Last motorsport pics before I post a wedding, I promise!

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Power47, May 11, 2013.

1. Power47

Power47 Member

Hey guys, heres a few snaps from Formula drift at calder park, i figured a few people may appreciate them. I didnt get much variety as i was only there about 45 minutes but it was a great event, really cool to see some big names in international drifting.

Some of you may also be wondering why iv not bothered to post wedding pics for a while, well truth is I have just been too busy shooting them and at least with this stuff i dont have to worry about if/when clients receive them and so on. I also dont want to post the usual heres some wedding photos, please look at them...
    As im heading for europe next weekend for my first holiday in several years iv been working my arse off to get everything up to date, as such by probably tomorrow night I will be fully upto date with weddings. I plan to post up a bunch of sets next week but with just a handful of shots from each wedding and explanations as to how they were shot and so on in order to help out those of you looking to break into the industry but also give everyone a bit more insight as to how I shoot.

For now though enjoy some cars vaporising rubber in the hands of the worlds best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

#1 and #3 look awesome. Were you playing with shutter speed and panning, or was it post camera effects?

3. OP
    OP
    Power47

Power47 Member

lol nah just shutter speed, 1 is 1/60th and 3 is 1/30th, both with 300mm lens

4. OldMate

OldMate Member

how do you pan so precisely? I cannot get it much past slight blur, although it might be the long distance lens I use.

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Practice practice practice practice.... oh wait, then practice. Maybe some more practice after that.

Nice shots too, 1, 4 and 5 are lovely. Looks like drifters have got better in the last few years too.

6. beLarge

beLarge Member

Are you burst firing? You can also get away with a higher shutter too right, like 1/80. To begin with just hold your camera in tight into your chest, then pick a spot on the car, say around the drivers door and then burst fire while tracking with the car and keeping the focus spot on the same part of the car.

Also, if you do a burst of like 5 shots, you will might get 1 keep, so, no magic here dude, just lots of practice, that's been my limited experience :)

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  7. OP
    OP
    Power47

Power47 Member

Yeah mate unfortunately as the others said panning photography perhaps more so than most other skills really cant be explained that much it is just practice, these were done using a monopod which can make it harder at first but once ur used it your definitely going to be able to get lower shutter speeds sharp when using big heavy long lens.

Most of the guys in these shots are the top drifters in the world, that black lexus is Daigo Saito, generally regarded as the worlds best since he won US Formula D in his rookie year, and Asian Formula D in the same year, has won D1 in Japan in the past and ALMOST wont it last year too despite no attending 4 rounds... It was a great privilage to see him drive, one of the few hyped up celebs iv seen perform who was actually better than the hype. (just check out how close he is behind Frederick Aasbo in the 86 in the first shot...)

His 1200hp lexus isnt bad either....

Oh and for any V8 fans out there, that RSR Toyota 86 in the first photo runs a factory toyota NASCAR V8 from the states, having stood next to it when they started it up i thought the world was ending :D

I actually prefer to shoot single shot, firstly because it means u end up with less spam but also I find it gives me the chance to focus on the framing and timing of the shot.

For anyone particulary interested in this type of photography and looking for some tips, look no further than this link, written by my hero Larry Chen who shoots for speedhunters, this guys is a proper master of light and someone who i draw inspiration from for all aspects of my photography. This article is absolute gold and we can all learn a lot from it! :thumbup:

The holy grail of motorsport photography tutorials.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  8. OldMate

OldMate Member

Fair enough. I was trying to burst fire, but as the car was moving closer and further away from me through the turn the focus wasn't quick enough to keep up....

I sort of get a feeling that the lens itself is letting me down, would anything else explain this blur?
    I focussed on the point that the car was going to be, and I panned pretty much perfectly but it just isn't a sharp image.

[​IMG]

Sorry for thread-jacking. Mods, move this if you want.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

9. roamin

roamin Member

great looking photos! shame the event for the general public is shit.

i went a couple of years ago and couldnt see jack. swore id never go back. mate went again this year and busted my balls to go and i said no i will never go again. he rang me with in 15 minutes and said "now you can say i told you so" as he couldnt see jack shit again this year. all good for the media and photographers as they got there own spot with views. but the public always get shit.

if they keep this up year after year people will just stop going. its a lot of money to get into an event where you can see very little. considering its at the thunderdome, youd think there would be plenty of seating and room. nope.

10. beLarge

beLarge Member

I will have to give this a go next time, I take it you just have to follow the car longer to sync your panning speed?

Also, great photos :)

11. OP
    OP
    Power47

Power47 Member

Couldnt agree with you more mate, I know most of the organizers pretty well and between us i dont exactly agree with all their methods, for me its obviously less of an issue being so involved in it, im either helping run the events, shooting or in the pits.

Thanks man, yeah try to track the car for at least a few seconds before you fire.

12. beLarge

beLarge Member

Dude, It's a good shot, as you said it's not tack sharp but practice will just make it better :)

13. OldMate

OldMate Member

it annoys me because it had so much potential, and I want to find out what it was that stuffed it up.

14. OP
    OP
    Power47

Power47 Member

sorry OldMate i forgot to reply about ur shot, it does have potential but to me the blur looks like verticle shake. Thats the thing with panning you have to develope ur own way of doing it, for me when not using monopod i really have to focus on bending my knees and pivoting at the hips. Its just practice, no point looking for an explanation or quick fix.