1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Late-night IT food. I'm sick of it.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by cmdwedge, Nov 29, 2008.

1. cmdwedge

cmdwedge Member

God damnit I hate 'overtime' food in IT. I'm here on a 7pm->7am shift in Sydney to do patching, and when I arrived, I said "I bet they buy fkn pizza for dinner". Ding - pizza. But not any pizza, Pizza Fucking Hut pizza. Like, the worst shite they could find.

I am sick to bloody death of getting food that would excite a 12 year old, for dinner every time I have to work after hours. Why can't they get something decent? Fried bloody pizza again. How anyone eats chain-store pizza, I have no idea. Oily bloody shite it is.

I hate the mentality that tells IT managers "hey, your guys like pizza. IT guys LOVE pizza. I saw it in a Dilbert strip!". FFS.

:'(

Wedge

2. nelso

nelso Member

Buy your own food?

3. OP
    OP
    cmdwedge

cmdwedge Member

Sadly, I was flown into Sydney around 6 hours ago. And the site I'm on is several KM away from any shops whatsoever. I'm stuck with getting whatever they give us. :(

4. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I share the pain. My last job had several occasions where we had to do a job where 'food was provided', and it always without fail was pizza. When the job is a week long, pizza gets very old VERY quickly.

It wasn't until people started shirking the provided food for their own or sneaked out to go find something better down the street did management realise that pizza wasn't the choice of champions.

So they switched to fish and chips. :rolleyes: At least we got grilled fish...

5. barclayton

barclayton Member

SPEAK UP MOTHER FUCKER. get some rage going. tell them you had food poisioning from the pizza, go stick your fingers down your throat and power yak all over the toilet or wall

6. jcorney

jcorney Member

if you are going to get pizza in sydney try and get crust pizza, they are pretty good and they deliver

7. spludgey

spludgey Member

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Don't like it? Don't eat it then. It sounds like the manager is being nice and supplying you with free food.

8. Kenny12

Kenny12 Member

actually for overtime they have to provide u with a meal

9. gaspah

gaspah Member

yeah speak up... you're doing the righty by working late, doesn't mean you should have to put up with unhealthy food.

10. OP
    OP
    cmdwedge

cmdwedge Member

This is the thing - the first couple of times, it's kinda cool that dinner is provided. Then you realise that pizza is one of the lowest cost-per-head foods they can buy, and there's a reason for it.

One other thing is that this late at night, the body tries to process all of those carbs and grease and guess what? I get more tired than I already would be. :)

11. Reaper

Reaper Member

Why not post where you are and someone here might be local and could bring a burger instead. :)

12. OP
    OP
    cmdwedge

cmdwedge Member

Well the dinner turned up at 10:30pm .. it was pizza, but it wasn't chain store pizza. And to be honest, it was GOOD. Of course, I hadn't eaten in 24 hours, so McD's would have tasted somewhat palatable. :)

13. kingjam

kingjam Member

I don't think they have to necessarily - depends on industry/occupation/awards etc.

Any employer though who doesn't is an idiot - pretty hard to get people to do overtime without some munchies:D

14. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

What do you expect them to bring you? Do you want a freshly cooked meal? Be greatful that they're giving you some food :)

15. caspian

caspian Member

lol, I remember one day from hell at work. three of us walked in to do the late shift, looked at the workload and appointments backed up, and just put our heads down. 8 and a half hours later we all gave up - nobody had had a break other than to make a mug of tea and go for a slash before diving back in, and we'd still blown most of our appointments for the day.

I went out and picked up a few pizzas, and one of the guys damn near started eating it box and all. after inhaling 2 slices he said "god that's good", and it was only because I was stuffing my face that the third bloke said "hey, at this stage you'd think the arse out of a dead rhinosceros tasted good..." first.

16. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

Soooooo....You didn't know before you left Canbra that you'd be there in Sydney for a meal?

Or a meal allowance. And it does depend on how much overtime you're doing.

17. jas0nt

jas0nt Member

i like the food our company gives us when it does. turkish food from a turkish restaraunt, cafe rolls from an actual cafe... :)

18. Celoot

Celoot Member

LOL power yak on the loo or wall !!! LOVE IT!!!

Dude, if u were in the gong I wouldnt have a issue with cooking a BBQ for ya and the boys and a couple of beers no issues here mate..

19. spectre257

spectre257 Member

How about some Red Rooster?
    Our boss tends to vary from pizza and Red Rooster.

20. NIP007

NIP007 Member

Guys, a few key factors in deciding on overtime food:

- quick
    - easy
    - a place that's open!

This is why pizzas is usually the choice, plus most people can eat pizza. If I have to order in pizza I at least try and get it from a proper diner/pizza bar rather than pizza hut or dominos.