LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You won't get any of the major name brands at that price AND size, but it's still doable.

Trustfire TR-J18 - this thing is an artificial sun. It's also a nice solid lump with some weight behind it once the batteries are installed, should you need that..
    Trustfire 26650s - You need at least a pair of these, but it will also take 3 of them with an extension tube that will come with the torch.
    Nitecore i2 - Charger for the batteries

2. nc006

nc006 Member

OK, looks the good, but what am I up for to get a major name brand in that size?

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I don't think there are too many options that are actually as large as that, but you can check out a pretty hefty selection here:

https://www.liteshop.com.au/torch-type/thrower/?limit=25&p=1

About the cheapest of the name brands there is the nitecore MT40GT, ~$135. Might be cheaper elsewhere, but you're still going to need batteries and a charger on top of that. Most of those on that link are running the smaller 18650 battery too, which isn't a bad thing, just means the torch isn't as thick in the barrel.

4. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Are you after the 3D size for its ability to hit someone should the need arise? If so, it might slightly be out of budget, but a Convoy L6 would do the trick. Yes, the light itself is below budget, but you will need to also purchase the cells and the charger which will set you back just over $110-120 if you get a decent set of cells plus some spares.
    Otherwise, if you just want bright and something easy to use, something like a Zanflare F1 is pretty user/budget friendly and it'll be brighter than your Maglite 3D. It's got a built-in charger port, so all you need to get are some well-known protected 18650 cells to power it.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm kinda over the whole battery thing.....what's decent in the usb rechargeable range?

6. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

What about something like the Maglite ML300LX 3D?

7. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Are you after something large and bright? If not, a lot of the Nitecore keyring range like their TINI or Tube might do the trick. They're not that expensive either.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks, don't need anything large, just small (about thumb length and thickness I guess) and bright for just ad-hoc stuff around the house/backyard at night. Tube looks ok but after something a bit bigger than those though.

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

10. Rod911

Rod911 Member

The Zanflare F1 I mentioned earlier is cheap but the quality is there. Note that, a lot of these lights with a USB charging port tend to all need [a] separate cell/s. The only advantage to them is that they allow charging without a separate charger. You would still need to deal with cells.

It's been a while since I've been back in the LED torch scene, so I'm unaware of a "fully-closed" rechargeable torch that might suit your needs.

11. connico

connico Member

You are looking for a Nitecore Thumb or something similar. Its durable, bright and recharges via USB.

Large options such as Fenix TK20R are pretty decent but exxy

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I picked up a jetbeam E20R a little while ago to replace the DX cheapie I'd been using. Not entirely happy with it. It's crazy bright, but it's difficult to use. The cheapie I was using had a nice easy to use tail switch, the E20R has a button on the side, and it's quite difficult to pick out the button from the shaped sides of the torch, also to turn it on is a simple press, but to switch it off is a 2 second hold which I'm finding inconvenient. Ironically, it's also forever turning itself on and running itself flat, something that *never* happened with any of the tail switch torches I've used in identical conditions. On the plus side, it's usb rechargeable so I can charge it any old time in my car or at my desk, it has a magnetic tail so I can just slap it on something to provide light while I'm working with both hands, and it's got a nice multi-level output so can be either stupidly bright or just bright enough.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks guys, will have a look into those options.

14. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Throw or Flood? Lithium batteries or regular?

Olight have a big sale once a month through their facebook page "Olight Australia", worth checking out if you're not in a hurry.

15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Other than LED Lenser, are there other (named) brands that have variable focus heads?

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Was just looking for some new batteries and came across these:

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/arb-l18-3500u-built-in-usb-rechargeable-battery/

Fenix apparently make a range of lithium cells, 14500, 16340 and 18650, that have micro-usb charging built directly into the cell itself. Obviously it still adds an extra step, but this essentially makes any device you want to use them in USB rechargeable. Touch on the expensive side, but maybe worth it if it gives you a feature you want.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Pretty much anything xxxFire is a cheap chinese thing. I have a 'FandyFire' one very similar to that design. Crazy bright but thirsty on batteries. Also awkward to hold because they fit the 4x 18650's in a :: pattern. I guess it really depends on what you want it for. There are cheaper options out there, around the $50 mark if you hunt on alibaba or dx etc, all mostly the same thing though.

19. Rod911

Rod911 Member

It's a light that was designed by the folks over in BudgetLightForum in collaboration with Banggood. It's a good light for what it is, especially considering the team behind its design were flashlight enthusiasts. If I were still buying lights, this would easily be one light I'd purchase. It's more usable than my Meteor which I originally purchased for US$190 when it was first released.

20. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

I bought one last week off ebay for $65. Missed out on the sale but with the 5% off code it wasn't too much more. Thing is way more lumens than i'll ever need imo. but it's awesomely cool in that overkill sort of way. I'm using a bunch of low drain batteries i had lying around too so if i went for the proper 10Amp+ batteries i reckon i'd get a bit more out of them (just cbf shelling out for more batteries and i prefer the longer runtime).

Was originally planning on taking it out camping but it's far too heavy to comfortably carry on hikes, around 500g with batteries. It'll probably live as my bedside light. I honestly don't regret buying it, though i wish i caught it on sale. Not too expensive (as long as you don't need to buy more batteries to power it), throws a shit ton of light, ramping UI option and, for me, it's my first and only mega lumen torch (i have a few in the 1000-1200 range, but even those i usually run at 50%). Everyone needs a portable spotlight right?

Now i'm just trying to stop myself from buying a BLF GT torch...