LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Rod911

Rod911 Member

On a side note, nearly all of 4Sevens' lights have been updated with S2 emitters. The new emitter is supposed to result in 7% more brightness, which in reality, you probably won't end up seeing.

Their new line of lights are here, and you can have a look at the discussion about them here.

2. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Might be an idea perhaps, and I will float this past you gents, for a listing with our respective torches that we own? Even a seperate thread for torches - your thoughts?

3. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Nah this thread gets little attention as it is. Best just to keep it here.

My first torch was a Deal Extreme UV
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10709
    Takes 1*18650 battery. Pretty shit throw. Great to play around with in a room, but outdoors it's impossible to find anything unless you're scanning close to the ground.

At the time I was still using a budget charger I got off eBay. My brother bought a white Cree 18650 torch from DX at the same time.
    I was impressed with the amount of light it threw, so I decided to get myself a "real" torch.

That ended up being a Dereelight CL1H V4
    http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hv4.htm
    It too takes a single 18650 battery, or two if you use the barrel extension tube.
    Very impressed with it. Came with spare o-rings, and pot of lube, spare glow-in-the-dark clicky button, and packaged in a nice box.
    Still outshines any of the other torches my fellow herpers have.

I have a 2*AA Energizer, but I can't find any reference to it anywhere :( Good little cheapy i picked up from Coles when I was short handed one night.r

My most recent addition:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489
    900 LUMENS
    4*18650 pack in a 2S2P config.
    Dedicated AC/DC charger
    Capable of mounting on handle bars, or comes with elastic strap for headlamp use.

This thing throws light like a mo fo. For $80 with free shipping, it simply shits all over the Petzls and other professional headlamps my mates have. And they spent upwards of $150 for theirs, and still require disposable batteries.
    I can't recommend it enough.

And by know you're starting to notice a running theme of my 18650 battery use ;)

I charge them all using a Turnigy Accucel 150W 7A balance charger
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7523

This beast can charge EIGHT lithium batteries at the same time with load balancing to make sure that no cell is left behind. Comes with a thermocouple with a little magnet glued into it. It simply sticks onto any battery you choose, and shuts down the device if the temperature exceeds a certain level.

I built myself a charging station, so I can charge any number of batteries from 1-8. All I have to do is move a single wire to the position that designates the beginning of the "series". It's designed to charge RC hobby packs, but I use to charge individual cells.

Comes with a slew of features to calibrate and condition your batteries. If I wasn't using Vista x64 I'd be able to log everything on computer :( I might have to try it with my netbook.

So that's it for me. I'm now in the market for an upgrade of my primary torch (Dereelight).
    Anyone know of a good 18650 torch with a focusable beam?

p.s. let me know if you want any photos/benchmarks/tutorials for anything I've mentioned above.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  4. Omarko

Omarko Member

hey guys

I want to buy one of these - LINK

to charge my 18650 batteries but I am looking for the "cartridge" that I need so I can load up 1,2,3,4 or whatever size/number of batteries in.

has anyone seen something like that ?

5. Rod911

Rod911 Member

My list of lights can already be found here if any one is interested. It's updated regularly and I've also tried to include the emitter details whenever I can.

6. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Hey Omarko, shoot me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you my worklog of my hobby charger.

There's nothing commercial (that I know of) to do what you want.

But basically, you need to start with a cradle:
    http://www.luminousdiy.com/Light Kits and Parts.htm#holders

Then add some banana plug (or similar) terminals, to tap into each of the batteries for different configurations.

Then you need to get a 6S charging lead to sacrifice for your cradle - Whoops, I see your eBay item comes with this already :thumbup:

If you do a search on Candle Powered Forums you'll find similar guides, but if you get in contact, I should still have an email in my Sent folder that I shot off to another OCAU member ;)

What are your favourite torches? Are there any stand out items you'd recommend to us?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  7. tino1984

tino1984 Member

hi guys,

I've been looking through the thread it seems you guys get your flashlights at dealextreme.
    I was wondering if anyone can help me get a nice/decent led flashlight that uses aa or aaa battery. I figured it would be handy to keep one in the car.

There seems to be a lot to choose from any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Here are some the I like:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4945
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1993
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12065

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

First is sold out ;) the other two look alright for the price.

Browse the AAs here by number of reviews
    http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.942~page.1~pagesize.52~pagesort.reviews

And just have a look at some of the comments from buyers.

If you just want an emergency light, maybe get this little rechargeable torch
    http://www.legear.com.au/product-p/zen-zl7575.htm

I've seen them on the counter of my local BatteryWorld, but I don't know how much they were selling for.

Rod911 above has a lot of experience with compact AA torches ;)

9. ccmarci

ccmarci Member

10. tino1984

tino1984 Member

Thanks NanoDuke for the input I looked into the cigarette lighter and other AA powered torches.
    I think I will go with ccmarci suggestion its perfect and the reviews are great.

11. Omarko

Omarko Member

so few days ago I received :

Cree Q4 LINK

and

UltraFire WF-501B CREE XPG R5 LINK

I gotta say ... the Q4 is absolutely amazing for the price ... I was completely blown away. If you want basic torch with decent output to have as a spare in your car or few places around the house, this is definitely not a bad choice.

The Ultrafire, I absolutely love ... I bought another Q5 from DX but it cant compare.

