LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

2. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

can anyone tell me where to get 18650 Batteries locally in brisbane (not online).

I need some urgently.

Thank you

3. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

I would think jaycar is probably the only place, maybe a hobby shop if you're lucky. Be prepared to pay up big time though!

4. Rod911

Rod911 Member

You might want to also try eCig/Vape shops as well. But like AFireInside said, you'll be paying through the nose no matter where you buy it from.

5. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

thanks guys.

checked bunnings, they don't have any.

will try my local jaycar

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I sent a mate to jaycar to get a charger for some 22650's I sent him as a birthday present. Jaycar didn't have a clue what they were, didn't know what might charge them or anything. Told him they'd research it and call him back. I ordered him a charger from DX and had it delivered faster than they figured it out.

Hope you have better luck.

7. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Hey Rod911, recommend any really bright bicycle head lights?

8. Rod911

Rod911 Member

SolarStorm X2 or SolarStorm X3. It's a bit cheaper to buy from GearBest rather than Fasttech for this one. GB do stock the XM-L U2 version of this light, but you might be lucky in getting an XM-L2 version with yours.

I bought a SolarStorm Dx4 from FT which they described as having XM-L LEDs, but when I got it, I got the newer, and supposedly, brighter XM-L2 LEDs in mine.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Still trying to get my refund off the last place for the faulty Ultrafire that came through :lol:

They are not playing nice.

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

How can you tell the difference between a faulty ultrafire and a working one :confused:

:p

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Actually believe it or not I've been pretty impressed with the other one that actually works :p Don't really have any others to compare to but it just absolutely kills anything else I have ever owned before, in every way.

12. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

They both look good. You seen any COB led torches?

13. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Nope. All torches I've seen come normally come with Cree LEDs. I've yet to see a light with a COB type LED.

Why does such an LED type interest you? I personally do not see how such an LED can be useful in a light.

14. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

You'd have serious focusing issues. It'd only be good as an immediate flood-area light.

In saying that, if anyone finds a UV LED panel I'd be keen to have a look at it.

All UV torches have a single Cree SMD or multiple through-hole components. While good for money/ID checks, they're useless for hunting scorpions.

15. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Have you tried using a light with a UV drop-in?

These guys seem to do fine hunting scorpions using a P60 host and a UV drop-in.

edit: possibly consider this. I've seen that particular LED alone sell for US$16. So a complete light for the same price is a bargain.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  16. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I did eons ago when I used to source all my crap from Deal Extreme. Either the diode was cactus, or I fried it, or the host was dodgy. Either way I gave up.

That first link shows mention of using filtered glasses to assist in spotting. I might have to give it a go.

What's the easiest P60 host to work with? Bonus points if it takes AA batteries :p < I see now that's a stupid request

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I've seen them in mechanical torches which have a strip to look around egines etc...

Don't know, they fascinate me, you can get all kinds of shapes now, looking at replacing my blinkers in my motorbike and car.

18. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I've got a SolarForce L2r right next to me. It uses 2*AA cells. The drop-in is toast. Looks like they're still available. Also it looks like their UV drop-in works with a minimum 1.5V so 2*AA in that L2r body should make the setup work.

AliExpress is one place to try and look for everything that's Chinese made.

I spent a good 3-5 hours looking for a laptop bag when they had the 11/11 sale last month. I found it, but when it got here, they sent me a different model entirely. I disputed the transaction, but I was refunded half of the asking price of the bag because that was all I asked for. My previous AliExpress transactions went smoothly, but my last two months worth of purchases, not so good.

19. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I joined gearbest but never received the promo code for $50, also have stuff in the cart which is over $50 yet I see no discount.

20. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Same here, methinks they speak shit with their offers.