LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I wonder if you order now, what would be the chances of getting stuff from DX before xmas and what's the deal with this bs new battery law from oz post?

2. hitman0042

hitman0042 Member

Why don't you consider buying a Maglite? They are really good quality

3. campbell

campbell Member

I think you forgot this: :rolleyes:, or perhaps this: :p.

4. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

5. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Good choice, but it's cheaper here even after converting it to AU$.

As for the batteries...if you matched the 1SM-2/WD R2 light with something like their extension tube, then it just simply means you can use more batteries to run on your light for longer periods of time without blowing it up.

6. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Hmm. Interesting. What about shipping? Is that included in the price?

7. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

What's so special with these torches?

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Thanks Rod, you're a legend. Just got an email back from Dereelight 30 minutes later. They ship worldwide for free :) Yay!

I'm sold now. Maybe I can spend the savings on the extension tube or something similar.

*EDIT* Order placed directly with Dereelight :)

Dereelight, or Cree-type torches in general? I came across the Dereelight while browsing on http://www.torchworld.com.au for 18650 battery torches, and it fit right into the price range I was looking at.
    Cree LED torches are much brighter and have better cones of light than compared to the standard "nipple" LED torches.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  9. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

But you can get cree torches for more then half the price from DX.

10. berry580

berry580 Member

Many of Dereelight's light can take "drop-ins" i.e. upgradeable

I know so does many DX lights, but Dereelights is a premium flashlight brand and obviously its built compared to DX light would be better, machine is expected to br better, and if you get from obe of its official dealers, I'd expected better after service as well.

Its a package that these "premium" brands have to offer, not just a single factor. The downside would obviously be the premium you have to pay first.

11. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I cannot believe how backwards DX is, I purchased goods on the 24th of November!!!! yet my goods leave HK The item ****** left Hong Kong for its destination on 12-Dec-2009, bloody pathetic.

12. Rod911

Rod911 Member

It also depends on what you order. Have bought goods from them before?

I purchased another set of 18650 cells from them on 14/11/2009 and they had it 'shipped' status by 19/11/2009. Despite it being sent from the warehouse on the 19th, I didn't receive it until 04/12/2009.

On the other hand, when I purchased a 'premium' light recently from a US based seller using their standard delivery method, here was the time line:
    - Paid on 29/11/2009 via PayPal
    - Received email shipped status confirmation on 30/11/2009
    - Got the new light on 08/09/2009

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up buying from DX?

13. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Heya,

Supposedly DX sent goods to HK post a few days after getting stuff from supplier, then the date at the HK post changed 3 times!! Can't remember what was before the "processing" stage but I think the dates were like 29/11 then the 6/12 and now 12/12 "shipped", everything better be in the package, last time one of the lights were missing, they treat you like you pinched it but managed to get another one.

Goods I ordered:

17382 EastwardYJ YJ-XGR2 Waterproof Cree R2-WC 2-Mode 250-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650/ 2*16340/2*CR123A) x 1 Shipped $29.90

17470 USB/AC Recharged 1W 65LM Luxeon LED Flashlight and Cell Phone/PDA Adapters (1*18650 Included) x 1 Shipped 27.39 <-sounded interesting

26249 UltraFire 18650 3.7V 3000mAh Lithium Batteries (2-Pack) x 1 Shipped $11.93 -

I'm only getting 18650 torches, awesome battery, lasts for ages.

14. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Their customer service is something left to be desired, but you do get what you pay for. For example, they have a set of Sanyo eneloops that I bought that turned out to be fake. So I posted a claim to them, and they're sending out a new set to me. I don't have my hopes up that what they're sending me are genuine though. A couple of notes about this experience:
    • :thumbup: The goods were delivered in September '09 and the claim was made 2 months later (11/17/2009) because I did some testing to determine its authenticity, and they've come back to me and will replace them
    • :thumbdn: They continue to sell the product
    • :thumbdn: Despite the product page for the eneloops saying it is in stock and will ship between 4 to 7 days, there is now a 'temporary stock shortage' according to my invoice

As for the lights you chose. The EastwardYJ looks like a decent light. With its SMO reflector, this thing should throw quite far (the beam itself, not the light :lol:). I'm also hating you for showing me that USB/AC recharger/light thing. That is now on my wish list! :D

One other thing, do be careful with those 18650 batteries you purchased. I have heard several reported cases of leakage on these. If you are going to buy an 18650 battery from DX, I recommend SKU.20392. Despite its 2400mah rating, it performs as well as my SoShine 2800mah (SKU.28678).

edit: oh yeah, I'm a fan of 18650 format as well. That's probably why I have 10 of these cells around my place (some for emergency stored in the fridge) and three lights that use them!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  15. AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

quick question, will this torch http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17382 run on normal AA batteries?

I couldnt really tell you why i have chosen this torch. It sounds like its very bright, good battery life and durable.

Anyone had an experience?

