Latency issue to be addressed for AMD Graphics Next Core video cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Vladdo, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

So it looks like after a year of being released, AMD is finally starting to make inroads into fixing their woeful drivers, only after being pushed to address the issue. Basically memory management side of their drivers was designed for previous generation architecture and wasn't re-written/optimised for southern islands generation.

Hopefully AMD doesn't drag it feet and release updated drivers sooner rather than later so us 120hz owners might actually feel like its 120hz..

http://techreport.com/news/24136/dr...e-radeon-frame-latencies-in-series-of-updates

2. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Wow, interesting.

I wonder how this affects multi GPU setups.

Doesn't give me much confidence in AMD's drivers :(

And supposedly there's another issue involving flickering/graphics corruption in DX9 powered games - which are still quite a large majority of games.

If AMD don't fix all these issues then it's pretty easy to work out who to go with for my next 4 cards :(

3. Geno

Geno Member

Been reading up on this a lot over on US forums. Consensus is 90% of people fail to notice any frame rendering lag on the 7000-series cards, it was barely noticeable on a high-speed video camera. But everyone is happy someone is looking into it.

4. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Yeah.. I really really can't see myself going with AMD again.. As much as they have good hardware, the drivers have always been half baked, and with AMD CPUs in the can, i really wonder about the long term viability and drivers.

That said, they knew about the memory management issues, but it was put on the backburner, and was going to be addressed, but they never got around to it.. I think that says volumes about their driver development team.. And yes, I'd say it also considerably affects crossfire as well..

I think it's much more prevalent on 120hz screens.. When i'm running something at 120hz, it never really looks smooth, and has very minor but very noticeable effects, especially when 'panning' in a shot in a benchmark for instance. I don't think it's really lag per se, but more that its dropped frames.. If they did the same comparison shot as above, but when a camera is being panned, you'd noticed it a lot more..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. Fish_Munger

Fish_Munger Member

New drivers are coming i been runing 12.11 beta 11 for ages good driver no problems for me.Ati never had a beta 11 driver before AMD took over is all i know :leet:

6. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

so given NV had the same issues last uarch ( 570 was the worst) are the people who are never going AMD ever again never going NV again either ;)

7. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

i don't remember reading about that being an issue with nvidia cards? would it affect the 480?

8. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I'd like a control panel that doesn't crash when you try to change resolutions.

I'd like to change from extended mode to eyefinity with a single mouse click, which doesn't involve it crashing, and sending 3 monitors to 720x576 mode, or it getting confused and altering the order of the screens, or it reverting to 25hz, rather than 120hz.

I'd like crossfire to work, without the stuttering, crashes or other general random screwiness.

I'd like the mouse cursor to not go screwy (ie garbaged graphic) in multi monitor modes.

I'd like them release more relevant and up to date WHQL versions so that I can actually use the Netflix app in Windows 8.

I'd like them to fix HD3D as it's a completely shit 3D driver and actually have some depth to their HD3D titles rather than it having a 2cm depth therefore negating any of the benefits of 3D. If they want to do a good 3D, go look at Tridefs implementation.

I think most of all I wish that the control panel wouldn't just suck. It's fine if you've got a single monitor and don't really have to stuff around with it, but once you start altering between single, extended and eyefinity modes, it becomes a crashfest, which often results in screen refreshes going all screwy requiring a reboot.

I'd also like to see a displayport MST hub THIS F&*$KING YEAR.. For a company that is dead set on pushing the whole displayport thing, it's pretty poor form that they haven't partnered up with someone who can actually produce one. Wasnt that one of their highlights in a powerpoint slideshow a few years ago that you can have multi monitors connected through a simple plug and play hub? 3? years later we're still waiting.

I also have both my 7970 powered by AMD powered cards in the shop under a warranty job. One has a heat issue, the other has failed memory. I've gone back to a 7950 and that's starting to show random artifacts too. All running stock under, no OC and in a very cool case with too much airflow.

Also having gone back to a lesser card with no useable displayports I've had to switch back to DVI. Oh my god. What a godsend. I realise that theres some sort of wierd compatibility issue between the AMD card and my samsung monitors which causes the monitors to just randomly drop out when using displayport, but going back to DVI has just been awesome. No more dropouts, no more NOT OPTIMAL RESOLUTION errors.

But anyway, I do think AMD have a lot more issues to work out with their drivers, its just been a very frustrating game of patience to see what they've fixed, and then what have they broken with every subsequent update.

9. r3zn0r

r3zn0r Member

http://www.wsgf.org/blog/skipclarke/2013/01/04/2013-year-displayport-mst

10. OP
    OP
    Vladdo

Vladdo Member

11. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Well considering that the last nvidia update was designed to fix a kernel root priveledge escalation, nvidia is also deserving of your scorn....

12. luke o

luke o Member

Running a budget 6000 series card in one of my work computers, connecting it via Display Port is a joke random drop outs, forgets resolution, doesn't wake up from sleep... swapping back to DVI problems gone.

Anyway glad AMD are looking into the lag issue, I certainly notice it playing all sorts of games, especially Borderlands 2 of late.

13. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Well excuse me for wanting the best setup when I drop $2k on 4 video cards :rolleyes: I don't care if it's AMD or nvidia but if a company wants to be slack about their driver updates then that bothers me.

Also, kernel root priveledge? I don't use Linux so not my problem :p

14. Roger

Roger Member

You can sorta do that, use Windows Key + P to swap from extend to duplicate once you have your eyefinity group set up and it'll swap from extend to eyefinity. Well, it works on my setup anyway, lol.