LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. thebranded

thebranded Member

cheers, went with the WF-606A and extremely happy with it. i only use AA's not the RCR's.

One issues i did have was that the battaries run down rather fast (proberally becasue they are cheep battaries.)

but you posted here picture "4"

can this switch be adapted for the WF-606A to give me a low power mode?

2. jakiman

jakiman Member

Do you use rechargeable AA NiMhs? NiMhs should last a lot longer than Alkalines.

In regards to the switch, I don't think that Eastrard's size will fit.
    You'll need to take out your switch module and measure it and see.
    If you can't mod the switch, then only a driver change will give you a changeable output mode.
    btw, for future stuff, use my website if possible. I'm trying to keep my flashlight stuff there now. =)
    (the site design is still under construction but the basic facilities won't change)

3. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

I need a good, solid, heavy whackin' stick which doubles as a daylight emitter.

i love my SureFire E1B Backup (can cook eggs, but no good for whackin').

i like the ol' 4D LED Maglite (good for whackin', but no good at cookin' eggs).

are there any good replacements for the good ol' 4D or 6D LED Maglite with awesome-level light output? cost is not a real object unless things start getting silly (<$500), requirements are simply 1. good for whackin' people if absolutely necessary and 2. can cook eggs really really bright.

i was contemplating The Torch (i think that's what it was called...the one they cook scrambled eggs with in the demo video). the 10 minute run time isn't a concern...but it looked a fair bit smaller than a 4D Mag.

suggestions?

(disclaimer: not a psychopath. just more concerned about home invasions than the average bear)

4. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I went a little bit overboard in the last month.

I initially wanted to buy some cheap lights and ended up purchasing the following from DX:
    - UltraFire WF-606A
    - UltraFire A10

I then found the flashlight forum that is CPF. Before I knew it, I ended up purchasing these:
    - EagleTac T10L
    - Neutral White Quark AA² Tactical (this has just been shipped, and I have yet to receive it)

I also purchased some various batteries here and there from DX as well and they all managed to arrive to Australia despite the issues with AusPost is having with lithium batteries.

One other thing, CPF managed to sucker me into buying a new charger as well. Actually, two of the same charger - a Maha MH-C9000.

5. BigandY

BigandY Member

holy shit that programmable torch looks awesome!

6. jakiman

jakiman Member

I can think of 2 decent flashlights right now.
    Both are super bright and made to last. :D

- Olight M30 Triton
    http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=86&products_id=1488

- Tiablo ACE-G
    http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=114&products_id=1484

Wow. Great collection of lights you got there. I've also got a few more flying my way soon. Can't wait..!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  7. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Hey jakiman, is there any better torches like the Aurora WF-600 around the same price? The Aurora WF-600 seems to be the best all rounder for me, great battery life and only 2 modes, more then 2 for me is a pain in the arse.

8. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Unless I"m mistaken, neither of those come close to the form-factor of a 4D mag.

I've got the Mag brand LED upgrade in my 4D - and while I have plenty of other torches that over-power it, its PLENTY bright for 'home defence' duties! haha. Still the torch that lives next to my bed for investigating things that go bump in the night. It's still pretty hard to argue with the side mounted, 'forward' clicky on it too.

When you think about it, 4 D cells should provide more than enough Vf to get a nice MC-E running all 4 dies in parallel at 3.7V regulated. Is there a drop in upgrade that does this? Should use a buck regulator I think.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  9. jakiman

jakiman Member

There are many which is similar to the WF-600 in price / shape but better.

Such as the EastwardYJ YJ-XGR2 Cree R2 2-mode.
    It should be brighter with better throw.
    Should use standard 2-mode resistor switch. (resistor for low mode)
    - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17382

Or the Kaidomain Long Throw R2

Kaidomain's own flashlight. I have the Q5 model and it's one of my favs.
    It can tailstand, has a 1-mode switch module and 2-mode at driver level.
    Also has HAIII anodizing which is actually really well done. I really like it.
    - http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1111

I've reviewed the early version of this flashlight at my site.
    http://www.jayki.com/4942#0

10. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Thanks I'll look into it, I like the 600 but yeah I wanted something even brighter. :weirdo:

11. Rod911

Rod911 Member

The Quark AA² Tactical has finally been delivered, and I must say, I do like it.

Here are my very quick thoughts on each of them.

UltraFire A10
    - its hotspot is quite large
    - more flood rather than throw
    - it's bright, but 220 lumens bright, I don't think so
    - the colour of the light is on the cool side
    - after a month's use, stored with a set of keys, the bezel has already seen some chipping
    - power source was a li-ion 14500 cell
    - I have tried a nimh on this, and the output is ever so marginally lower compared to a li-ion

UltraFire WF-606A
    - hotspot is small
    - it's a thrower
    - it's bright and the quoted 230 lumens is probably stretching the truth a tad bit
    - the light output is on the cool side like the A10, however, it's more 'white' compared to the A10 that has the ever-so-slightest tinge of blue
    - it stays bright for quite some time (say at least 40 minutes on a newly charged set of nimhs), but the head does get warm after an hour's use
    - after it starts dimming down, you still have useable light for the next hour or so

