LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. berry580

berry580 Member

+1 on the Jetbeam M1X.

I've been a Jetbeam fan for a while, their built quality is just amazing. You won't be disappointed.

I can't believe there's even hardcore flashaholics here.

Yeah, the Catapult does have some potential issues. Selfbuilt (a reviewer) even damaged his sample when he though the beam profile of the Catapult was unfocused. He turned the head and now it's stuffed, apparently the aluminium reflector shorted the circuit.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=3199003&postcount=37

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Believe it or not, I actually received the goods today! very surprised indeed!
    17470 USB/AC Recharged, it comes with a few different plugs, can charge my N95/ipod etc, light is fairly bright as well, hrmm might give it away for KK.

Cool, might get one in the new year, there is a review on CP.

3. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

HA! This is why I paid the premium for an awesome, blinding torch :thumbup:
    It arrived some time before the OCAU outage, and I've since been on holidays. Quite speedy shipping, considering it came from Hong Kong too.

4. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I rather pay less and wait longer, it probably comes out of the same factory yet you pay more :tongue:

5. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

Hi all

I'm after an led flashlight of some sort and I've done my research and read quite a few reviews but I'm still undecided on which brand and type to get. I bought my dad a LED Lenser tactical focus for christmas and its wrapped up currently so I wont be able to see what its like at night till after he opens it. I've been with the SES for two years so far and I've gotten by using whatevers on the trucks which is either those large maglites or dolphin torches but I'd like one of my own so that I can use it wherever and I also occasionally go hunting. I'd like something of the X21 caliber but thats out of my pricerange and not practical when going on landsearches and exercises in the middle of the night due to its size and weight. I'm sure there's better brands out there so I'm open to all sorts of advice and opinions.

6. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I've previously recommended this light, and you can't really go wrong with it - JETBeam M1X. It's a 2 mode search light, with the first mode it's on at max, and the second, user programmable.

If your research hasn't already lead you there, check out the CandlePowerForums where you'll find plenty of information about said light and many others there recommending it.

7. porkchop83

porkchop83 Member

is there any good ones that still uses AA battery off the shelfs??

8. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Are you looking at a 1*AA or 2*AA light?

The cheap options (less than US$25), can get you the following:
    • WF-606A - got one of these, pretty good
    • Nkoray K-106 - I don't have one of these, but I've only heard good things about them
    Otherwise, these are more expensive lights:
    • Quark line - they offer either a 1*AA or 2*AA type light
    • Solarforce L2r Revolution - I use one of these lights as an emergency light in one of the cars. It has the ability to use drop-in modules so you can change the LED inside it as the technology gets better. Further more, this line allows further flexibility in that you can purchase different battery tube options to suit your needs

BTW, I ended up purchasing this from DX. It's similar to the one that MagyaR purchased, but cheaper. This does have the ability to recharge the 18650 cell via USB. You are able to also change the 18650 cell within this light/recharger. However, of all the 18650 cells that I have, only sku.5790 and sku.20392 seem to want to fit into this thing. I will continue to use the non-protected cell that came with it, but would prefer to use sku.5790 as the spare/main option to power the thing.

9. jakiman

jakiman Member

Don't know abotu off the shelfs if you mean that literally. (Like at Big W etc)
    But there are plenty of good bargains at sites such as dx or kd. Free shipping.
    You can check some of my reviews from the links in my sig.

10. AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

I went ahead and got this torch. i was very pleased with its dry weather capabilities; awesome throw and good flood. However, its underwater capabilities are not so flash. My old man took it on himself to show one of his mates it working underwater, only it didnt actually work underwater. It flat out stopped working for a day or so after and now it will flicker meekly. Inside was fairly wet after its submersion.

Other than that it was a good light.

I have complained to DX about so we shall see what happens.

11. berry580

berry580 Member

mate, DX lights = budget lights

Even for respected brands amongst flashaholics, they still won't recommend you to submerging it in the water.

Consider you've learnt your lesson and get something that suits you in terms of size/battery/whatever from here and as a flashaholic myself, I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed, and if it turns out it disappointed you, go to this forum to make your complaint and I guarantee you'll be satisfied to the fullest extent; repair, replace, REFUND, you name it.

cheers

12. arrow224

arrow224 Member

Basic LED torch

So I am interested in getting a basic LED (Cree, Xenon or otherwise) torch.

Will be used for general around the house duties, also used when I go camping (sometimes in the middle of nowhere).

I am unwilling to purchase from an internet-based store, so are there any recommendations of ones I can buy from a bricks and mortar store?

I have seen two from Jaycar in the latest Silicon Chip magazine 3W LED and a 1W Cree. How do they compare with the likes of the budget ones from DX?

13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Depends on what you use it for. I wouldn't trust no-name brands with water-proofing.

The last Jaycar I went into had most of their torches on display.
    Anaconda camping store has quite a range too.

