1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Laws regarding wiring into Off-Peak power..

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by maddhatter, Nov 11, 2006.

1. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Hi All,

I tried finding a place where I could ask this question elsewhere, but couldn't find any forums for australian electricians :/

Anyhow, my landlord is convinced that Air Conditioners are allowed to be hooked into offpeak power, and as such between the hours of 7 and 9 everynight my study cooks...

I was under the impression from several people that A/c's aren't allowed to be hooked up to offpeak power, does anyone know where I can get some hard evidence of this? The Australian standards document needs to be paid for and, well, I ain't paying to find out something like this :p

Anyone?

2. Naru

Naru (Banned or Deleted)

Give Ergon or Energex a call. I doubt the Australian Standards will have anything on this since this isn't a safety issue as such, more of a what the elctricity supplier will allow. if you're really keen to find out now I know Energex keeps some of its documents online including their manuals.

sounds like your land lord is pretty stingy. this might be costing him more in electricity usage too since you sy its boiling during the day. It takes less energy to keep to maintain a constant temp than it does to cool it right down.

3. OP
    OP
    maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call.

I pay for electricity, so I'm not sure that'd be the reason. :)

4. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

http://www.energex.com.au/for_home/asp/tariffs.asp?cmd=list&id=1

Energex makes no mention of air-conditioning being the sort of thing you'd use off-peak power for.

I'm not sure if there are actual laws governing what you can connect, but there might be some obligation that the landlord has regarding electricity supply.

Perhaps contact the real-estate agency and see what they know?

5. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

It can't be an Australian Standard, at least I don't believe so, as not all places have off peak power available. Further to this, as stated before, its not an issue of safety so much as restrictions on what the power company will allow.

Finally, if you're renting a place and you're paying the bill, why the fuck is it the landlord's business? The only reason I can see this coming about is if you don't rent a house, rather a room as a student.

If you pay the electricity bill, which generally is the responsibility of the tenant, and you choose to turn the aircon on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, then providing you pay the bill I can't see the landlord having any jurisdiction at all.

6. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Since you are in Mackay you will be supplied by Ergon, not Energex. The link you need is here - http://www.ergon.com.au/home/electricity_for_your_home/ep_domestic.asp

Anyways, what your landlord says is irrelevant. Before anything is allowed to be connected to a tariff other than 11 an application has to be made to the supply authority, I'd be very surprised if Ergon authorises an A/C unit to be connected to tariff 31 or 33 in a domestic situation.