EagleTac T10L
    - it's hotspot is the same size as WF-606A with a ceiling bounce test, however, at over 10 metres, the hotspot is more focused (thus brighter) on the T10L compared to the WF-606A
    - it throws quite well, further than WF-606A
    - the light output is, again, more 'white' than WF-606A. If you were to do a straight-up comparison between the colour of WF-606A vs T10L, you'd say the former had a blue tinge to it (but not as pronounced as the A10)
    - at low, the colour tends to become warmer compared to its high setting
    - its low setting is still bright, but not as bright as the A10
    - I haven't been able to do any sort of run-time tests
    - love the simple, twist design when selecting the preferred mode

Neutral White Quark AA² Tactical
    - hotspot is comparable once again to the WF-606A
    - because I chose a 'neutral' version of this light, the light output is naturally warmer than the other lights
    - at its highest setting, it is surprisingly brighter than WF-606A when doing a ceiling bounce test
    - edit: comparing the three lights sans A10, the hotspot and spill area of the Quark is about the same as the WF-606A. However, my preference does go to the Quark simply due to the colour rendition it offers. If the Quark was compared to the T10L, the T10L still wins hand down in terms of brightness.
    - I like the simplicity of the user interface (UI); simply choose two modes that you like, program it and you're set
    - the programming side of things is also very simple, quick and easy

From the above lights, if I were to list them from brightest to dimmest, it would go something like this:
    1st EagleTac T10L
    2nd Neutral White Quark AA² Tactical
    3rd UltraFire WF-606A
    4th UltraFire A10

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  12. berry580

berry580 Member

wow..... people here knows about Quark?!! =O

I go to CPF very often, I didn't really know there's such a hardcore flashaholic thread in OCAU until now.:thumbup:

My user name is also berrry580 in CPF btw. =)

Oh, I got the Quark Ti's, and they'll probably arrive in AU by the end of October, did anyone else get them?! :D

13. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I was too late to get my order in for a Quark Ti. However, my next light will have to be something in the AAA size. Possibly one of these, or wait for what 47s come up with in the AAA format.

14. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Hey guys.

I want to buy a cree flashlight.
    I already have myself one of these UV units
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10709
    Ultrafire WF-502B 1W UV

It takes one 18650 3.7V battery.

Now I want to get myself a similar white light torch.
    I have a charger and spare batteries already, so I want it to take one 18650 battery.

I'm not interested in multiple click modes.
    Something like this
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14027

Where do you guys get your torches from? I'm happy to buy the one linked above, but I'd prefer something with faster shipping. DealExtreme take forever to ship their items.

*EDIT* I should probably add that I'll be taking this bush with me. It needs to be rugged, and waterproof.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  15. berry580

berry580 Member

so do you want a flashlight with UV light or just a "normal" white light flashlight?

i can tell you that if you want a RELIABLE flashlight, the "CREE" brand or any anyFire (other than SureFire) is unlikely to be very reliable.

tell us what you want, and it'll be much easier for us to give you a suitable recommendation. and what's your budget?

16. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

Looked at the Energizer Hard Case range?

For example:

http://au.farnell.com/energizer/proi23a/torch-led-hard-case-2aaa/dp/1698168
    or
    http://au.farnell.com/energizer/proi23a/torch-led-hard-case-2aaa/dp/1698168

I have the headlight version (http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1698167) and it's the best headlight I've ever used, tough as nails, very bright, and while it is a 3AA the battery pack is at the back of the head so you don't notice the weight.

17. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I don't agree with the above - sure, you might occasionally get a 'dud' one, but generally if those cheapo DX torches work, they'll keep working.

It's more of a QA concern than a reliability issue.

18. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Sorry for not being clear with all the redundant information.

I'm after a white cree torch that can take 18650 batteries. Just one battery.

After talking to my brother who's happy with the white torch he got from DX, he wants to buy another one, so I think we're just gonna buy from DX.

Unless you guys can suggest some Australian sites from where to browse and buy a torch from.

Cheers,
    Duke.

19. berry580

berry580 Member

Well if you keep it for around the house work, that might be the case.
    But if you use it constantly with it potentially facing rough/harsh situations like dropping it on rocks (accidents do happen) etc, do luck with your torch when you really need it.

When we're talking about low end (DX lights) and mid-high range lights (Fenix, Nitecore, Jetbeam, Surefires, etc), I can assure you will be able to tell the difference even if you don't know its price. In the end, it could be just $10-$20 difference, but if you're going to be using it for years, I bet you'd wish you didn't save that few (ten/s) bucks.

Customer service is also another reason, and I'll stop here for now.

20. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Interesting choice of light. That's a 6P host and can be upgraded down the track with drop-in modules.

I've bought *Fire lights from DX previously as well, and I can honestly say, although they don't cost that much compared to the other lights I have, I have never been game enough to try out its waterproofing before. I guess it's probably safe to say that they're splash proof, but I wouldn't bet my life on it after it's been dunked in water. Note that I also clean and lube the threads of all my lights no matter their origin.

As for its ruggedness - I have dropped a Romisen RC-H3 onto carpet and have since had intermittent issues with it before biting the dust a couple of months ago, so YMMV.

Woot.com use to have a video showing them throwing this thing around and it is tough. Reading the specs of it, 30 lumens should be plenty bright if you're out in the bush and your only source of light is your flashlight. Just don't expect to use this light to see what's 100 metres ahead of you.

At the end of the day, if you do purchase a light from DX, before you go out on your trip, try to make the time to lube the threads and to test its waterproofing for yourself. Also, don't rely on taking the one light with you.

One last word...if you're willing to spend more, a Fenix TK20 is a good choice for outdoor use (even though it's an AA light).