cooking in the weber it adds another texture and is pretty much the only thing holding the ribs together :leet:

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

How did you cook them? Time and temp wise?

4. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I've done beef recently and the meat quality was just shithouse. I would have been better off doing lamb ribs, which I loathe.

Pork is always win-win, I've never gone wrong.

5. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

Okie dokie:

The pork was done using the 3-2-1 (indirect) method but from memory i always run hotter than 225F so i think it was more like 2 1/2H-2-30mins before direct grill for 5-10mins. my weber usually hovers around 230F-255F with a 2x2 heat bead snake.

Beef ribs are tricky..

the ones i used there were thick cape grim and i think they were on the weber for roughly 6-7hours all up. they wernt fall off the bone but not perfect either. a little chewy still. they have been my best beef ribs so far! i think my problem is iam trying to cook them like the pork (3-2-1) when like brisket i should be cooking to internal temp of 200F. i have seen not as thick cape byron beef shorties for 1/4 the price and they always look spot on after a session on the weber. beef ribs were done at 270F-290F for the entire time and foiled after bout 4hrs.

ive got to the point now that the family and friends really like my pork ribs and boneless pork ribs, pulled pork and brisket but most of my guests feel there is something not right about the beef ribs and at $60-75 for 2x racks its painfully comming along slowly. i will keep going untill i get it right and everyone likes them or asks me to cook beef. the homemade bbq sauce is slowly becoming a hit as well. but thats a whole other challenge lol.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  6. sbm888

sbm888 Member

They look good!

I'm the same as Jug - haven't had any luck cooking beef ribs in either my kettle or my WSM....

Pork ribs on the other hand are always demolished in an instant.

7. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I'm quite the amateur when it comes to cooking ribs.

I would think that beef having more cartilege/membrane etc, need a slower lower cook than pork. I think my beef ribs went wrong because I treated them the same as pork ribs and I cooked them in the same fashion.
    I think marinating the beef ribs for 12 hours might have a better result....happy to learn from people that have more experience than me of course.

8. obsolete

obsolete Member

Mmm ribs... Hey JugV2, where do you source your ribs from, and do you rate them? The selection at Coles/Woolies leaves a bit to be desired.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

In Perth there are a few places.

On Saturdays the http://www.ginginbeef.com/

There are a few butchers around, like the one at Innaloo outside Spudshed.

10. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I used to buy my ribs from Darling Ridge Butchers in Swan View but they sold and then closed, now I buy from two places.

Swan View Coles has a butchers in there - not sure of the name but the owner is a guy called Rob and their ribs are fantastic.

Another place is on Orrong Road Kewdale, on the Carlisle side of Orrong Road up towards Leach. Again I don't know their name but they are South African and they do a lot of ribs, fantastic meat in there.

I would only buy Coles or Woolies ribs in an emergency; and then only plain not marinated pork ribs. Their lamb ribs were awful and the beef ribs were very very fatty.

Avon Valley seems to have a good selection of ribs but I've not tried those yet.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  11. obsolete

obsolete Member

Thanks fellas, much appreciated!