LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. BigandY

BigandY Member

if it gets to that point i'll just turf the torch and order a better quality one

shame, i like the shape of the romisen and the bright orange clicky :(

2. z2177199

z2177199 Member

More than 12 months ago, i bought a 20 buck recharge-able LED torch and it popped with smoke when charging. I took pictures of burned circuit board from the torch, logged a ticket, sent them the pictures and they refunded the full amount back to my paypal. Look like DX turns to crap customer support now.

3. BigandY

BigandY Member

I got a response:

As much as I wanted to reply with "Dear Rachel, are you a fucking moron? The torch is fucked, reviews are not going to help me unfuck it.", I went back and reiterated that it was FAULTY (using capitals and repeating the word about 4 times). Hopefully they actually read my message this time.

4. BigandY

BigandY Member

Well, I got a second response:

Seems using repetition and CAPITALS worked :lol:

Pretty happy with this.

5. BigandY

BigandY Member

And my replacement arrived today. All good, no flickering, great little torch!

Very happy with DX at this point. Took them a week to get back to me, but all in all, it was only a couple of weeks from notifying them of the issue, to me receiving a replacement, which is pretty good if you ask me.

-------

edit: Another recommendation please. At least now I'm getting better at deciding what I want :lol:

I want something with a clip so I can put it in my breast pocket like a pen - e.g. Akoray K-103. I want single AA.

Now, I've looked at the Akoray K-106, the similar but more expensive Akoray (model not specified), and the Trustfire F20, which looks identical to the K-106, but reviews say this is not the case.

Are there any other AA's with that clip under twenty bucks? The Akorays, while receiving good reviews here, have pretty horrible reviews on DX, especially of recent times. The Trustfire has good reviews though.

Suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  6. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Looking for some advice. I want to get (from Deal Extreme) a led light that will take 2xAA's or 1xCR123A. Is the Romisen Cree RC-N3 the best deal? The ability to have a med. mode is also good as the high mode is very often too bright, but nice to have nevertheless. Looking to spend no more then $20.
    Thanks.

7. retz.x

retz.x Member

They are nice lights, ugly with the AA barrel though. I don't like the 3 modes that this light has - the medium beam is too bright and the strobe is useless unless you use it as your bike light. There is no mode memory either, its just high, medium, strobe. If you leave it off for more than 30 seconds it defaults to high. But considering the price, it's a great light. Bright, forward clicky and small. :thumbup:

8. BigandY

BigandY Member

Anyone please?

9. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

I see, is there anything else similar? I searched through and maybe missed something?

10. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Cree Announces Revolutionary New LED Platform Delivering 160 Lumens per Watt

XLamp® XM LEDs Are Most Efficient Lighting-Class LEDs in the Industry

DURHAM, N.C., April 12, 2010 — Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE), a market leader in LED lighting, announces a breakthrough new lighting-class LED platform, the XLamp® XM LED. This new single chip LED delivers record-breaking efficacy of 160 lumens per watt at 350 mA. The LED also delivers 750 lumens at 2 A, which is equivalent to the light output of a 60 W incandescent light bulb at less than 7 watts.

“This new platform continues Cree’s well-established record of turning R&D innovations into products,” said Chuck Swoboda, Cree chairman and CEO. “We continue to set the pace for LED performance, establishing new benchmarks that make you wonder why anyone would consider last-century’s energy-wasting technology.”

A cool white XM LED driven at 350 mA can produce 160 lumens at 160 lumens per watt. The new platform has a larger footprint than Cree’s XP family and also offers the unique combination of very high efficacy at very high drive currents. At 2 A, an XM LED produces 750 lumens at 110 lumens per watt. The thermal resistance of the XM platform is 2 degrees C per watt— an industry-leading technology breakthrough and a 350 percent improvement over Cree’s flagship XLamp XP-E LED.

Samples of the XLamp XM LEDs are available for order with standard lead times and commercial availability is targeted for Fall 2010.

Wonder how long it'll take to get one in a torch.

11. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I've jsut picked up a triple XP-E to replace the triple XP-G in my bike light.

The performance of LEDs is becoming just phenomenal! Look forward to seeing what can be done with these new ones.

12. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I wouldn't mind some led lights but it's just another thing to take off the bike when unattended, I have one of those halogen 5 watt lights with the night stick, I wonder if you can get some kind of led replacement for it.

13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I have a few questions regarding multiple batteries.

