LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Well my C3 ultrafire underwent some further testing (full cycle of the washing machine) and it's still functioning fine .
    It got a bit scratched up around the rim of the lens but that was it . It's obviously idiot proof :)

2. Scorpion1080

Scorpion1080 Member

Ewww. Ultrafire, etc

If you want to get a torch at least get something which has a little bit of build quality.

Surefire, LumaPower, Fenix, Novatac, etc

3. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

Those lights are a ripoff, SureFire charge $250 for a light which you can pick up for $30 in China. The built quality is pretty much the same (Its a anodized metal tube with a switch on one end and a LED on the other, its not some complex design) and both lights perform the same. They both use brand name LED's and the regulators are pretty much the same.

Aside from the brand name there is no reason to fork out mega bucks when you can get the same thing for a 10th of the price.

The build quality on my WF-600 and C3 is great, nice threads, o-rings, anodizing is even, nice white temperature, good switches and a glass lens. It cant get much better than that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  4. Scorpion1080

Scorpion1080 Member

Snap-on, stahlwille, Mac = rip-offs? all they do the majority of the time is tighten or loosen things.. $2 supacheap ones can do that and are just as good quality.

shun, global, wusthof = rip-offs? All they do is cut.. all knives have a handle and a blade so the knife blocks you buy from coles are just as good.

Bmw, audi = rip-offs? daewoo have engines, roofs, wheels so why bother getting anything else?

callaway, titleist, ping = rip-offs? They are just metal sticks with heads on right.. so those sets from a-mart are fine.

Do not get me wrong. The ultrafires work and work reasonable well. But If I drop a surefire off a 2nd story balcony onto cement below, it will still work except for a few rare cases and if it stops working in 20years time, they replace it. Ultrafire are, "you bought it.. your problem now"

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  5. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

All of those are very diffrent from a flashlight in construction and materials, knife blades are made out of special alloys and you cant use any scrap you have laying around. Same for tools and lets not go into cars and gold clubs.

A flashlight is just a aluminum tube, you cant really get it wrong when its such a simple device. While I haven't dropped my lights off a 2 story building I see no reason why it wouldn't hold up. Might have a few scratches.

The only thing the SureFires have is hard anodizing and borosilicate lens's

6. [aE]-brent

[aE]-brent Member

I recently received an Ultrafire WF-606A. It's great, really bright, build quality is good.

And thanks for the reviews jakiman, very helpful :)

7. campbell

campbell Member

Great reviews jakiman, I bought a KD AAA SSC buckle light based partly on your review at cpf's.

8. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Mmmm lights, I'm going to buy the Romisen RC-F4 GITD Cree Flashlight Gray (3V~8V) & the Mini 3W Cree 1xCR123A Flashlight, do they come with CR123A's? How much are they? Can they be recharged? Why is dealextreme so much cheaper then torchworld?

9. gtsman_05

gtsman_05 Member

this torch certainly makes my 4D Maglite obsolete!!

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=649

24W HID Rechargeable Torch

Price $499 :D
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_9809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  10. jakiman

jakiman Member

No. they do not come with batteries or charger. Buy them seperately.

$5 for 2 x Trustfire Protected CR123A.
    Also, you can get a charger for around $9.
    $9 Trustfire one which charges all battery types.

BTW

I have updated my review and am waiting for even more lights to arrive. :D
    I've also added a nice little chart to see all the lights' results in one go.

Seems my reviews are influencing a lot of people. Over 18000 hits since October! Wow.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=176577

I'm glad RC-F4 is getting great reviews at DX also. :thumbup:
    Mini 3W Cree is a good single cell direct-driven light with a turbo head.
    Both lights are great value for what they do and how they are made.
    but with anything, everyone has their own "needs" and "wants".
    So you may not agree on my "star" rating that I've put up.
    But the comments should stay true to what you will get as it's really "what it is" with no bias.

