LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

I personally like this, for under $20 shipped, it can't be beaten.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-tr-b3-cree-led-flashlight-with-clip-3-cr123a-11919

It is super bright, very well built, cheap and runs on CR123A's. I have 6 of these spread around my house, you know, in case of zombies.

2. okisub

okisub Member

I love this customer review on DX of that torch:
    "Cons:My wife says this torch is "almost too bright". Are you crazy? Get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich, there's no such thing as "too bright"! "

3. ChaosMaster

ChaosMaster Member

Lolz, very nice. But any actual comparison shots of it? How's it compare to a Fenix Tk35? Or P7? Or even my new toy, the XTAR A01 (has really nice throw, and is bright, out does my Quark 123^2 by miles and build quality is solid).

4. Gierke

Gierke Member

5. ChaosMaster

ChaosMaster Member

Well, I've just recieved my XTAR A01. Solid build, very good price. 400ANSI Lumens, and it seems like it too. Did a bounce test, torch on table, lit up the room like a 40w light bulb. The way I like it. Only conern with these UltraFire's is that while they claim 900 Lumen, that's not ANSI, it's not even OTF. So I'm just wondering, if it's really worth paying for it? What do you guys think.

6. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

I'm looking for the best damn headlamp torch out there, I currently have a led lenser h7 but it burns through the AAA's.. :( I've considered the rechargeable version but before i get work to buy it for me i thought i should do some research...

Cliffs: Must be mounted to my hard hat

Anyone got any recommendations? :)

7. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

If it's for work, and they can pay for it or you claim by tax, then I don't think you can go past ..... ....

Ah fuck. I can't for the life of me find it now.

It was a heavy duty industrial one. Suited to miners.

Not Princeton Tec, and not Petzl....

They were exxy, and out of the reach of your everyday flashaholic.

8. tornado33

tornado33 Member

Got this 900 lumen LED torch yesterday. They say 1000 but its a 900 lumen LED and actually isnt quite driven to full power anyway, which is good for longetivity

It has an interesting regulation built in. There is a click switch at the end, each time power is turned off then on, one of 3 modes happens. That is full power, lower power and rapid blinking.

I put a multimeter across the end, and it draws about 1.35 amps at full power, and 0.3 at low power.

Only bummer is battery is wrapped up in the holder so the charger can be plugged into it direct, though Im sure if the battery dies in the future I can get it out and put in a new one.

When in low power mode if I hold it near my ear I can hear the hum of the thyristor or whatever its called that reduces power, by chopping it at several kilohertz, if I wave my fingers through the light I can just see the strobing, its very fast though

Even on low power it is quite bright and adequate for general use. Its fairly well sealed with O rings though I wouldnt fully immerse it in water.

Supplied charger finishes charge at 4.21 volts, apparently 4.2 volts is the correct value to cease charging of that type of battery.

http://www.rathboneenergy.com/batteries/battery_cells_by_mfg/sanyo/sanyo_lion_pdf/UR18650F.pdf

To make the cell last many more cycles I will stop charging when it gets to around 4.0 volts. Also will try and avoid deep discharges too, as mentioned here

Overall Im happy with what I got for the money

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  9. Scratch2k

Scratch2k Member

lol, check the username on that review :)

As for a comparison, I would do so but I have nothing to compare it to other than one other decent DX torch (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/romisen-rc-f4-gitd-cree-flashlight-black-3v-8v-3386) which isn't quite as bright but a bit more compact for carrying around.

10. ChaosMaster

ChaosMaster Member

Then thing with rated Lumens, from generic brands, is that their far from the truth. 900lm is what the P7 is capable of, and at cold temps. Test have shown that OTF lumens are closer to 550lm, or 400 ANSI Lumens, there about. XML based are brighter, and thus P7 are going fairly cheap now. Having said that, $15 for 400 ANSI lumens ain't bad at all.

11. booboo

booboo Member

recently got a tk45, really impressed with it too. Ive also used it on my bike for some mountain roads where there's no street lights for about 7km's. just need to find a better mount cause its 39mm diameter makes it a bit harder. the twofish block works but being made from rubber it moves around a bit over bumps. going to try cable ties on a normal handle bar mount....but anyone got any better mounting idea's? a mount that works like this but more solid https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=274

12. Gierke

Gierke Member

Are you referring to the LD01? I recently got one for work and it's great!

13. ging

ging Member

I've heard pretty good things about 4Seven's Preon 1:

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_332_366

though the S2 model in black (the one i'm after) has been sold out for a while so no hands on experience with it yet.

14. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

If anyone needs 18650 cells with high discharge rates (10A+), drop me a PM.
    I have some A123 Systems LiFePO4 cells.

15. Arg999

Arg999 Member

http://www.foxfury.com/
    Was it these guys?

16. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Interesting... would these be suitable for torches? Do they get hot?

Close but no dice. The website was pretty poor. Circa 1990's coding :p

Maybe the company has disappeared.
    This is the closest "cap lamp" I could find
    http://www.nltinc.com/GII_Miners.html

Designed for rugged environments.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  17. borked

borked Member

Interested in more info :)

Lupine
    Mammut
    Silva

Any of those ?

18. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

19. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

Unfortunately, the main problem with LiFePO4 cells for torches is that they have a lower capacity compared to, say, a Samsung or Panasonic Li-Ion 18650. Only 1.1 Ah rating at a nominal voltage of 3.3/3.2v. However, if you have HEAVY USE, these batteries have a very good lifespan. 100% DoD (Depth of Discharge) and A123 claim over 1000 cycles. Up to 2000 cycles I think with 50% DoD.

These don't heat up as much as Li-Ion + more tolerant of temperature than Li-Ion.

Also, if you fear you get you torches crushed and it has Li-Ion batteries (Li-Ion + Damage = Fire/Explosion), LiFePO4 is tolerant to punctures, damage etc. without causing fires.

Also, much more tolerant of over-charging and over-discharging, and higher discharge and charging rates (discharge up to 30A continuous, 65A peak for 10 seconds; charging max rate at 5A (3.6V), recommended charge rate of 1.5A).

For the same price of 1 decent Li-Ion 18650 cell, you can get 3 LiFePO4 cells. So, cheaper as well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  20. PhilDee

PhilDee Member

My new Fenix TK41 just arrived. Was trying to find the best AA powered torch I could and this seemed like it.

Very impressed so far, I've had a Fenix L2D for years which has been great but this one makes it look quite dull.