1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning the Sax

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by .Anon., Nov 6, 2016.

1. .Anon.

.Anon. Member

Hey all,

I've been looking at learning an instrument for some time now. I've got my mind set on the saxophone, unfortunately I know two fifths of fuck all about them. Is there anyone that has any knowledge of the instrument on what to look out for? I'm also chasing a cheap one.

Thinking maybe some dirt cheap banger off ebay to get me started, once i'm getting better then i'll invest in a better product.

2. Duncan

Duncan Member

I've been playing for about 18 years and can say you pretty much get what you pay for with saxophones. Are you looking at an alto or tenor (or other)? If you're keen on getting one you can hold onto for a while, then I'd recommend any of the Yamaha student models (you'll pay a little more but they're solid and reliable). If you're just interested in paying as little as possible to see if it's something you'd like to pursue, then one of the $350 ebay ones will do that for you (their sound will be very shallow in comparison, and the pad sealing won't be the best, it'll be quite 'clacky' overall and bits will come loose fairly quickly, but enough for you to make a decision :)).

3. OP
    OP
    .Anon.

.Anon. Member

Thanks. I was even wondering if I just buy a reed or mouthpiece part and see if i can just do lessons for a while to ease myself into it.

4. Duncan

Duncan Member

Yeah that's another option :) If you grab a mouthpiece and a few different strength reeds (say a 2, 3, 3.5 etc) and practice getting a steady sound out of it before you get a sax (it'll sound like a kookaburra but that's ok) then you'll be a bit further along when you have your first go on the full setup.

5. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

can you not hire an instrument from a local music store?

did that for my son for a year...now hiring through his high school

EDIT - in terms of purchasing one, you do get what you pay for....so we were looking at a nice Yamaha, but will hold out for a while