LCD482-S Generic LCD Desk Mount Review

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by AMD2400, Feb 3, 2011.

1. AMD2400

AMD2400 Member

Aye guys, dunno if this should go in this forum, or general hardware, so ill post here and see what happens.

Link here:

Selby Acoustics's LCD 482-s

Just wanted to show you guys an experience ive had with this LCD stand i bought to replace my Dell 2408WFP stand (Lacking height when in portrait mode with my other 24, BenQ 241w).

This stand is for ONE LCD, and its arm is double-articulated, comes in a matte black finish, and mounts to the desk via a clamp that is adjustable to the thickness of your desk.

[​IMG]

Came in a generic box, im getting way to used to boxes with flashy designs on them :lol:

[​IMG]

This stand is simple as they come, with no fancy gas assisted struts for effortless movement, nor any spring assisted hinges. Adjustment of the hinges is by tightening the screws with a Allen key. This proves a hindrance for any heavy monitor, which ill talk about towards the end of this review. On the plus side, the actual arm and pole are very well built and have a very solid feel :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Height adjustment is permanent with 2 screws, its not variable like with some other mounts which use a clamp sorta style. :thumbdn:

[​IMG]

From this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Admittedly i had more junk on the table, such as my old laptop kb + mouse, but now it looks much more cleaner and is now easy to adjust the monitor forward when im watching movies/ TV eps.

I can also move the monitor further back against the wall so it gives that fake feeling i have more space.

[​IMG]

A bit of Sag here after a couple of days using this mount (or maybe its my flimsy desk? my desk is 1.5cm thick of some random wood so i cant really tell), the Dell 2408 is around 6 kgs on its own, i know newer monitors will be much lighter then this. For instance my Dell E248wfp is around 5kgs.

[​IMG]

Cable management can be clean with the included cable management clips.

[​IMG]

I had to move the stand a bit forward to get this configuration:

[​IMG]

+
    • Stand is great quality, would trust heavy monitors on this, i.e anything below 10kgs. But read the negatives before you take this risk.
    • Saves some space on your Desk.
    • Able to move your monitor forward for movies and games. Great if you do these on the bed, or on some other sitting device :lol:
    • Nice height for a 24 inch moitors, you shouldn't have it up high anyways, bad ergonomics if IT in yr10 has taught me anything.
    • Cable management makes it look smick

-
    • Any monitors that are heavier then the 2408WFP (6kgs) will have trouble with the tilt adjustment. I have nearly overtightened my screws on this stand and the monitor has a tendency to tilt down when im adjusting it. :thumbdn:
    • I assumed since this stand is dual arm, that the arms would fold in at 180 degrees so its close to the pole as possible. This stand DOES NOT do this, and you can only move it at most 100 degrees
    • For the reason above, the stand feels quite limited in movement.
    • Height adjustment isnt easy. Looks like a two person job.
    • Cannot adjust the pivot to portrait mode resistance, so it quite easy to make the monitor go off to one side.

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions, be glad to answer them for you. :thumbup:

AMD2400.

2. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Nice Liger Zero :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    AMD2400

AMD2400 Member

thanks mate, zoids ftw

4. skitter.rusty

skitter.rusty Member

Love it, really makes the desk look cleaner! :thumbup:.
    I've been thinking about something similar for my 24", except my Ikea desk is pretty much hollow on the inside. I suppose I'd have to get one to mount on the wall.

5. Southead

Southead Member

Im using the Selby LCD482T 3x monitor stand atm and found it to be the best on the market for the price (mine was AU$129 + $14 postage)

I have the same griefs with the stand as AMD2400 ie.

• Tilt adjustment could be tweaked (very hard to tighten and is a two person job).
    • Pivot tilt can be a problem if the monitor is bumped (no tightening screw for that).
    • Height Adjustment is very dificult and is a two person job.

