LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ReP0

ReP0 New Member

Have to say the reviews have peaked my interest. I've got a rather shitty Engergizer hardcase (2xAA) LED flashlight (see http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/worklights/Pages/hard-case-flashlights.aspx). It's throw is rather pathetic and I'm not happy with it so it might be time for an upgrade.

To give me an idea of what to expect can anyone give me an idea of how much lux the energizer has so I have something to use as a reference..

Also which battery type is the best? I noticed CRA123 etc in the reviews and since I don't have anything other than a AA/AAA charger I kind of would like the know what the best battery tech is to produce max lux vs operating time vs ability to hold charge since I'm not really vested in any. I really don't want something like my energizer lithiums (AA) which due to their leakage current will only hold a charge for a max week before battery starts to lose power. I think AA will be out of the question due to the short time and lower lux figures generally.

TIA!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

3. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

So is the RC-T5 the brightest Cree torch out there what is reasonably priced? What's with KD's shitty search?

4. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

From what I've read, there's similar configuration torches that will be brighter (especially customs), but I think for the price its pretty hard to beat at the moment (even DIY)

Apparently it hasn't got a MASSSIVE throw, but rather a good throw and really good spill. I'm hoping it would be a good basis to a mountain biking light.

Search for it on the candlepowerforum as there's a BIG thread about it that sums up the pros and cons of it. Apparently there's a bit of an issue with it flickering in 'low' mode with certain battery combos. Also there's apparently there's potentially 2 versions with slightly different emitters. No way of choosing though, and apparently the more recent ones contain the better emitters - so hopefully that's a nice bonus.

Mine's still waiting for the supplier. Rather annoying considering it was said to be in stock, and I paid for express shipping. Oh well, can't complain too much, it is a very cheap side (DX).

edit:

Woohoo - should be seeing it mid next week I'm guessing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. dosada

dosada Member

Could someone please link me to the brightest flashlight available at dealsextreme. It is just to confusing to figure out which one it how bright if you are no expert.

Thanks

6. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Oh dear, KD is a shitty site!! trying to find where to log in, stuff from cart keeps disappearing!! I thought ok maybe because I was a guest, then I created account added stuff to cart, get home and it's empty again!!! Their searching facility is terrible as well.

7. ReP0

ReP0 New Member

Well it's very confusing, expecially once you start looking at battery types and size of flashlight and running time.. hehe I'm still trying to wrap my head around it but the reviews are pretty good. I like the running time graphs and the lux ratings (bigger lux = brighter).

So in general:
    Can anyone confirm which battery types may have problems with leakage current (like most AA NimH exhibit). I want to leave this light in the glove box and don't want it to run flat after a week or two..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  8. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

From what I gather, the lithiums are prety good for low/no drain. Alternatively there are some specific NimHs (Enerloops) that have very low drain, but currently they have slightly less capacity. I think ~2200-2400 vs 2700 for some 'big' AAs.

I boguht some "Vaata" AAs from Coles of all places, that claim to have very low drain. Haven't bothered testing thoroughly though as I tend to be using them quite regulalrly. (I have a single AA MTE 5-mode Rebel torch zip tied to my biek helmet).

If no one can help you here, go have a look on www.candlepowerforum.com - I'm sure someone there will have your answer. With that said, if you're jsut getting into 'hi-performance' torches, I'd recommend doing some reading yourself as there's more to torches than 'how bright'. Availability of batteries, throw vs spill, regulation, form factor. focusable, lifetime are all quite important.

9. jakiman

jakiman Member

Brightest Light at DX? Here ya go.

If you want to spot a beer from 50m+ away like a spotlight:
    - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951
    - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951 (~15% brighter)

If you want to light up your backyard:
    - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10452

If you want to light up your whole neighbourhood :D
    - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10558

Then buy Sanyo Eneloops, GP Recyko, Uniross Hybrio or Varta Ready2Use batteries. (some are even available in Coles etc). These are all called Low Self Discharge (LSD) nimhs. They hold around 80%+ charge even after a year of non-use.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  10. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Are the Eneloops a good all rounder or are they just good for the slow discharge, 2700mah seems too good to be true.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  11. jakiman

jakiman Member

Eneloops are only 2000mAh I believe.
    Some has 2100mAh but no higher yet

Sanyo is one of the best rated rechargeable battery maker.
    Eneloops are definitely up there in terms of performance.

