Learning to program for fun

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by [deckard], May 6, 2008.

1. [deckard]

[deckard] Member

For somebody wanting to learn a programming language for fun and to gather a reasonable understanding of what programming involves, would either Pascal or Python be a decent choice?

2. Primüs

Primüs Member

i hear python is a good choice. depends if you want application or web development. Also depends if your looking at procedural or Object Oriented. From what i hear Java is probably the best to learn for object oriented but if your looking ot get into web development then i strongly recommend PHP.

3. xsive

xsive Member

Yes. Python is more straightforward and higher level. Pascal is a low(er) level language with more power but less expressiveness.

It doesn't matter what language you pick so stop stressing it. Get a book, hack some code :)

4. checkers

checkers Member

Quite simply, just NO. Pascal is a similar level language to Python, it is just statically typed instead of a dynamically typed language. You have a more or less equal level of abstraction otherwise, although Python gives you access to more abstract representations of some data forms.

It should be quite obvious though that Pascal is not more powerful. You have equal access to the hardware (python is very capable of using SDL or even direct device driver emulation via pyrex or a C lib), in the same and more ways that Pascal is. Pascal was originally written as a teaching language, whether it is still useful for that purpose is not something I'm sure of anymore.

5. jkmatt

jkmatt Member

We were taught PASCAL in Infomation Processing Technology during grade 11 (QLD). That was in, umm 2002 i think, though our teacher could do (FORTRAN?) on a punch card from memory.

Choice of language isnt that important, find a decent book, online resource your comfortable with and get typing. Check the sticky.

6. Namheul

Namheul Member

Why not try C# or C or Java?

7. OP
    OP
    [deckard]

[deckard] Member

Don't know. I chose Pascal and Python because they're both well documented online and are said to be reasonable starting points. The stickies are great, thank you.

Can anybody recommend a good newbie book for any language? Online tutorials are great, but I think a book would be handy.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  8. Namheul

Namheul Member

Im not sure how correct i am, but i was under the impression that Pascal and Python were not used too much these days. When i did my comp science degree, we never even discussed them at all.

9. oculi

oculi Member

bah, learn assembly language

10. OP
    OP
    [deckard]

[deckard] Member

Thanks for the spanner. :p

11. OP
    OP
    [deckard]

[deckard] Member

Pascal and Python may not be commonly used in a professional environment but I'm just learning as a hobby. I'm 26. I don't see myself working for any software companies in the future. I'm barely skimming the surface at the moment.

EDIT: Checking out Ruby also.

12. Luke212

Luke212 Member

yes but there is widespread support for the professional languages.

Learn c#.net its no harder than the other languages and it is well supported.
    Whatever you do dont learn c or c++ first, they will turn you off programming ;)

13. alexc

alexc Member

As someone who has recently been getting into some more serious coding and development I've found that you end up learning bit of everything :)

I learned some Obj-C because I use a Mac and Xcode interested me. Then I learned some Ruby and the Rails framework because that interested me and I wanted to do some web dev.

Now I'm learning JS and PHP5 and have mostly settled on that for what I want.

Ruby was a nice language to learn about Object Oriented programming, I thought anyway. :)

Al

14. OP
    OP
    [deckard]

[deckard] Member

Thanks guys.

I've taken xsive's advice and jumped right into it. I downloaded Python and am working through some beginner tutorials.

If anybody knows of a good Python book, please let me know. I'll definitely be looking for one.

15. Stinger

Stinger Member

Since when has academia ever been particularly in touch with the real world. :D
    I have to say that I agree with your choice. Python is a good language and reasonably easy to learn imo.
    bash quote

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  16. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

:) We did Pascal in IPT in 1987 ;-)

17. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

I learned c++ first, I have nothing against programming now =) just means i get frustrated when other languages try to do useful things for me =P

18. Luke212

Luke212 Member

you were probably forced to learn it right?

19. OP
    OP
    [deckard]

[deckard] Member

Loving Python even I'm just working with very simple 'if' statements at the moment. Gotta start somewhere.

Out of curiosity, if I wanted to learn a little web development, which language would you suggest? I know html and a little CSS. Would a language like PHP be suitable for a newbie?

EDIT: Just did a quick search of the forums. Maybe I should brush up on my CSS before I even think about PHP.

20. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I reakon you can try PHP and CSS

I mean using CSS within PHP is great,

Even try setting up something like

www.oscommerce.com

On a local Apache server, and then edit it the way you want. As you'll have to change the CSS styles of each template and you can add pages and learn a bit more about that.

Just a thought,

Im learning python myself atm, what tutorials you looking at?

http://www.developer.com/open/article.php/625901

Thats what im looking at, i started learning PHP a yera or two ago but dropped the ball a bit.

Trying to get a solid basis, starting with Python and then ill be looking at Java/C# then C++

Mainly because options open for me at my current job if im able to understake small tasks.

Just gotta stick with it!