Additionally over the past 3 months the left monitor has saged by 4-5mm and the right has lifted 4-5mm. Honestly I had expected this, and will be adding additional vertical supports under the left and right arms to provide better balance.

Considering this was cheaper than any other 3 monitor configuration by over AU$300, and I had recieved quotes on other types of designs of up to $850 including shipping, the product is extremely good value for money and I would thoroughly recomend it to anyone looking to run a Portrait Suround setup.

EDIT: Sorry for the Hijack

Pic of it all setup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  6. brayway

brayway Member

Nice little review, i got almost the exact same one from ebay for like $30 only difference is that the cables don't go inside the pole, but on the outside with the same clips as whats on the arm :thumbup: Great stand though, love it :tongue:

7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

could i use this triple for landscape on my 24"'s?
    it says on the site its suitable only for upto 19" screens.

Im spewing i didnt know about this last year, when I happened to live really close to one of their outlets >_>

8. Southead

Southead Member

And that would be about right, in portrait the maximum distance is about 3-4 inches on the inside of each outer screen - so a 24 inch landscape setup would need about 2-3 times that I would think.

EDIT: For the price you could probably get a Tilt/Pivot Desk Mount LCD480S and 2x Full Motion Desk Mount for a total cost of $189.85 plus postage - a pretty cheap solution.

In comparison when I was getting prices for mine there was one mount (It says 4 but that us up to 22")that I found that did 3x 24" landscape and it was over $900 before postage when including additional 16" mounting poles to lift the monitors high enough off the desk to be useful.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  9. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

thanks southead, I looked at a few and they were very pricey. I've been contemplating getting stands for some time but all of them were usually rather pricey. finding a solution for under $300 is great.

I'll definitely give strong consideration in getting the 3 mounts when I can afford to buy them :)

cheers

10. dead_man

dead_man Member

nice review. just wishing i could find a triple monitor stand that would hold my 2707 and 2x 20x 4:3 screens side by side easily

also does anyone know where to get those style CRT Arms anymore? would be perfect for my workspace at home :D

11. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I'd love to get something like this but my bench butts up against the wall, would there be a wall mounted version? which perhaps has some angle options?

12. dish_x

dish_x Member

wow southead nice setup
    +2 for tf2 and g19 represent :thumbup:
    I've always been interested in a 3-monitor setup for gaming with 24"s
    Is portrait better than landscape? or is it just a preference thing?

Thanks

Dish

edit: +1 more for the g9x :D

13. Southead

Southead Member

Well Really its down to preference, since I wear glasses, my peripheral vision is pretty crap so having 3x 24" in landscape I dont get the full benefit. I found that I just loved the portrait environment, for my vision it's just right and as I'm a tall guy i appreciate the extra height.

I also think 16:10 is perfect for FPS and MMO gaming, most FPS's support 16:10 anyway and there is no distortion you might find in landscape modes, and for MMO's you get a huge amount of screen realestate for mods, bags, extra bars etc.

14. OP
    OP
    AMD2400

AMD2400 Member

Wow, didnt think there was any interest in this since it was generic. Appreciate the the feedback guys :thumbup:

I bought another quite recently, so ill review that also.

Aye, nice setup, never did try a portrait setup when i had 3x24's.

Value for money is definitely why i got one of these, i love my monitors but i can't justify paying 300+ for a stand. These definitely do the job quite nicely.

Have you tried adding a washer/spacer to the that tilt screw? For some reason it worked wonders for my unit, and the tilt function is greatly improved (i.e if i try to tilt adjust it, it can support its own weight now).

Aye, i saw those and bought the exact same unit. Both my monitors are on poles now :D. I thought the difference in pole thickness would effect how sturdy the unit would be. But there is no difference.
    These ext clip ones i'd say are a much better stand, as all you have to do is un tighten at the pole for height adjustment. (no longer a two person job to adjust your height)
    Also i don't know if these where more recent units to the original one in this review, but the tilt adjustment is much more robust. It seems to support the same weight better then the one i reviewed.