I'm trying to be as honest as possible. No need for "favourites" in a review imo.
    I am constantly changing comments on each light as time passes due to this.
    Please feel free to let me know what else you would like to see in my review.

Also...

There is a real cheap way to get huge amount of lumens. Super bang for buck!
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1258
    This light outputs 300+ lumens. That is helluva lot of light output for $12.
    not that it's an incan lamp so it is prone to dying sooner than a LED.
    Still that's is just like any other flashlight we use to use in the old days. =P

Lastly...

There is a huge 4 Cree Romisen light at DX now for $50.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10451
    It is rated for 650 lumens and I'm sure it'll be damn close to it.
    It uses 4 x Q4 bin LEDs and should light up the living room quite nicely. =P

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  11. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

12. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I've received both the Romisen RC-F4 GITD Cree Flashlight Gray (3V~8V) & the Mini 3W Cree

Very vey nice! I see where the addiction comes from!! I also purchased the TrustFire All-in-One Charger which seems a bit flimsy but I suppose what can I expect for $10 hopefully it charges the Trustfire Protected CR123A's I bought properly (can you charge 4 CD123A's at a time? 2x2. I read that you can use 17670 batts in the RC-F4, are these batts just 2 CR123As put together in a case?

13. nerd1

nerd1 Member

bought the inlaw a UltraFire C3 Cree 1xAA and he's very impressed and happy with it. carries it with him all the time and uses every time he's out at night.

been looking at getting him something brighter to impress him further and came across this

The Six-Mile Flashlight

I'm afraid someone's goonna loose an eye or soemthing :S

14. jakiman

jakiman Member

No, you can't charge 2 RCR123A batteries lined up in series in any charger.
    It will damage the charger or it'll just not charge at all due to high voltage.
    (2 x 3.7v RCR123A batteries in series will result in a voltage of over 7.4v!!)

17670 is a unique 3.7v lithium battery which happens to be roughly the same size as two 16340 in series.

Hmm. Decent amount of brightness for that price. But it's a bit bulky.
    There are much much brighter ones if you look around. (smaller also)

Get these to really impress ANYONE you know. :D
    http://polarion-usa.com/media/Model_PH40.html
    (it's about 4 times brighter than the one you mentioned)
    Pity that they are over 2 grand. :upset:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  15. nerd1

nerd1 Member

that'd be awsome if its more affordable... unfortunatley its not very practical.

currently i'm looking at a DIY solution

16-Mode 3W 3.7V 7135 Circuit Board for Cree and SSC Emitters (3.7V 1000mA Output)
    Cree XR-E Q5 Emitter on Premium Star (228LM at 1A)
    TrustFire Protected TR 18650 2500mAh 3.7V Batteries (2-Pack)

Not sure what I'm doing but I think they'd fit nicely. Just have to see if I can find a old flashlight around first.

16. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Fair enough, seems like a dodgy charger, I thought it might do special things haha, have you purchased a 12v cig adaptor for it? there is so many on dealextreme, any ideas on which one to get?

17. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

18. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

umm mine can do three in series.. but i'd rather do them single to balance them.

19. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Hrmm DX is starting to piss me off, I've ordered and paid for items on their site and it's been pending for a week now, if the supplier is out of stock then why let me purchase something which doesn't exist.

20. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

Ouch, You picked a bad time to order right on the holidays. Just cancel the order if you can't wait and go elsewhere. With my current order 3 Items of my 9 items are stuck on "pending" (the rest has been shipped). I want the item at that price so I'll just wait :). Received one of the torches, the little one and WOW very impressed. I can't wait for the big one!! woohoooo.

BTW - do not expect any action until the 20th.
    Due to the recently developed, unforeseeable severe weather conditions in China, a majority of DX staffs will not be able to return to work on schedule. To accomodate the need of staffs returning to their home towns for the lunar new year, the holiday has been extended to Feb 15th (previously Feb 10th), and shipping and customer service capacity may be limited until Feb 20, 2008.