LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't snaffle a complete dud.
    Believe it or not, it takes 8.

I'm not fussed, I've already got shitloads of rechargeable batteries. Just got to remember to charge the little buggers.

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Oh well there you go lol. I didn't look at the pics closely enough :O

Yeah I might recommend dropping the tail cap off this one when you're not using it for a while, 8 batteries is a lot to have to keep charged up, would be a real pain in the backside needing to use it and discovering it's run itself flat since you last touched it. I imagine having to set the right mode again would be a lot less frustrating :)

3. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yup. It's less than 3 weeks and then I won't need it, so I'll remove the batteries then. Because they're the same batteries in my mice and remotes and "stuff", the batteries for it won't just need to be charged for a torch I'm not using, which that other type would have to be. It shouldn't be difficult to whack some in if/when I want to use it again. I think I'm better off with ordinary batteries, and it's good that they're not C or D which I don't use for other stuff and don't have lying about for when they wear out.

5. xtreme2k

xtreme2k Member

Ever since I bought my first "proper" LED touch 5 years ago,link, fast forward a few years I now have totally become a nitecore fan and now spent hundreds of dollars on this 'hobby'.

Here's the models and the reasons why I bought these. Do we need a reason?
    MT26 - original purchase, an eye-opener with 800lm and the world of 18650s
    SRT7 - infinitely variable output and coloured LED 960lm
    P36 - MT-G2 LED giving a very neutral(warm) tone and 2000 lm.
    MH20 - great pocket-able touch with about 1000 lm - great for travel
    TM03 CRI - having the high CRI version (XHP 70) gave a much better rendition of colour and 2600lm
    TIP - fits on a keychain 360lm one of the best (got the Christmas edition)
    SRT9 - got a great deal on Gearbest (approx AUD120) just received today, XHP50 LED, 2000lm and infinitely variable brightness and coloured LED.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  6. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Which supplier on Amazon? as most won't send to Australia. Will it arrive within a month?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  7. Copie

Copie Member

Just search for it then tick ship to Australia which is on the left. And yes takes 1-2 weeks

8. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Do the batteries still come through?

Zapals has the Nitecore HC60 $66AUD minus the battery. $89AUD with the Nitecore 3400MAH incl delivery from Amazon.

9. rdamage

rdamage Member

It's honestly worth just stumping up paying a little more and getting it locally, I paid just over $100 for mine and the use I have had over the last couple of years is beyond my other torches by a multitude of 100x, and I have many more torches sitting in a draw not getting used. For everyday use it really is an epic head torch, mine has paid for itself so many times over, the build quality is superb. I'd get it locally and you'll have it few days.

10. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I'd get it without the battery and get Panasonic but local prices are ludicrous, even from the Nitecore store it's a lot less. I don't mind paying local but not at the cost of ripping me off.

Oh, then they rip you more by charging you a delivery fee. Meh.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  11. rdamage

rdamage Member

If you are talking about the Fenix HL60R the difference in cost is not a lot, $110 AUD from Amazon vs $119 + freight locally, not really a rip off if you want it the next day.

12. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  13. mr626

mr626 Member

Not a perfect fit for this thread, but close...

I've been given a Maglite 6D. I love it- build construction is fantastic. However, it's one of the older ones (non-LED). Does anyone have experience with using a LED in these. On ebay there are plenty of cheap options to retrofit them with an LED but I don't know if they are any good.

Edit: For example- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-9V-1...541831?hash=item28259a01c7:g:32UAAOSwj85YQNhe

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  14. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Do a search for "cree maglight" and get one of those modules. I'm not sure what the construction is like of your link, but it might just be a plain old LED i.e. not much of an improvement. Especially the stated lumen output. I'd go cree from China for a cheaper price. The throw pattern might be a bit wonky if that bother you. The Crees without a diffuser can appear boxy in the light pattern it casts.

15. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Has the newer generation Panasonic 18650 shrunk in length?

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

They can't vary much, 18650 actually means 18mm diameter, 65mm length. 14500 = 14mm diameter, 50mm length etc. You do get some cells that are a few mm out length wise, usually due to the protection circuit/poor packaging, but yeah, I wouldn't expect much variance in high quality cells like panasonics.

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

[​IMG]

testing...

Edit: Ok so that works, what's changed?

18. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Bloody fukn, finally. Had to change from Poobucket to flickr which sux as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok that is quite a variance. The specs sheet for these cells specifies a maximum length of 65.3mm. Can I assume the cleaner, shorter cell is the new one? What is the actual length of the cells?

20. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Corrected image, the one on the left is the new cell. Minus nipples.

New Pana 64mm
    Old Pana 67mm
    Nitecore 67.5mm

Need to find my rule as my measuring tape has seen better days.