LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

Awesome thanks for that, 100-150 sounds about perfect really, don't need much more than that i think, can i ask where you ordered it?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I shoulda clarified my wants lol, to hear 4 are on the way and will be reviewed soon sounds promising.

Want:
    Dual mode - medium and high
    Tail button
    Rechargable if possible, through inbuilt battery or batteries
    Medium to be good for looking through cars
    High to be good for searching around paddocks
    Have a scabbard that fits onto an equipment belt
    Not run through battery time quickly

Here's one thing - needs to be rugged.

3. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I bought mine from batteryjunction. However, I suggest you check out The Bright Side forums. They are Malaysian based, and from what I've seen, have successfully done at least one group buy for a Catapult v2 and they're also willing to ship to Aussies. Did I also mention that it can be had cheaper from them by around US$50? :thumbup:

4. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

My police officer brother bought a $30 odd one from DX, not sure of the brand or model, but it was only a single mode torch. He's happy with it, but it can run a bit hot. I haven't chatted in a while so I'm not sure if he still has it, or if it still works.
    I don't really see the need for multiple modes. If you're searching cars, I'm assuming the occupants are out of it, so you don't need to worry about blinding them.
    I don't think you can get dual mode torches. ALl the ones I've seen have three modes, and they're a bit fiddly because you need to cycle through the modes you want by clicking.
    Maybe you should get a torch with a twist top that can focus the beam. Narrow beam for long distance spotting, then a wide beam for close up work.

Oh and since I'm assuming you're in some kind of security or law enforcement, maybe you chould have a look at this site:
    http://www.legear.com.au/Flashlights-Torches-Lighting-Australia-Maglite-Fenix-s/29.htm
    Aussie site, but I believe they can offer discounts for police/military/government.

I'd go for this one if I were in your shoes
    http://www.legear.com.au/Fenix-E20-Q2-Black-Finish-Flashlight-Australia-NZ-p/fenix-e20.htm
    Fenix is a reliable brand you can trust, and it's built to last. Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard. Forward clicky back for momentary operation. Takes AA batteries. Get some high capacity Li-ion batteries, or pick up some cheapos at the servo when you're caught out.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  5. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Just a heads-up. The Fenix E20 can only take nimhs, alkalines or lithiums. Using two li-ion (ie. 14500s) batteries will kill this light.

Akh-Horus - you might also want to have a look at EagleTac's offerrings. Some of their lights have a similiar UI to a lot of the Fenix lights, offerring two modes via a head twist. I have the old version of their T20C2-NW, and it has 3 modes with the low mode somewhat hidden (requires a quick twist from med-high or high-med). The low mode is very useful for close up tasks and the medium is pretty much spot on for general use.

6. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Had a look at these torches, they are great ones, but due to the fact that I seem to go through them a bit, the torches, banging around and dropped, I would prefer to grab one from dealextreme for alternatives.

I also have seen this site http://wolfeyes.com.au/torches-c-21.html?page=2&sort=2a who seem to have high quality torches, but again, they seem more expensive than what I can justify.

Other thing is most of the torches in those sites appear to have clips which I dont want.

7. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Out of DX, I've got the C2 (MC-E) 2-mode light which might interest you. The two modes come from a resistored tail cap, not the driver, so the light comes on high at all times, but if you want to turn the light off, you'd need to press the tail cap twice (you'll go to low mode then off). One positive that comes from this UI is that you can momentary signal in either modes to your heart's content, because the only way to change modes is to complete depress the tail cap.

I've sanded down the lens so that it diffuses the light completely, with no hot-spot. I do have some spare lens on hand as well if I find the situation requires a thrower, but I already have a few of those type lights.

8. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

How bright is it with the different modes and how long do the batteries last?

9. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Check the images to see if it's held on by a screw that you can remove yourself. My Dereelight's clip can come off easily.

10. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Swapped the frosted lens with a regular one and did some quick brightness/throw tests outside. I tested it against an EagleTac T10L.