2700mAh normal NiMh is good if you use them straight after you charge them.
    But if you leave it in the drawer for 2 months, 50% or more is already gone...

LSD NiMhs retain its charge much much longer.
    So you won't have to recharge them after no tusing them for a while.

All up, it's up to how you will use them. If you always fully use the batteries up within about a month of charging them, get the higher capacity ones. If you don't, you'll find that LSD ones with lower capacity will actually last longer over time.

12. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Ok so the Sanyo 2700MAH are not Eneloops.

13. xtreme2k

xtreme2k Member

I got some GP Recyko+ in hk
    They are very cheap
    much cheaper than sanyo

These are long life rechargable
    2050mAh

arent bad considering the price
    I think it only cost me A$10 for a standard charger with 2 AA

quality is good also.
    not rubbish quality at all

14. jakiman

jakiman Member

That's correct. They are just normal NiMhs. Albeit very good ones. :thumbup:

15. avexdevil

avexdevil Member

got a cree myself (the one that runs on a single AA batt) and bought 2 of those blue trustfire rechargeable batts off dalextreme for under $30aud shipped. Awesome torchlight, bright enough that it makes u look away when you stare down its barrel when its switched on.

16. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

So is the sun? Isn't it enough to test it at night instead of burning your retinas? :p:shock:

17. avexdevil

avexdevil Member

just using it as a form of comparison. well there you go, the sun is really bright isn't it :lol:. All i know was that the torches i owned before didnt cause me to look away when i stared at the bulb.

18. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

What's the deal with returns and DX, I have a Romisen RC-F4 and noticed when I received it that the clicker wouldn't work, I tightend it a little and didn't think about it again, then the other day it didn't want to turn off and that the switch was really sensitive, so I turned it off and put it in the console, wanted to show it to a mate and last night and it was flat!!

19. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

Im thinking of buying all three of these lights. Do the first two come with batteries? Can someone please babysit me and recommend me some other batteries and a charger? I would really appreciate it. I have heard about some batteries not fitting into some torches and it's a bit of a headf#ck at the moment. Anything else you could recommend would be great as well.

I'll give you a very short backstory as to why i want these torches. I run a precast concrete business and our yard gets broken into very very regulary. It's a large property and it's almost impossible to stop people jumping the fences or just cutting locks. Almost every time i go out on the road i drive past the yard and check it out. As such I need to shine through a chain link fence and need a throw of at least 150m. I will almost always be doing this from a car, a drive by if you will. Thats what I have planned for the 35w hid.

On three occasions I've seen them leave the property and one occasion I've chased them from the property. The big bugger will come in handy for that, as well as the second smaller one on the list. Would be good if they have a tac head for them. Our new alarm system that we will soon install will alert me as soon as they enter the property, before they break into things and set of the main alarm. With this alarm I'll be able to get there before they even know Im onto them. Knife the car tyres, blind the fuckers and then tell the coppers you found them in a pool of their own blood.

What I would give for the 1kw tank light on CPF. Mount that to the roof racks and operate it via the moonroof. So sweet.

The first light will just be for the hell of it. The missus goes to bed early and i stay up late. I prefer to walk around the house with a torch then turn on lights all the time. One time I was in bed and at 1am about 5 kids started ringing out doorbell. Our bedroom is upstairs above the door, with a balcony above it. I very quietly opened the balcony door and stood above them and shone the light on them. It was great that they were virtually blinded and i had the elevation advantage :) In the end I kind of knew they were harmless, they had the wrong address and were after a mates house. Was good to give them a little shock tho.

Im sure some of you would have seen this. Still cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bLNoMKxMk

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  20. jakiman

jakiman Member

Nearly all LED lights do not come with any batteries.
    Buy protected lithiums when you can. It's just a little safer.
    Also, most of these big lights fit any batteries just fine. =)

This cheap charger is really all you need for 18650 charging.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.936

And you can get any protected 18650 for them. (Ultrafire or Trustfire)
    If you really need good batteries however, consider these from AW.
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=173892