LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

My 4Sevens Quark 123x2 just arrived.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=1599

First impressions:

- Quite floody light.
    - UI fairly easy to manipulate.
    - feels slightly cheap, but i'll make further judgement on that later.

Probably a bit expensive for what it is, but, I will again make further judgement once I have dropped it a few times and taken it for a swim

Overall it is nice and compact and puts out decent usable light.

2. ctn

ctn Member

How are the LED flashlights that Jaycar sells, namely the X-Glow Cree series.

3. berry580

berry580 Member

you're right, I've long monitored 4sevens' products ever since it introduced lights.

While it feels cheap, the price is actually considered on the low side for flashaholics, BUT it also includes many features that flashaholics considers desireable.

e.g. a low-low mode, powerful max mode, multi-levels (thats well spaced), lego-able (you can but different bodies and use a range of batteries configuration) etc etc.

All 4sevens lights are also backed by a 10 years warranty, so i don't think there's much to worry.

cheers

4. BigandY

BigandY Member

Well, after much UMMing and AAHing (damn you DX and your selection), I've ordered a Tank007 E07 and a Romisen MXDL RC-G2 . Hopefully not too bad for sub-$15 AA torches!

5. AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

An update on my 4sevens quark.

The light has a really apparent horrible green tint to it.

shine it on skin in the dark and you look sick!

From what I have read on CPF it looks like a common issue, something to do with the Bin. These ones have the R5 emitter in them. But don't ask me what all that means :/

I have emailed 4sevens and complained about it but I dont think they will do anything.

Apart from that its great.

6. BigandY

BigandY Member

these came in today, happy with both, but the romisen seems to flicker a bit. i've tried: two fresh batteries (both work fine in the tank), lubing all threads, removed the LCD pill, cleaned the +ve terminal, lubed the thread and screwed it all back together tightly, still flickers. any suggestions before I email DX?

7. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Bit of help from you knowledgable gentlemens if possible.

I'm in the type of job where I wear an equipment belt, and have a shitty little $10 torch that I bought at some computer market a few years ago.. ...the torch is ok but cheap and nasty and I want something better.

What I want is a torch that fits into a asp baton scabbard confortably, not too small, tough and has to have a low and high mode. Need the low mode for searching cars and the high mode for searches. Torch would have to be tough as I usually put my torch on a car bonnet and of course it rolls off and hits the bitumen.

Ive looked through dealextreme and cant make my mind up. I cant access cpf here at work.

ideas and recommendations?

8. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Looks like you've done everything but the paperclip test. Try removing the tailcap and turning the thing on with a paperclip by placing one end on the negative side of the battery and the other on the body. If the light continue to flicker, there is something wrong with the pill. If it does not flicker, then the problem is with the switch which you'll need to pull apart and put together again to see if that helps.

9. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Does the torch rattle when you shake it?

10. BigandY

BigandY Member

nope, nice and solid sounding

and this one's got a forward clickie ;)

it was like 11 bux and looks awesome and feels awesome in your hand, i just wish it didn't flicker :(

11. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

So getting back to my post (like so many others have asked).

I can pay decent dollars for a wolfeyes torch like so many of my workmates, but want something that is dual mode (low/high) with damn good output on high and so-so on low. I dont want to pay good money for a torch as they get banged around wrestling with idiots so it would be a waste to buy an expensive one.

Something that fits into an asp baton scabbard, is tough and durable and would be either rechargable or take rechargable batteries. I dont care about the real cosmetic look, I am after a decent/cheap torch, dealextreme appear to fit the bill. I have looked at dozens on their site, some appear quite good, a lot dont have reviews, so someone who has actually bought one and can give an opinion - let me know!!! :) :) :thumbup:

12. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

In my post above I gave my input, it seems I broke the QUOTE function :p

My brother got himself a Romisen, I think, brand from Deal Extreme. It's still going strong after being banged around wrestling the same idiots as you. He left it on in the car one day for up to an hour, and it went blisteringly hot, though.

It has similar light output to my expensive Dereelight, since it uses the same LED module.

Go back to DealExtreme, and sort the torches by reviews and/or score. That's how we picked the one he ended up purchasing.

13. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Dony suppose he has still got it and can provide the model? If not - back to dealextreme I go lol.

14. Rod911

Rod911 Member

If you are looking for a P60 host similar to NanoDuke's Dereelight, I'd have a look at the following:

• Aurora SH290, X-06-1/2/3
    • DealExtreme {DX} HF-19, SKU: 1284, 4226, 14226, 14329, 14597, 14902, 15159 (DIY), 15565, 15561, 24354
    • Kaidomain KD Tough, T3 from TLS
    • MTE M6-2
    • Romisen RC-E4, RC-M4, RX-A
    • Smartfire A-1, T1, see Ultrafire models
    • Solarforce L2 (several Special Edition L2), L2i, L2m, L2r, SF6, SF9, SF12
    • Spiderfire Q5, R2, X-O3
    • Superfire C1, see Ultrafire models
    • Tank007 Pt10
    • Trustfire T1-Q5, TR-B1/2/3, TR-C1 & 2, TR-C6, TR-Q5, TR-Q8
    • Ultrafire 6P, 9P, 12P, C1, Alpha-C1, L2, SG.DX-B, WF-501A/B/C/D, WF-502B/C/D, ...WF-503B/C + extension option, 504B
    • UniqueFire L2, R5

You should be able to find the above brands in DX or KD. I know it's a very long list, but it is one of the more comprehensive ones available online.

Source.

I did say I won't be buying any more lights thinking I'm well covered, but I ended up purchasing a UltraFire C2 Cree MC-E. This should be delivered within the next week.

I'll be modding this one where the lens will be sanded down so the output will be diffused creating a good, very short ranged light. I've got other lights that can be used to look at distant targets.

15. dohzer

dohzer Member

Anyone got an LED diving (scuba/snorkeling) torch that they want to tell me about?

16. tobes

tobes Member

Hey folks,

I'm not after a flashlight so much but a decent head torch and more importantly a good lantern for camping.

For the camping lantern I'm looking for a rechargeable one that has at least a couple of different brightness levels and that can last 8-10 hours before needing a recharge. Preferably it would come with both car and mains charging options.

Any ideas?

17. ctn

ctn Member

18. gmturner

gmturner Member

Thankyou for your suggestion, i recieved mine yesterday and im am very happy with it. Extremely powerfull for its size. Its size is what suprised me, its very small, the whole thing fits in my hand, its very small. Yet its even brighter then the $30 massive 3D battery single LED maglite rip off a bought from kmart. Its beam reaches across my front yard ~30m easily and is bright as hell. I bought some 14500 cells to go with it, works great. Is also nearlly waterproof, has seals at all joints but they leaked because it wasnt screwed together tight at the LED end and it is hard to screw the LED pill in tight and it may move so im probably going to use some silicone or lock tight to hold it up tight.

19. BigandY

BigandY Member

anyone know how long DX take to respond to a faulty item customer service ticket? The site says 24-48 hours, but I raise one about a week ago and no response yet, status is still "Request has been received - waiting for processing."

20. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

I had a $15 item arrive DOA. Took them 3 weeks to respond. They offered me a $5 credit. Told them I have spent over 1K with them not to mention all the referrals and I wanted a full credit. That was a month ago. Just thinking about it now, i'm gonna send them an abusive email.