LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Nah, I doubt any are the correct lumens and all are exaggerated. I don't use it constantly so it lasts for a few weeks, plus I use the red higher cap Ultrafire 18650's.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Fair call - Ive bought a few cheap torches for work and without fail - all have died quickly. I will admit to not having bought one from DE but the EagleTac T20C2 MKII has visually hooked me.

3. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

4. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Yeah I had a browse through there yesterday. Grouse isnt it? Looking at it again now lol.

Nano - I emailed for postage and possible discount on the torch I want, theEagleTac T20C2 MKII. Should come in around AU$100 delivered.

5. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I've dropped mine a few times and it's still going strong, mate's 4 cree torch has died, I had to by pass the modes pcb and run it direct, works ok now.

6. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

You've got a EagleTac T20C2 MKII have you?

7. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I think MagyaR is saying that his DX torch (the one linked to earlier) is still going strong. The Aurora AK-P7-5.

But, Akh, you've got me sold on the EagleTac now. I want one :upset: Shoot me a PM if you decide on buying it from overseas. If you can save more dosh by buying too (I'll grab a few accessories, too) then maybe we can get a group buy, and split the package once in Australia. You can keep the profits for your troubles ;)

8. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Group buy sounds good. I got an email from illuminationgear's email bloke, cost for one of these torches is US$85.09 First Class Air Mail Shipped to OZ.

If anyone else wants to grab one, I can see of we can get a group order and see if we can get a discount.

Also:
    holster/case - the T20 comes standard with a flap style belt holster case that will fit up to 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch belt

If any one else is interested I will see what numbers, see if I can get a thread going with a group buy....might save some money all round.

9. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

10. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

We'll see if we can get any more people, would be nice if I could wrangle a large order and we get a reduction in price.

People - start looking and we should place an order if enough interest.

11. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

12. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Doesnt seem much interest.....Nano it may be you and me mate?

13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Yeah seems like it. I'm not too keen on the JetBeam. I already have my Dereelight, so it'll just be wasted money.

It seems the LumaPower Trust Model 1 is due some time next week, but if they don't have any in stock I'll just go with my original order from my last post. If you get a quote back from illuminationgear and you're ready to order, just shoot me a PM and we'll go from there.

14. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

No worries bloke. The other torch was just an option that was offered on cpf via pm lol, in case another member here wanted that one instead.

15. damo2002

damo2002 Member

Led Lenser seem to have a bad rep on certain other forums that I'm sure a lot of users here probably visit :Paranoid: but I picked up a Led Lenser MT7 the other day. Seems to be the latest version of the P7/T7 range, with added strobe & I think it's regulated(!) which seemed to be a lot of people's beef with it (aside from the price, of course..). It's a bit brighter than the older models too. This is my first real foray into decent flashlights, aside from an Inova X5 & Inova X1 I bought a few years ago. Didn't purchase it for any real purpose :)lol:), so I figured the adjustable beam was the way to go, and it works really well! Set to flood it does a good job of lighting up the surrounding area, and throw, well, throws it really far! Can also set it to something in between and lock it in place too.

Looked at the Olight M20/M21 & JetBeam M III, as well as some Fenix torches before picking this up. The adjustable beam thing did it for me, as well as being able to use AAAs - which, while I know they aren't the best for high powered torches - are readily available, and the CR123A rechargables I got for the Inova X5 wouldn't work for the life of me - I do realise that was probably my fault for not reading everything thoroughly before trying to charge them though.

Dad's interested in getting one now. Might look into one of the others I mentioned if he's not too interested in the focus thing though - or any other suggestions?

16. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I was in Ballarat shopping yesterday and picked up a led lenser - no idea of the model, about the same size as the EagleTac T20C2 MKII I think - it wasnt bad quality but was only 200 lumen, appeared decent quality but was retailing for $129AU there - and its not as good from what I read as the EagleTac T20C2 MKII.

Im trying to gather support for a big purchase of the EagleTac T20C2 MKII Damo....pass the word or jump in? SHould be able to get a discount on postage at least if we get decent numbers together.

17. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Yeah I look in at King of Knives every time I pass one to look at their torches, but I feel they're overpriced for what they are. Mainly because they all essentially have the same guts, just slightly different features. Plus my DealExtreme cheapy is about a 1/4 of the price and comparable brightness.

Although, I so keep looking in KoK, just in case they have a daily special and might get one cheap.

I'm still in for a EagleTac, although I think the Li-ion batteries kinda puts off "mainstream" torch users. They're still a slave to the alkaline market.

18. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Meh if they last and last well and we end up with a damn good quality torch, its worth it in the long run. Ive used too many cheapies over the years, sick of having to keep buying them.

I will give this another few days Nano then I will pm you if no one else wants in and we will arrange an order.

19. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Anyone else want in?

20. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member