Leak test failed, water everywhere. Things i should do?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Lan Addict, May 21, 2019.

1. Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Hi all,

I'm no stranger to watercooling, been doing it for the last 10 years but the build im working on now is my 4th hard loop ive ever done. This is the first leak ive ever had and luckily i had it in leak test.

I had a seperate PSU pin modded with only the water pump on to complete the leak test. It was running for about 5 minutes until one of the hard push fittings at the bottom left of the pump burst (see picture below prior to testing).

Water maily dropped below into the lower section of the case where i had nothing but i had alot of splatter on the underside of the GPU and on the bottom of the MOBO.

I'm looking for things to do to be ultra cautious before i go testing equiptment or turning anything on?

Things ive done already:
    1. Removed all parts, pulled apart water blocks and any peices of any part and seperated it all onto a counter top with a mild heater pushing warm air on them for 1-2 hours.
    2. use a bit of alcohol with a brush on sections that got really wet and wiped it off thoroughly.
    3. Pull all components out of my case including all water loop parts and cleaned them thoroughly.
    4. Let all parts dry for about 6 hours after doing the above
    5. Tested some minor equiptment that didnt get water on it to rule out an future failures. Eg PSU, fans, lights, water pump. confirmed working.
    6. Installed all the parts back into the case including water loop. With external PSU got all case fans to run overnight and will leave them till this afternoon so roughly 18 hours. Want to get a good flow of air going through the case to dry of anything ive missed.
    7. I've fixed the fitting that burst with a new fitting and also put compressed air via the water drain valve into the loop and going to be leaving that compressed air in for 18 hours to see if the pressure holds.

[​IMG]

2. power

power Member

was the machine on?

ndb, just clean any coolant off completely and let everything dry.

3. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

nah, only a external PSU i use for testing with it pin modded to turn it on and the water pump to test the loop. nothing else was powered on

4. power

power Member

it'll be fine, it's electricity AND water that don't mix. :)

if you want to be 100% safe from anything like corrosion use some electronics cleaner spray - probably necessary but you never know if you'll have corrosion start anywhere as most water has some oxidants in it. Sounds like you've done all that though.

5. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

i just used a bit of isopropyl alcohol. It was in the paint section at bunnings, ive used isopropyl 90%+ which is illegal now in the past when i had some water/electrical cleaning. This one i got from bunnings doesnt say the content of alcohol but id say its much less. You think its still neccessary to use the elec cleaner? jaycar should sell it yes?

6. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

7. power

power Member

a lot of water has oxidants in it and will cause corrosion (think salt or fingerprints on components) so cleaning that off is somewhat necessary. I assume your coolant was pH neutral though?

8. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

It was distilled water + Mayhems Pastel UV White 250ml Concentrate

9. power

power Member

10. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Ok thanks mate, just dont want to rush anything at this point. Done everything with the best of my knowledge but always good to check with others (ocau forums) to see if i have missed anything before i make a fatal error.

11. power

power Member

as i said, electronics + water = a bad time, people have even been known to use dishwashers to clean old motherboards. so it's not an issue if corrosive material is removed and the component is sufficiently dried.

12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

13. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

i do have another questin that one of you might be able to answer quickly. After inspecting the documentation video 5 minutes ago i took whilst completing the water test (when it failed) i realised i did have all components unplugged except one. I had my GPU plugged in (must of forgotten about it). I didnt have the motherboard or the CPU power plugged in so i doubt the GPU would have received any or much power without that turning on but i wanted to know whats the chances of this causing any issue?

The gpu barely got any water on it anyways due to water block plate underside completely covers the PCB. When i inspected the PCB after removing the water block there was no water on there at all. Nor did i have any type of electical surge or anything of that type. But just to ease my mind. do either of you know if the PCIe port on the motherboard doesnt get power to it, and the GPU power is plugged in, will the GPU have power running through it completely or partially. Im sure there would be some sort of power being sent to the GPU power cables so it has to go somewhere but surely not all of it turns on/powers up.

14. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Au contraire! The problem is that electricity & water mix entirely too well! :p

Water on components and boards isn't a problem except when powered up. It's because the electricity shorts through the water & that is what damages the components, not the water itself, usually by putting higher voltages on lower voltage components. This then over volts those components & burns them out.

Just don't try rinsing a membrane keyboard in isopropyl! The tracks under the keys printed on the plastic sheets gets dissolved and it kills the keyboard deader than the original spill. (Speaking from sad experience, here.) Also why spilling an alcoholic drink on most keyboards will kill them.

--

Back when I worked at QANTAS as an avionics tech, typical cleaning procedure for crudded up electronics, (tar when smoking was still allowed*, mostly just salts afterwards), was to was in soapy water, rinse in clean tap water, then rinse in isopropyl** & dry in oven at ~80C for 30 minutes. You should be fine.

* We had things come in that had thick sticky gunge all over them where the cabin air was recirculated for cooling before being vented outside. Tar required an initial scrubbing with X55 solvent. (Just looked it up, naphtha with n-hexane(10-30%) & ethylbenzine(<10%)) Some things came in & you had components fall off the boards because the only thing left holding them in place was the tar, because it had corroded through the legs! Most boards had conformal coating to protect them, but sometimes it got through that as well... If they had coating, procedure for most repairs was water based paint stripper, wash in water, isopropyl rinse, replace components, post solder cleaning, test, recoat before full test.

** When I first started there as an apprentice in '84 we used water, then 100% lab standard ethanol, (banned because it is too toxic!), and a final rinse of freon for a residue free result. (And this was just for after any soldering!) Freon was banned, then the ethanol was replaced with pure isopropyl, as it is fairly residue free for rinsing as well.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    power likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

this was what my grandad gave me a bottle of. He used to work for WA Transformers back in the 50s-70s as an engineer and he had tonnes of the stuff. Unfortunatly ive run out and they dont supply this anymore. Gosh it was great, sure it was toxic but by the time your wiping something with it, its evaporating instantly.

16. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Well, I always figured, if I really wanted it, I could always buy some lab equipment, set up a basic still on my desk & buy some cheap vodka...

edit: I just remembered the Polish Pure Spirit a friend once brought to a party for people to try & taste. (It had no taste, and at room temp, you couldn't tell when your tongue touched it, until it came out & you felt it evaporating!) That was 80% abv!

17. OP
    OP
    Lan Addict

Lan Addict Member

Loop finished, PC working no issues after all.