1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

LCD/Plasma TVs with built-in media playing abilities

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by talib82, Mar 25, 2010.

1. talib82

talib82 Member

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a new TV and am tossing up between an LCD or a Plasma between 42" and 50".

Any recommendations for TVs that fit that category that have either:

- LAN network connection ability, with media player that can browse network shares
    - USB connection, with media player

Any suggestions appreciated!!

Thanks,
    David

2. whowalks

whowalks Member

samsung 6 and 7n series LCD do both

3. Drew_

Drew_ Member

Parents have a 6 series LCD, although it does play some media it is a pain in the ass because you can't rewind.

4. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

Any tv with DNLA can do it. So current sony bravias, samsungs with dnla etc.

I'm going sony bravias through the whole house, as i prefer the xmb-style interface.

Edit: just re-read your post.. bravias don't do network shares, but it will connect to a media server (ala ps3 media server).

5. runkett

runkett Member

I have an 8 series Samsung, yes you can stream to yet, yes its good to have one less box, but you are still better off with the extra box.

As Drew said there are issues with some formats and not being able to rewind/fast forward (from memory avi's I could but MKVs I could not) - and there is no resume fuction, so if something happens and a 2.5 hour movie get inturupted for any reason at the 2 hour mark... yeah you get to watch the whole thing again to see the end.

There is also the issue of getting the sound out (again depends on the media in question) - issues with DTS and I am pretty sure most of the time it only spits out 2 chan for anything other than DTV - no a problem if you dont use external speakers, but really everyone should be.

Basicly its a great idea but poorly implemented in every tv ive seen - if it worked like an xtreemer built in it would be awesome, but its only half there so you are better off with the extra $200 box.

6. Vegemiteman

Vegemiteman Member

I have a Series 7 LED and it plays both avi and mkv and I can rewind and fast forward both file types

I have not set it up on the network as yet however I just whack whatever I want on a USB key and im done

7. runkett

runkett Member

Hrm maybe it was able to FF from USB but not network, has been a while since i bothered with it. There was definatly something that made it more hassle than it was worth

8. OP
    OP
    talib82

talib82 Member

Hmmm, thanks for the comments guys.. might just get a cheaper screen and a Mediagate. Tis a tried and true setup :p

9. OP
    OP
    talib82

talib82 Member

Actually do you guys know anything about the WD HD Live devices? Can they play network content from Windows 7 shares??