16. jakiman

jakiman Member

No. It does not run on normal AA/AAA batteries. If it says 18650 or CR123A or 14500 or 10440 and no mention of AA/AAA/C/D, it means it only works with those lithium batteries. Eastward makes okay flashlights. Nothing special. The build quality in my experience is average to sub-par. It might look solid on the outside but the contacts / switch etc aren't so reliable.

If you want better quality on a budget, try Romisen flashlights. (on DX also)
    Ultrafire ones are hit and miss also although it's getting better now.
    Check out my signature for some reviews that I've done and others have done.

This chart might be of some use. (Only flashligts I've reviewed...)
    http://www.jayki.com/flashlight_review_board/1045

This is the extension of my CPF sticky thread: (for weird reasons, the biggest ever thread at CPF :p)
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=222462

17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I actually bought some Eneloops from KD, seems to be ok, thank god, shame the torch I bought was shit. Glad you like that torch, I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully with the 3000mah's they should work fine if the batts don't leak, I currently use the blue TrustFire 2500mah's and they last ages! My best torch so far is the Aurora AK-P7-5, works awesome and it hasn't got that stupid circuit which stops the light from working once the voltage drops like my RC-F4.

You know if there is a mod which converts the RC-F4 to a light which eventually fades as the batts go flat? Also any recommendations on a key ring type torch which is really bright? I guess the AAA types would be the best.

18. Rod911

Rod911 Member

If you're willing to spend up to US$30 and hunt around eBay, you should be able to find yourself either an ITP A3 EOS or a Maratac AAA. They're both twisty lights though. If you want a clicky, you'll have to either shop around in DX or KD, or bump up your budget a bit more. I haven't had any experience with AAA lights bought from DX or KD, so I have no recommendations there sorry.

19. c0rr

c0rr Member

Cant believe there is a thread this big that's been going for so long dedicated to torches, only on OCAU :D.

Ive recently started doing security patrols and being that the majority of my work is at night, I need a good torch (or two). I'm currently using a 2xD maglite that was given to me by a room mate and a 4xD maglite that is in the company patrol car that I'm using. I'm inclined to believe that neither even have LED bulbs and they both leave a lot to be desired....

Much to my dismay it seems maglites are only well known due to the fact they can be used as a weapon, not for their ability to project light. So I'm looking to purchase probably 2 lights. A smaller torch that would be suitable for carrying on my person that would be used the majority of times just for routine walks in the dark, and another preferably larger/sturdier light that can light up the sky like the bat-signal does to Gotham City and can be used to... fight off unfriendly wildlife :leet:.

Obviously both will be used solely for work purposes so they need to be dependable, but I would only like to spend as much as quality/features/performance would dictate (I'm looking for a good balance of brightness/light focus and battery life - the torch will be used approx 1-2 hours a night and I don't want to be buying new batteries every 2nd day) From what Ive seen in this thread decent 2xAA/Nimh lights are in the $50-$100 bracket, and for larger "baton" style lights I haven't seen a whole lot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20. Rod911

Rod911 Member

c0rr, if you're happy with the Mag format, you do have the option to upgrade it with an LED. Have a look over lighthound and see if there's anything there that you fancy.

Otherwise, as I mentioned before, I'm a fan of 18650 based lights simply because of the run-time they provide as well as how bright lights can be.

For your small, all-around light that takes up 1*18650 cell, this is what I would recommend:

Cheap
    • Anything from DealExtreme (DX). Just make sure you read the reviews as they are fairly spot on and DX do publish negative reviews as well.
    • Romisen RC-M4 II Q5 2-Mode Tactical LED Flashlight which can be bought over at Shining Beam. It's a good brand and the service from the site is great, but you do have to pay for international shipping which is around US$6.50 IIRC.

Not so cheap
    • Fenix TK11
    • EagleTac T10L
    • Dereelight CL1H V4 w/ 3SD Cree XR-E R2. This light can be 'upgraded' as it has the ability to take drop-ins. Once newer LED technologies are around, you can simply replace the drop-in with the newest and greatest. This can be a fairly inexpensive way to get a 'new' light.

The above lights all have a very simple UI and they all (with the exception of the DX recommended light) have the ability to have at least a high or low setting with the latter a great addition if you're looking at preserving batter consumption, or you just don't need to use its brightest setting. Also, they don't have any sort of flashing modes, so again, very simple to use.

Now, as for your 'baton' style lights that are able to throw the light and touch some one. Again, you can go to DX and have a look there, but if you're planning to possibly using your light to hit someone with and continue to work afterwards, then I would be more inclined to get the following:
    • JetBeam M1X
    • ThruNite Catapult
    • Tiablo ACE-G
    Out of the three, the M1X is highly recommended because it has been out for a while and it just simply bright. I just got the Catapult last week, and it is a great light, but it is just new to the market and there has been issues with users being over zealous and tightening the head too much resulting in crushed circuitry and a broken light. The above lights have the ability to take 2*18650 cells.

If you do need more comprehensive advice, have a look at CandlePowerForums. You have a forum full of people into flashlights/torches.