LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

MagyaR - How do you find which bits have and haven't shipped? My order was apparently shipped yesterday, but it doesn't say if its all of it, or which parts etc. 3-6 days to get here apparently.

2. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

He will split them into multiple orders, mates had up to 3, I don't even trust what it says any more, pending to shipped to ETA, guys full of shit.

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

@ the "order summaries" page click the order your intested in. You will now be on the "tracking summary" page. Click "invoice" to see the status of each item. Yes it can be wrong at times saying they are shipped when its not but I have found to just keep checking and they get around to correcting the status.

My last order came in four seperate parcels :) :).

4. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Aaaah, I see, I kepy going to 'track order'!

SKU Product or Service Name Quantity Price Shipping
    733 2.5mm to 3.5mm Audio Cable x 3 Shipped $0.97
    1251 UltraFire 3.6/3.7V Battery Charger x 1 Shipped $12.28
    2396 Kingston MicroSD TransFlash 2GB Memory Card (JAPAN) x 1 Shipped $17.46
    3607 Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree Flashlight Black (1xAA) x 1 Shipped $10.90
    5790 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue) x 2 Shipped $10.00
    6162 MTE 5-Mode 100 Lumens Rebel Flashlight (AA / 0100 BIN) x 2 Shipped $17.90
    10452 Romisen RC-T5 4-Cree 3-Mode LED Flashlight with Holster (4xCR123A / 2x18650) x 1 Shipped $49.29

You beauty! I hope they are all actually shipped, as should only be 3-6 days now. Really quite excited to try out the 4 Cree Romisen.

5. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Mate received two wf-600's on Friday yet I ordered before him and my ETA is 3/2 which has been bumped up 3 times now.

6. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

DX can be crap in that regard, I ordered a laser about a month ago with a 7 day ETA. ETA passed and mine was not shipped yet people who ordered after me got theirs shipped.

7. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

my uncle gave ma an aurora 1.5w powered by 2xAA uses a lens instead of a reflective cone and bugger i luv it, that and you can use maglite accesories with it:thumbup:

8. flurex

flurex Member

Just ordered my RC-G2 from DX, even though it's back ordered I don't mind being in a queue :)

9. m_f

m_f Member

Mine just got shipped! I ordered the grey one to avoid the back order

10. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Just took both torches wf-600 & the RC-F4 to camping, I reckon the RC-F4 is brighter and has a bigger throw, plus you can take off the end and hang it up in the tent. I was expecting the wf-600 to be brighter due to the Q5.

11. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Just got the RC-G2 and 2 more Rebel 100lumen, 5 mode MTE lights. (The 4xCree is back to pending :()

One of the MTEs refuses to work. It might flash a bit of light when tapped, but I've pulled it apart, sprayed some switch cleaner on it, and made sure there wasn't any crap in it, and still no dice. I'll look into sending it back, but I fear the postage is going to be a bitch!

The RC-G2 is not a bad torch. A tad more tightly focussed than the MTE, which I think is due to the large reflector on it. It is a tiny bit more throwy than the MTE, but I reckon the MTE puts out more light overall. The Cree in the RC-G2 seems a lot warmer/yellower than the Rebel in the MTEs.

I'd personally recommend the 5 mode MTE as worth the extra ~$7 as the form factor is much nicer, and I think despite being slightly less throwy, its spot is bigger, and the spill is stronger. Although I must say the RC's build quality seems a lot nicer, and it is certainly heavier.

I guess to sum it up - I think I'd buy the RC-G2 to give as a present to 'old people'. It works, is far brighter than any cheap incandescent, and is a simple on/off switch. I'd buy the MTE for people that wouldn't be intimidated by half pressing a switch to change between the 5 modes, and won't be frustrated if it takes them ~10seconds to cycle through the modes. And most importantly, I think the MTE produces better lighting.

PS A bit of inner tube from a road bike fits perfectly over the end of these AA torches, becoming much softer on the teeth when you have to hold the torch in your mouth.

12. wRONG

wRONG Member

When I had to send a my ultrafire back to dx i enquired about a refund on postage and instead they let me choose some more products, which they included when they sent the replacement. Postage was $7.50 for me.

13. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Sweet. As long as the postage is <$10, I don't reeeeally mind paying for it myself, as I think the torch could easily sell for ~$30 in Aus. I thought it mighta been a a lot more though. Will chase it up tonight.

14. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Awww yeah!

[​IMG]
    RC-T5 4x Cree (and MTE 5-mode for scale)

Ended up getting the silver/grey instead of black, but I'm quite happy. Makes it stand out from my other torches a bit. I'll add details/thoughts tongiht.

15. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

just wondering, if you wanted to measure the output of one torch ro compare it to another, doing all of this in your own home how would you do it?

16. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

use a digital camera in manual mode if possible . Make sure the aperture and shutter speed remain the same and compare .

17. campbell

campbell Member

If you only wanted rough relative estimates you could try a ceiling bounce. Just sit in a dark room, point your torches at the ceiling one by one, and see which one is easier to read a newspaper by. This gives you an idea of the total light output. Comparing photos is difficult if the beam patterns are totally different.

18. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Has anyone bought the shitty 3346 Handheld Cree Q2 3-Mode LED Lantern (4xAA), I chucked in 4 new Duracells and it wasn't bright at all, I had a look at the cree and it's actually a P4, judging by whats on the DX site, I tried some Sanyo 2700mahs at home and it was a tad brighter, then it popped! started to smoke, what a jib!

19. nakey

nakey Member

I notice we're all getting these lenses from DX.

since i'm heading there in a few days, anyone know where to get them there?

all i've got is a bunch of cheap shitty multi-led torches, the Energiser LED + Xenon torch, and a 1AA LED-lenser that's disappeared somewhere in my room

EDIT:
    Why, yes, i do :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  20. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Set the torches up in a 'locked off' (as in, not moveable or influenced by external forces/objects) platform (i.e. taped to a table, or put on a tripod via clamp) - and aim at a white wall, distance to wall needs to be 1m from the head of the torch.

Get a large target of some type with numerous circular rings a set the same distance apart, the largest approx 1m in diameter.

Darken the room to pitch black, set a camera up 1m away from the wall, or 1.5m from the wall, and lock it off in position.

Set the f stop to approx f7, and the shutter speed to about 1/80th of a second. Keep these settings consistant in your testing. If you need to change it because the light isn't powerful enough, use the same settings if comparing to another torch.

Pretty much got a good set up there.