Just get 3 of these stands then. I haven't checked but the one i got more recently (cables clip to the side and height adjustment is much beter) cost me $30 + $20 shipping. Assuming that shipping doe sent cost any more you could have a surround setup for $110 all adjustable.

I also assume these can support around 10kgs without the articulating arms for that 2707 of yours. The one i originally reviewed can be transformed to have no articulating arms and hold more weight with next to no sag. I havent tried taking apart the newer one i have, but it should be same deal.

I saw a couple of the same CRT mounts i am using with my ibook (the laptop on the right), going for pretty cheap (on the forums i think?) very helpful, and are so oldschool they have a keyboard holder with it. :thumbup:

There are a buttload of wall mounted ones on ebay. Don't know what you mean by angle, but they can pivot, move forward and tilt. Pretty cheap too :thumbup: It's either that or screw it into the table, but the wall mount option is much more height friendly.

15. bandwagon_rider

bandwagon_rider Member

any chance you could link me to this?

I am in the process of buying a monitor and want to use this stand - it will weigh nearly 10kg so i want the tilt to be acceptable :p

i also cant help but notice in the first photo the stand has room for about 6 screws to be fixed to a surface, yet your computer desk seems to have a tickness of about 2cm. how does this work??

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  16. Sven76

Sven76 Member

You dont actually screw it to the desk the holes you see on the pole are for the bottom clamp to be positioned at the correct thickness ..... so you fasten the doo hicky on the left at the bottom onto the pole at the right width for your desk then turn the silver whatsits to clamp it to the desk :)

17. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

Old review, but thanks for it, bought 2 for my dual setup.
    Absolutely huge compared to the LCD502 I got a while back for family pc

[​IMG]

18. bandwagon_rider

bandwagon_rider Member

it appears some of you guys should invest more money into the computer benches all your expensive equipment sit on before splurging on said equipment :p

19. OP
    OP
    AMD2400

AMD2400 Member

Soz man, didnt realise someone revived this one. Here is the other one i bought:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-LC...uters_Monitor_Accessories&hash=item3f0a0dd71f

Tilt seems to be sturdier then the one i reviewed here, though you have no real baseline since you dont have one :tongue:. Also the main pole is skinner then the one i reviewed. More a mental thing coz bigger is better right?

All i can say is that I would be iffy if you where going to put a 10KG monitor on this (probally a 30 inch aye :lol:). I dont change the monitors position much, but when i do i always have to re tighten the tilt adjustment. I'd imagine you'd have to do this alot more with a 3kg heavier monitor.

As mentioned before, of the six holes you only really use 4 of them for the clamp. The extra two are there to clamp onto fatter desks.

If you do take the gamble and purchase a 10kg monitor and this mount, dont forget to post pics in this thread! Would be interesting to see how how much abuse they can take :thumbup:

Just a update while im here, 5 or so months on since buying this stand:
    After 5 months of ownership i am beginning to see the stands leaning towards the left. That or i am going crazy, or my desk is starting to bend, who knows?

20. Halfie

Halfie Member

I have that exact one, purchased not too long ago. I find that there is significantly less sag if you drop it to just one of the arms instead of both.

Two things I've noticed that should be taken as a forewarning:

1. The grips inside the clamp (the one that goes over the pole) are made of hard plastic, not rubber, and therefore doesn't grip the pole very well at all, unless you tighten it up a lot, which brings me to point 2:

2. I tightened it up so that it wouldn't drop downwards or swivel on the pole, and snapped the metal clamp in half. Luckily, OzPlaza got back to me in less than a day, and immediately sent out a replacement clamp, free of charge. No need to send it back to base or anything.

I'm pretty sure this was an isolated incident though, because I've purchased a few of them for friends and family members, and none of the others have broken.

Additionally: even snapped in half, it held my monitor up just fine, which is pretty awesome.