So far this is NEW world to me and I only have 3 torches but I am more and more fascinated by the various technologies used ... (and my neighbours must think I am crazy when in the middle of the night I point the beams from my torches when I am testing / playing with them into the park next to the house hahhahhhhhaa).

12. Omarko

Omarko Member

another one arrived today !

the MTE SF-23 SSC P7-D-SXO - LINK

can't wait to get home and have a proper look and go :) yay ! anyone tried this model ?

I also ordered UltraFire WF-502B MC-E (BIN K) and TrustFire P7-F16 SSC P7-WC 3-Mode so I am curious how they come out. Does anyone have one of these ? Any thoughts ?

Big thanks to NanoDuke for the worklog for the charger, with so many torches, I need one !!!! :)

13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Wow Omarko, you've been bitten and then some by the torch bug.

Has anyone here made a "high" power laser pointer before? I see there's a lot of kits going around to fit a blu-ray diode into a standard cree torch host.

14. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Got this little baby in from Malaysia of all places - its genuine, got it off a member at CPF, god damn it rocks!!

Now trying for a 500-900 lumen one :):)

15. Omarko

Omarko Member

lol .... to be honest, its the cheapest hobby I had so far !!! lol ... although I cant comment how expensive it gets once I get to modding of the torchlights and building one from scratch :)

btw just had a quick play with the MTE SF-23 SSC P7-D-SXO ... wow what a diff to the previous torches I got so far ... the throw is quite poor but the flood is amazing ... it fills a huge amount of space with light ... pretty cool ... build quality is average to high .. threads are lubed and the rubber seals seem to fit and functon well. the button on the back is not the best though, you have to press it really hard and all the way down ... but I guess I can live with that. It seems to heat up a fair bit. Im going to leave it running for good 15-20mins and see how how it gets. Also, it rolls easily as the groves on the sides are so small ... not a big fan of this to be honest in case you need to place the torch on flat surface to have solid focus.

EDIT: 13 mins of constant running makes the torch unbearable to carry ... literaly burns my hand !!!!!!!!!! crazy !!!! is there any way to address this ?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  16. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Not much you can do unless you want to go extreme with modding.

Some ideas that come to mind:

1) find a suitable radial(axial?) heat sink to mount around the lens.
    2) Drill holes into the cone for ventilation
    3) mod the circuitry to pulse the LED to give 50% duty cycle :p:D

17. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I EDC a Quark MiNi AAw that's attached to my keys and is powered by a 14500 battery. Also in my satchel/man bag :)p) that I carry to work nearly every day, I stow away an EagleTac T20C2 MkI (neutral white) along with a two 18650 cells and this as an emergency source of power for my phone. I forgot to mention, I also clip in a Preon Ti onto my pants as well. I work in a suited environment and all you really see is the clip, and I don't think it's noticeable either.

To be honest, the amount of lights I carry is overkill, but you never know, right? Most of the times, a quick blast of light under my desk will find where that stress ball has landed or I may need to connect some plug on the back of my PC - they've certainly been helpful in those situations.

I have recently switched from using the P-Rocket around the home to the Quark AA² Tactical. This was mainly because the Quark was, from day 1, assigned as a car light and I really have never used it at all. It's interesting to find that its moon mode (0.2 lumen) is surprisingly quite bright to dark adjusted eyes - in some cases, I've wanted a light that can go lower than that.

My favourite light/s? Can I say all of them? I do have to say though that the one light that has surprised me the most was the UltraFire C2 MC-E. It's not really a budget light either considering you can get P7/MC-E based lights over in DX at a much cheaper price point, but I just don't like blinky modes, and I was willing to pay that little bit extra for not having those features. It's a really plain old simple interface and bright light. If you didn't do the frosted lens mod that I did with mine, it has great balance between spot, spill and throw to be helpful for any day to day duty.

I love the first gen EagleTacs. Nice score. The only issue I have had with mine is with the T20C2 - it just needs some cleaning at the battery end of the head every 3 months or so. If it doesn't get cleaned up, the switching into low mode can get a bit flaky at times.

Are you trying to carry it during that time or are you turning it on for that long and then try to carry it? If it's the latter and you're using the light to illuminate the area via a ceiling bounce, the light should be water proof enough that you are able to dunk half of it in water whilst it is turned on. If it's the former, it's probably just poor design.

Looking at the different components of the light, is it possible to add an aluminum-foil-arctic-silver-sandwich over here:

Click to view full size!

Also, this is what I mean by a 'sandwich':

Click to view full size!

My leet paint skills. :leet: The dark gray is the aluminum foil and the light gray is the arctic silver sandwiched between the foil layers. This is then wrapped around the area I pointed in the picture above. Hopefully this results in the heat being focused into the head first before it hits the body.

18. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

That's great Rod911, just what I was after.

I'm starting to get more emails requesting a write up for a hobby charger. Remind me during the week to do a proper one to post up here on OCAU :lol:

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

Hi all, I need to replace my 3 x D cell maglight cuz lets be honest it's shit for light and always has been.

What is good about it and these are some of the features I'd like in the new torch is the size, it's toughness (I uhm, need to whack things with it...) and the ability to change the beam width.

I'm looking at the Fenix TK-40 ATM. The fact that it will run on either 4 or 8 std AA batteries is great, also the SOS mode and slow strobe and long run life are big selling points for me!

Could you guys make some suggestions which might suit me please.