LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Sorry mate but I am looking at not purchasing anything else until a 1500 OTF lumen light comes out that is powered by 2*18650s. Until then, I think all my current lighting needs are covered.

edit: also I already have the MKI version. For a throwier light, I've got the Catapult v1. The XP-G lights that I own, I prefer to be used as a general purpose light because they don't throw as far compared to XR-E based lights.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

No worries - I will make a call at the end of this week - had a pm from another member who may grab two.

You guys seen the reviews on this beast? The Maelstrom g5? More expensive but might be the next torch after the T20C2 MKII lol!

3. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Note that the Maelstrom still uses the same XP-G module, so you probably won't notice a difference with light output.

I say wait untill you get your first torch. Then if you're happy with that style of torch, either grab yourself a second torch, or just upgrade the drop-in LED module :thumbup:

4. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Oh still buying the one we've been talking about - but I can see torch collecting becoming a small addication :thumbup::thumbup:

5. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Has anyone here come across tritium markers?
    e.g.
    http://www.kitbag.com.au/category625_1.htm

Kitbag seems to be the only Australian store that has them. Well... LEDsales.com.au has them... for $4 more...

I know there's a few guys on CPF that hand make tritium fobs, but Kitbag can't ship them to the US, so I'd imagine that they can't be shipped from the US, either.

6. apsilon

apsilon Member

Yeah I have a few. They're not very bright at all but in complete darkness they're good for finding a tent zipper etc when you don't want to turn a torch on and lose your night vision.

As stupid as it sounds export from the US (and probaby us) is restricted as they're radioactive (tiny tiny amounts) so there's lots of paperwork and most vendors just can't be bothered doing the work and paying all the fees etc.

7. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

Does anyone know where I could possibly find a CR123A charger in Southside Brisbane?

My last one blew up, I go on a hunting trip on Friday and I would like to use my torches (after all thats why I bought them!)

I ordered some others from HK a fortnight ago but they still havent turned up :(

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

9. tazwegion

tazwegion Member

Well there's a certain little Army Surplus Store in the Bridge Mall (Ballarat) selling the MT7's at $129.00 currently was it one of those? :confused:

Additionally the deciding factor between the T20C2 MKII & the Jetbeam Jet-III M would be your intended application, considering they have similar UI's it comes down to OTF Lumens & beam width, the R2 of the Jet3M has a decidedly tighter focal point (and hence throw) when compared to the good but floodier R5 of the Eagletac, both are great lights :D

No Lithium charger should be trusted OR left unattended, I'd be keeping an eye on it no matter it's pedigree ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  10. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Well, whomever suggested the cheapy Headlamp from DealExtreme... THANK YOU. I just arrived home from a Cane Toad muster here in the Sutherland Shire. They've taken habitat down in Taren Point.

There I was marching along with my $80 chinese branded headlamp, amongst the Petzl's and even handheld croc hunting torches, and mine still out-shone the lot :thumbup:

11. Omarko

Omarko Member

got my little Cree Q5 torch from ebay today :) very nice build quality I must say. The UV function is kinda useless imo but nice addition nonetheless.

I have been eyeing this baby - LINK

what do u guys think ? are they worth the money ? I could not find any reviews.

12. Rod911

Rod911 Member

That light is not worth its price. DX has a similar light here. Note though the plastic lens in the DX light. However, you could probably get a glass lens replacement from DX.

At $50, I probably would give it a crack, but at $85, I would think of something else. But then again, I only have the one 'big' light in my (the V1, note V2 as per link) arsenal and that cost me twice as much as the eBay link.

13. Omarko

Omarko Member

nice, thanks ....

one of the reviewers says that the lens is actually glass so I'll just buy it and see what it comes with. Like u said, it can always be replaced.

14. Rod911

Rod911 Member

15. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

What would be the brightest led available now in a torch?

Also those 4 led torches suck, mates died and I had to by pass the main circuitry to make it work again as the microchip shat itself.

16. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Well as per our discussion at the end of page 32, it depends on the battery size(s) and run time you want/require.

I'm curious to see what's the latest in the 1*18650/2*18650 size range.

Reading this thread has given me the idea of building a dedicated torch case. Something that I can stash all my torches together with spare batteries, and keep them safe. If I can find a suitable size one, I'll mod my hobby charger to fit into the lid :thumbup:
    *EDIT* Wow, I'm not original :p
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=216828

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Wow, I thought I asked ages ago, am only looking on dx though.

18. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Read that thread on the weekend and thought about the same thing! However, after sleeping on it for a couple of nights, realised that I already keep all my lights in some sort of holster, so I wouldn't need one of those.

Also, when I do go traveling with my lights, I prefer to keep them loose. I do like the idea of having it all in the one case that's ready to be carried and shipped out in a moment's notice.

The multi-LED lights were at the forefront of my thoughts of the brightest lights DX have. If you don't feel like getting one of those, a P7/MC-E/SST-50 based light that is driven quite hard would probably fit the bill. However, I don't have one in mind to recommend. It's pretty much a matter of wading through the reviews to find a light that meets your requirements.

I did say I won't be getting another light until the new emitters come out, but the MG P-Rocket (XP-G edition), whetted my appetite once more. I've got the SST-50 version and the build quality is great, so I'm expecting the XP-G version to be the same. I'll wait for a couple of reviews before pulling the trigger.

19. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Yeah I feel the same, but now I'm finding myself taking the following with me when I head out
    1. 1*18650 UV torch
    2. 2*18650 Dereelight
    3. Energizer cheapy LED, but it's very light and quite bright for it's size (2*AA)
    4. DX Headlamp with external power pack (4*18650)
    5. 8-12 spare 18650s
    6. CRKT folding knife
    7. Aeroguard ;)
    8. DSLR camera
    Most of the extra torches are spares for others that come along empty handed.

I'm thinking I might get a large case to hold everything in it, and then a small case specifically for the batteries that I will toss in my backpack. Hopefully the battery case will fit inside the larger one :thumbup:

20. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Its nice but I am eying off the M series - m2c4 for starters - 900 lumens aint bad!