Oh, also avoid AAA torches, they don't seem to last very long.

If you're serious about camping, I'd buy a dereelight, fenix etc brand torch.

*EDIT* Why the reluctance to buy online? Whatever you pay in-store will be more expensive than from overseas. I bought this torch http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4.htm for around $80 delivered with an extension tube to accomodate an extra battery for longer power. Paid through PayPal, and arrived in under two weeks, just before christmas, too. So probably much quicker from Hong Kong in off-peak time.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  14. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Sorry to hear that about your new light. TBH, I don't really trust the waterproofness of the lights that are available in DX until I have disassembled the light, clean, lube and finally, put them back together myself, before I try them out in 10cm deep water and watch for bubbles. If they pass the test, then I can safely say that they can be dunked in water and even if they end up failing after I've done all that, I can only blame myself.

Having said that though, the two lights I've bought from DX and done the test have not survived it. They're probably splash proof, but I wouldn't want to be out in pouring rain having to rely on them to guide me through the dark.

To arrow224 -

I'm wondering the same as well - why not purchase the torch online?

If you're concerned about warranty and you'd like to possibly return the torch back to a physical store, maybe TorchWorld or Led Torches Australia might allow you to do something like that considering they're in Victoria as well. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Regarding the quality of what's available in Jaycar, Super Cheap Auto or the like, I'd probably imagine it similar to what's on offer over in DX or KD. It's just that these places tend to inflate their prices because they can, knowing that the general public are not aware of the various other torch brands out there which, in some cases, can be bought at similar price points especially if you shop in places like DX and KD.

If you really need an LED torch that can be bought at a B & M store, you may as well stick with an LED based Maglite. Or you might want to check out Energizer's "Hard Case" range of LED torches. Neither of these torches are cutting edge, but they're still relatively sturdy, hard wearing, can even be bought at the local supermarket and 'bright enough' for every day use. Otherwise, this doesn't look too bad. I don't know if it's still on sale though.

15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I can't comment on the first two, but I have seen the X21 a few places.

I've seen it on eBay for ~$550 from memory. Actually, there's a few for $450 atm.
    I've seen them in stores for way over $700, but look around at camping stores, and try online places like cuttingedgeknives.com.au, legear.com.au, King of Knives, etc. Basically anone that stocks in good quality hunting knives, will also have decent torches.

I've never seen the Wicked Lasers one outside it's own website. Fenix, I don't come across much here in Australia, either.

Maybe just scroll back through this thread and find where people have bought their torches from, and look at thier websites.

Now, I have a question myself. What is the best light I can get for my keyring? Just as an emergency light that I can carry around with everywhere.
    *EDIT* Note to self: ITP A3 EOS // Maratac AAA // Fenix LD01 (most likely)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  16. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I know you're not looking at a recommendation, but from a price/performance standpoint I'd go for the Fenix TK40 on that list. The two are over-priced for what they are.

All three lights are pretty much the same, especially the ITP and Maratac offerings, but the Fenix does give you 'Fenix' quality - at a price point that's more than the other two.

Have you also considered 4Sevens Quark Mini AA? It's just that little bit fatter and longer than the LD01 (76.2mmx17.8mm vs 75mmx14mm) and you do have the advantage of a light that is brighter and has longer run-times.

Personally, I've got a 4Sevens Preon Ti I with the clip, as my EDC. It's either clipped inside my suit jacket or when it's too hot to wear a jacket, the clip holds well on my side pocket. Also, because I carry a, umm, *ahem* satchel *ahem*, with me each morning to work, I have spare AAAs on my person, as well.

17. Anakist

Anakist Member

I have a LED Lenser "Tactical" or something with a 14500 battery. What are some good spare cells, and a good charger to buy that will do both these and the 18650 as well (ideally. I would like a new torch with mega lumens, and it looks like the 18650 is the go for that).

James

18. Rod911

Rod911 Member

For those on a budget
    - 18650 cells: out of the cells I bought from DX, I do like these the most. This one comes in second.
    - charger: this is the only charger I've got. I did also tried to order this from KD, but they only sent me a box. :( . Trying to rectify it with them now, but it's been around one month or two and no response from them.

No budget
    - 18650 cells: AW branded cells. I am yet to be turned away from buying the cheapies from DX/KD, so I cannot personally vouch for the quality of his cells, but they are ALWAYS highly recommended.
    - charger: if you don't want to keep a bucket of sand in close range and at all times when charging your cells, the Pila is the one to get...apparently. Note that, you can forgo this charger and even go into the realm of purchasing a hobby charger which you can also use to recharge pretty much any type of rechargeable cell out there.

19. Anakist

Anakist Member

They are 18650 cells, I want spare 14500.

Any more info on hobby chargers? I might have to go see the local hobby shop methinks.

James

20. MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

Can anyone suggest a Budget Cree that takes 1 or 2 CR2 Cells?