My torch (Dereleelight) came with an extension tube to accommodate an extra 18650 battery. Now this doubles the voltage to 7.4V, but I don't see any visible difference in the brightness of the lamp.
    Now, going by THIS, I get the same capacity ~2500mAh for an average battery.
    So what's the advantage of connecting them in series? Would this work better on a different lamp module, perhaps one that has a much more noticeable different in light intensity?

Since I don't see any visible difference in the light intensity, I'm looking into making a parallel pack, which should give me a constant 3.7V, but doubling the capacity. This will give me double the run time of the batteries?
    It appears not, according to this link http://www.luminousdiy.com/FAQ.htm#hookup "In our two examples one may falsely concluded that the 10000 mAh pack is superior, when in fact both packs have the exact same Watt / Hour power rating. Each setup will run for the same amount of time." I thought that if a module draws X amount of current, then a larger capacity would run longer?

Ugh, my mind is racing now :p Looking at run time of the batteries, would running two in parallel give me the same runtime as having a single battery in place and replacing it when it begins to die?

Anyone have any experiencing with charging packs of batteries in one go?

I have millions more questions but this will be my last for now.
    Should I just invest in a 6V SLA battery from JayCar and charger and be done with my madness?

*EDIT* Maybe the madness will continue for a little while longer XD
    http://www.luminousdiy.com/Light Kits and Parts.htm#holders

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  14. jjo

jjo Member

Can someone give me a rundown of the torch brands on deal extreme?

i.e. whats the best brand(s).

im looking for a) the brightest/highest quality torch availible.
    b) The brightest AA torch.

looking to order in the next 3 days.

15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

16. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Budget? Single AA? Do you prefer it to be single mode or multi-mode light?

I go to eBay when it comes to getting eneloops. They're just too expensive to get them in a B&M store or other Australian based online stores. If you want an eBay seller, I purchase mine from a Korean dude that goes by the name of "whatuneed4baby". I've bought 8*AA and 8*AAA sets from him so far, and I just purchased another 8*AA set from him which is currently on its way to me now.

As for your headlamp query, check out ZebraLight's and Fenix's offerings. I went slightly crazy and bought a whole heap of new things (chargers, batteries and new lights) last weekend. One of the things I bought was a ZebraLight H501w. I'm planning to power that with an eneloop instead of a 14500. My set of 14500 batteries will be used for the new Quark MiNi AA (warm) when it starts being shipped out.

One other thing. Your battery post is way too much for my knowledge. You may have better luck posting that question to the CPF members in the Battery Section.

17. platinum

platinum Member

Had a read through, anyone got suggestions for a tough camping torch, big, bright as possible, and doesn't go flat after 1 hour?

Currently use a 3D maglite, which is great for toughness/battery life, but shitty for light power. The LED conversions don't seem that great of value either.

18. Rod911

Rod911 Member

The Fenix TK40 is great for its use of common AA power source. There was also some guy who did one hell of a torture test to it, and it came through pretty well...with the exception of some cosmetic complications.

Otherwise, if you're more inclined to go down the more 'exotic' power sources like CR123A's, 18650's, etc., then you start to open up a can of worms.

19. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Thanks. I had a look on CPF last night and quite a lot of people recommend the C9000 :thumbup:

Thanks for the battery section link, I learnt quite a lot last night. The Fenix headlamp looks tops, but apparantly it's been discontinued until they release the newer versions. Hopefully it'll be available by Spring for when I plan to go out herping with it. Combined with Borked's suggestion for local charger + batteries, I think we're onto a winner.
    I'm sick of dealing with 18650 batteries, and a smart AA/AAA charger is just what I need, especially now that I've learnt you can get Li-ion rechargeable in those sizes.
    But I don't know, I like the idea of getting a proper RC hobby charger for doing 18650. so all hope may not have been given up.

20. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I think I mentioned this previously, but the C9000 is one kick-arse charger. I ended up getting two of them, because I was sick and tired of waiting as the first charger does a break-in cycle. The only downside is that it's limited* to AA/AAA cells. When it ends up rejecting a particular cell, and I'm desperate to still use the cell, I use this SoShine charger to get it charging along. It seems pretty 'smart' as far as I can tell and it's not too fussed on the cell's impediance level.

I was looking at getting ZL's H60w because I really like the 18650 format, but I was concerned with the size and weight of it. That's pretty much the main reason I went with the AA format instead.

* Yes, you can also make C/D sized battery holders and jig it to the charger as well if you wanted to.