LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok so overall it doesn't look too bad. Possibly a bit of overkill for what I need but that's ok. I do need to get batteries and charger for it also....so bit of added expense there.

2. Sillen

Sillen Member

ThorFire is the exception that makes the rule. I have their very well priced mini-thrower C8, $45 with battery and charger and a couple of smaller ones, VG15S and TG06S.

The TG06S will be Amazon Lightening deal this afternoon, decent pocket size torch a bit over 100 lumen on AA, 4-500 lumen on 14500. Their S70S is on my wish list but having just purchased the Q8 it will have to wait.

Stop resisting! or start with the miniGT :)

For me, any C8 is a good start and while quality battery/charger might be a big outlay to start with, quality batteries from supersport600 on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-IMALE...619245&hash=item418cb4d793:g:6ZsAAOSwsXVZa1Az and cost effective charger from gearbest https://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_662178.html

As for bike lights, here is one I prepared earlier.

3. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

Tempting, but i can't justify another 18650 thrower when i have a nitecore MH20 that covers that well enough. The "normal size" GT is just such a cool novelty light though... will probably keep an eye out for a second hand one to play around with. Can't ever see me actually using it in a practical situation to justify the cost new lol.

Q8 is such a fun light... i dont know if i can ever be truly satisfied with a non ramping UI anymore... One of the main reasons i still EDC a nitecore d11. I'd kill for a head/rightangle light with good ramping UI

4. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Any deals on Eneloops going at the moment?

5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

NanoDuke likes this.
  6. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

The Ikea Ladda rechargables get a good name as an alternative to Eneloops.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  7. Sillen

Sillen Member

8. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Looked at some YouTube videos, and it looks like a winner. Cheers for that.

9. Builds By Baz

Builds By Baz "Maker of awesome stuff"

Hey guys, I want to flood two large exhaust cowlings (approx 1 metre diameter each) with blinding light. I need LED's that can take the same amount of heat that a lamp in a kitchen oven can take.

Suggestions?

Baz.

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Something like this would be the go I think..

https://www.stedi.com.au/h4-led-head-light-conversion-kit-cree.html

11. Builds By Baz

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok I had assumed you meant this to be for your viper project, why is the inside of your viper going to be that hot? 300°C is only 60°C below the auto-ignition temperature of the foam you've used? It'll be smouldering/melting away long before that :Paranoid:

13. Builds By Baz

The rear exhausts will be steel, double walled, lined with inch thick kaowool, (forge refractory blanket). The outer wall, like my forge, will be cold to touch. I have flames coming out of the back.

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Unless you can build an insulated housing with exhaust, LED's might not be the way to go then. Heat = death for LEDs, that's why I thought of the car headlight types right away, they have active cooling built in and won't break the bank. HID lights on the other hand might be worth investigating. The interior of a HID light gets pretty damned toasty, so as long as you keep the ballasts out of the hot zone and insulate the wiring etc, they should be ok.

15. Builds By Baz

I'm seriously thinking about ditching the flame idea at this point. I can insulate the aircraft, but the fill lighting within is going to be overly complicated and expensive.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

How much space do you have to play with. Could you fit something like this in there?

Looks like the pedestal fan setup you have in the engines will provide moving air, if you can seal that off from the, I'm assuming gas burner/blower setup, maybe even with an old oven door or something, shine the light right through it, you should be able to get your blinding light and flames.

Edit: Actually if you can separate/insulate it like that, shine the light through an oven door/whatever, then you can have whatever light you want, heat won't be an issue any more.

17. Builds By Baz

Thanks mate. I have to meditate on this some more. Cheers for your suggestions.

Baz.

18. [UGG]Wumba

[UGG]Wumba Member

Having done the "replace the incandescent bulb with an LED" swap on Ye Olde Maglite, it was time to get rid of the alkalines. Rather than the soft option of 4 rechargeable D cells, a quick trip to Bunnings and voilà -
    conv.jpg

20mm PVC pipe and joiner, 12mm aluminium pipe, 2 10mm brass end plugs and an angle grinder to make them fit.

All of my torches now run on 18650s :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  19. mmBax

mmBax Member

This threads died down a bit.

Any recommendations for a sub 100 dollar bright rechargeable? I'm rocking a combination of an old P7 Lenser, a P5 lenser and a rechargeable headlamp. But the new house has a bigger yard and the Lenser just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. With some fresh batteries on full brightness it's okay. But I want more.

Rechargeable would be ideal, but even AA's would do the trick. I supremely dislike that the P7 is AAA's.

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

If you like the led lensers, there's a V2 of most of the models that has a beefed up LED bringing them on par with current torches. The current version of your P7 is a the P7R which runs on an 18650. I still like the lenser torches for the clean flood to throw zoom, but it's a lot of money to pay for that functionality and I don't like your chances of finding one under $100.

In your situation with a large back yard I'd start looking at something like this, convoy C8+, 4x18650's and a nitecore i4 charger. It'll shit all over the P7 you have now.

4 batteries is surely overkill you say.. well yeah, but once you have one light that throws this much light you'll start looking at others :)