LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Thanks, yeah I've seen that site, nice lights but too expensive! might have to go the povo route. hehe.

2. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Just ordered MTE SSC P7 5-Mode and 4 more 18650 cells. Took it in preference to the 2-mode that you ordered Jakiman as it seems slightly smaller and I want to use it as a bike light. But woulda preferred the 2-mode operation.

Can't wait to try it out and see how it compares with the Rominsen RC-T5. Hopefully this little P7 will be another 'wow' torch as well!

Now the usual DX waiting game begins. :lol:

3. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

I take it that means the charger is hardwired. I'm thinking about paying the extra couple of dollars for one of the chargers that has a standard 2pin figure8 connector.

Any comments on http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251 ?

Looks similar to this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4151 , but doesn't have such a bad reputation

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

If anyone is interested in a nice / simple LED torch see my for sale in my sig...

If you search 'LED Lenser' in this thread you'll see me talking about it a while back too. :thumbup:

5. PrinceCharming

PrinceCharming Member

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting the Fenix TA30. It uses 3V CR123A batteries. Is it ok to use this torch with 3.6V batteries?

6. jakiman

jakiman Member

According to the specs, it says the following:

- Powered by three 3V CR123A or 4.2V RCR123A batteries

So the answer is Yes. It supports RCR's fine.

7. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

I just got a SureFire E1B Backup...best $200 I ever spent, it's awesome!

Temporarily blinding people has never been so much fun...

8. PrinceCharming

PrinceCharming Member

I see, thanks mate!

9. thebranded

thebranded Member

10. jakiman

jakiman Member

Very tough question. WF-606A Q5 would be much brighter and better throw.
    But RC-N3 can be used with a single RCR also. Both are quite well made. :thumbup:

11. JaC

JaC Member

I <3 my RC-N3. I use it the most of my 3 2xAA torches, though it's not perfect. My Q5 torch is much brighter, and it has a dicky tailcap swith that won't latch half of the time. I just keep the switch latched on permanently now and twist the whole tailcap 1/4 turn to turn it on/off.

12. jakiman

jakiman Member

I've finally updated my CPF thread with some more photos and 1 more light review. :D
    I got tons of backlog so expect more things to come from me frequaently over the next few weeks.

13. ballfire99

ballfire99 Member

hey thx for your reviews! keep up the good work.
    been following your reviews for ages and accumulated a few torches over the past 2yrs

romisen f4
    mini 3w cree
    cree ultrafire c2
    aurora wf-600
    eastward yj-18wa

so far i'm loving this new eastward.
    the aurora has a greater intensity in the spot but it is too narrowed beamed c/w the eastward, but the eastward is as bright if not brighter with a wider beam angle.

i have noticed the light output of the aurora decreasing since the time i bought it a year ago .do these leds degenerate over time ?

14. BigandY

BigandY Member

Hi guys,

Been reading this thread, got through the first two pages (at 75ppp) and gave up trying to read the whole thing :thumbup:

So, I'm after a suggestion please. Want a cheap (read max $20, around $10 would be ideal because I'm buying a few) LED torch. Would like one that takes a single AA battery because I can't be arsed mucking around with rechargables.

I think aside from the price and battery, the two other priorities would be nice and bright, and also decent build quality (doesn't have to be fantastic, but good enough to rattle around in my glovebox, and under the seat of my motorbike).

So what's the brightest single AA LED torch for around $10-$15? Would this be the go? Or are there any other suggestions I should consider?

15. ccmarci

ccmarci Member

That's the one I was going to recommend for your price range. I have one and it's very good for the price. I've also got one of these
    http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-149/Romisen-RC-dsh-G2-II-Cree/Detail
    and it's VERY impressive. Well worth the extra money.

16. jakiman

jakiman Member

Just an FYI - I've now started posting flashlight stuff on my website. (in my sig)
    I think this will be my very own portal to post new reviews, news etc about flashlights.
    Just a simple homepage for now. Maybe the design will change later. Maybe not. =P

Anyways. Have a peek if you are bored. :D

17. lench

lench Member

can anyone explain why luxeon bulb torches never work properly?
    ive owned a few Cree C3's and a generic luxeon bulb one and all three had the same characteristic
    when on, they flicker like they arent getting enough power from the batts (freshly charged) then not long after they just completely die
    i probably have a bad batch but its been bad enough for me to never buy them again :mad:

18. sKyz

sKyz Member

Surprising enough, I've also got an UltraFire C3 and it has the same issue. Bad batch? :thumbdn:

19. BigandY

BigandY Member

Hey so question - I've got a couple of cheapie AA-powered (Cree I think) torches. They were great when I first got em, but now two of them have started not working properly. turn them on, nothing, shake bash flicker, on for a bit, then flicker then off again. could it be the batteries? Haven't changed them, still got the shitty ones they came with.

20. Rass

Rass Member

I picked up a LED Lenser dual head lamp from catchoftheday a little while back. Very impressed with it!

It uses 3 x AAA and outputs 31 lumens apparently. It's quite comfy to wear since the batteries are in a pack on the back of your head, so the weight is pretty well distributed.