1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LED Flashlights.. CREE, Xenon and Luxeon, oh my!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by damnation, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Sillen

Sillen Member

I can't speak for the Nextool but the Sofirn SP36 is a fine torch. 5000+ lumens output from 4xLH351D high CRI LED and 9000mAh battery capacity with included cells, colors will look a lot better than a 6500K XHP50

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok some quick pics of a random selection of torches I had on the side table, opened and saved, no adjustments. Set the exposure so it was light enough to see what nothing but ambient light looked like, which meant the brighter torches are a bit blown out. Hopefully you get the idea.

Moonlight:

[​IMG]

An UltraFire KH-T60. Generic xml T6 torch that runs on an 18650, nothing special about it.

[​IMG]

Nextool XHP50.2 Not as bright as the Trustfire below, but much more compact, runs on a single battery and is usb rechargeable.

[​IMG]

Trustfire TR-J18. 7 x xml2's, running on 3x 26650's. You use this to first blind the home invader before clubbing him over the head.

[​IMG]

3. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Are Rovyvon any good? They seem to be selling on FB under Nano torches which also cost more. The Glow in the dark ones which double as a mini lantern seem ok. Are they worth $40-50 though?

4. Sillen

Sillen Member

They're OK, bright enough for the size but not the best UI. Astrolux K2 is same form factor but lower cost, better LED & UI. Get the white K2 as the coloured versions block the red blue and UV LED.

5. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I've got an Astrolux K2 (white version) on its way from Banggood. Got it for US$15.92 through a flash sale. I saw some [possible] knock-offs from AliExpress of the K2 coming at a much cheaper price point (around US$10), but I opted to purchase a brand that I know of and has been reviewed many times previously.

Currently I have an old Nitecore TINI as my key-ring flashlight. The K2 should be an upgrade. The reason for the purchase was to try and get all my lights to be USB-C rechargeable, as the TINI uses a micro-USB port.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  6. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Thanks for that! Does it automatically shut off before the battery gets too los? I’m reading that it cant take protected cells?

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

No idea why it would say anything about not being able to take protected cells. Only difference between a protected an unprotected battery is a couple of mm of extra length, which gets soaked up by the spring anyway. I haven't actually checked the battery it came with, other than it's white.. I'll have a look at what's actually in it tonight for you, and throw one of my protected trustfire batteries in it to see how that goes. I doubt it'll make any difference.

Edit: Ok so the battery it comes with is a nextool rebranded protected 26650, and it works and charges just fine with a trustfire protected 26650 in it. Whoever said it can't take one is on crack :)

psychobunny likes this.
  8. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

So the Astrolux K2 is around 300lm and the Nanflashlight/Rovi is arounds 600lm?

9. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Got my Astrolux K2 and it is tiny! When compared to my other lights of known lumen output, its 300 lumen rating is pretty much bang on. There was only the 6500K option, but the tint didn't look blue or green, but a pleasant "pure" white. Its only downside for me is its switch. It uses the Anduril firmware and to use it at its full extent, you need to make sure the switch is good and can be easily depressed. Unfortunately, the switch can be finicky to press down. That can be a good thing if you don't want any accidental presses, but trying to access the other modes/lights, can be trying.

10. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

How are the side leds? Even in the clear version they look dim in videos. Also there is a pic of one that looks like it glows in the dark but you cannot choose it, there's only a marbled looking green one available on BG.

11. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Aww, the glow in the dark one, which is what I got, is out of stock? The side LEDs are plenty bright if you are lighting an already dim area. They do not throw at all considering they are bare LEDs with nothing in front of them to concentrate the light. If you want to use the side LEDs to light something far away, so not bother. If you want someone to see the side LEDs from far away, then they should be able to see it easily from a number of metres away.

12. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

I find the side LEDs on the K2 perfect as a beacon when I am out walking around in the evening. The UV is pretty disappointing. It's probably the polycarbonate body blocking the UV wavelength. No matter, my Convoy S2 with Nichia 365nm LED is great, but I yearn for a UV mule like the Emisar D4V2.

13. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I always wanted to find a scorpion when doing night bush walks, but all UV torches I've had were pretty woeful.

16. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Thanks for the info. took advantage of sales and got one delivered for under $40
    charging up now, looks great so far. the only thing i noticed is the body is black and the head is like an apple space grey. Is that normal, i didnt notice it in the pictures?

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I hadn't actually noticed, but just checked, I have three of these now and yeah, all three grey head black body.

18. Sledge

Sledge Member

Looking to get a new LED torch for overnight security work with rechargeable batteries.. or built in rechargeable..
    Want something that just plugs in or sits in a cradle to recharge..
    something with decent throw so I can light up an area fairly well from say... 20-30m away?
    Always only bought standard touches previously so have no idea what's good and what's not..
    Anyone got any recommendations?
    Have seen some with strobe effect.. wouldn't mind this being included..
    TIA!

19. jakiman

jakiman Member

Without digging too much as there are soooo many choices, this one should fit the bill fine for a decent price.
    https://www.liteshop.com.au/content/klarus-360x3-3200-lumen-tactical-rechargeable-led-torch/

Rechargeable, nice tactical tail switch with one touch strobe / turbo modes to disorient someone if needed.
    Also has a side switch for more comfortable grip method. Built-in charging. Just need USB cable/charger (PC is fine also)
    Has OP reflector for more floody beam but with decent throw which is what you need to light up a semi-distant area.

Really depends on your budget, but that one is a nice fit for $100 with 18650 battery included IMO.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Sledge likes this.
  20. Sledge

Sledge Member

Don't really have a budget in mind, just want decent value for what ever I spend..
    That one doesn't have a dock though?
    Seems pretty good otherwise..