• From around 20 metres, the C2 is brighter BUT it doesn't throw as far as the T10L.
    • The low on the C2 is, if I have to guess, half as bright as the T10L's "low" and possibly even lower than that. It's probably comparable to a Quark MiNi's medium (which is around 25 lumens OTF).
    • I did some quick and dirty run-times on high when I first got the light. IIRC, it stayed high for around 50 minutes using a TrustFire 2400mah (red/black) 18650 battery.
    • On low, it was at LEAST 8 hours. After 8 hours, I got tired of waiting any further. I did test the battery and the charge left over was around 3.80v.

11. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Well all my bits and pieces have arrived, so I'm in the process of putting it all together.
    I found a nice wooden cigar box from an arts/craft store that can fit the charger and AC pack inside. I'm mounting the battery cradle on the top.
    I've been taking photos along to way to document what I've done.
    All that I'm missing is an 8S charging/balance lead. I have no idea where to get one :upset:

12. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Yay! My charging station is complete :) - well, the bulk of it is. I've got it wired up now, so I can charge 8 individual 18650 size Li-ion batteries :leet: with load balancing :Pirate:
    The rest is just cosmetic to fix up - drilling wire access holes, mounting the temperature sensor, and attaching a small fan for air circulation.

My charger has a USB cable, and used with LogView software, I can monitor individual cells w/ time, voltage, current, current capacity, power, energy (Wh), and temperature monitoring.

So now I have plenty of batteries, a white torch, a UV torch... now all I need to find is a decent (price no option, really) headlamp that takes 18650 batteries. Either a single (double at max) battery mounted on the head, or one that takes multiple batteries in a belt pack.

p.s. let me know if anyone is interested in some photos of the charging station I built. I've taken pics at every step along the way :p

13. Elfanger

Elfanger (Banned or Deleted)

I am looking to get a flashlight for when I go adventuring at night with my camera.

Looking for something that has a few different brightness settings and is easy to fit into a jacket pocket.

Needs to use AA batteries as I already got heaps of eneloops.

Max I am willing to spend is $80, although I would be happier just spending $50.

Looking for some suggestions.

Thanks.

I had a look on the dealextreme website and am considering getting a Fenix flashlight.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11343

Is this a good one for my purposes?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  14. alyxander

alyxander Member

I just bought a UltraFire C3 from DX, I must say I am very impressed but probably because this was my first ever LED torch. Compared to my maglite 2xAA, it rips it to shreds :thumbup: :D

15. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I'm not too sure if tint is an issue for you when it comes to taking pictures. There are a few 4Sevens branded lights, some in limited quantities, that might suit you if you are keen on something like the Fenix you mentioned.

• In the 6500k colour range, you've got either the "regular" or "tactical" versions. The only difference is the UI.
    • In the 4500k colour range, here is their neutral run of lights.
    • In the 3000k colour range, they've got a bunch of warm LED lights that you might be interested in.

16. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

17. Shepete

Shepete Member

Have a look at one of these. http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96&products_id=614
    Fenix Ld20. Awsome torch, good company to deal with & local.

18. dish-oh

dish-oh Member

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me out, but I have a flare holder in the foot well of my car and I want to put a torch in it.

How much would I have to spend to get equal or better brightness out of a 10-15cm long x 3ish cm diameter torch compared to my 2xD cell LED maglite?

Kind of hard to buy off the net without seeing what they are like...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  19. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Anyone got some opinions on any of the torches sold by EagleTac and Legear?

Ive had some torches in this thread recommended but first hand experience is gold!

20. Rod911

Rod911 Member

If the good folks over at CPF have got the lumens reading right for a 2D LED Maglite, then I would say that you wouldn't have to spend much at all in order to get a torch that outshines that Maglite. As for what to get, that just depends on everything from:

• quality
    • budget
    • form factor
    • battery options

I've got an EagleTac T10L and T20C2-NW MkI and I like them both. I don't have any complaints about either of them. The only real issue I have though is that the T20C2-NW seems to need more maintenance than my other lights (cleaning of contacts), as it sometimes does not register the head twisting properly. This isn't a big deal unless I want that low mode, but I've got other lights these days that serves my low light needs.

Regarding the torches available at LE Gear, I don't own any of the brands that they sell, sorry.