1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

LEDTorch replacement battery?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Sledge, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

2. _zak

_zak Member

This eBay listing looks to be what you need. They say you need a soldering iron in the description, but apparently they're an Australian business so you might be able to get in touch with them and find out?

3. caspian

caspian Member

4. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

So i basically just cut this one open and then copy the layout? And that will give me the same spec battery pack? (4.8V) i assume mAh doesn't matter
    I've always been confused when it comes to series and parallel etc when it comes to electrical items (i do have a soldering iron somewhere..........)

You'd think there'd be a ready made one somewhere...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  5. caspian

caspian Member

yep, same layout. you can see it's a 2x2 physical configuration under the shrink wrap, and NiMH cells are 1.2v each = 4.8v, so all just joined in series.

have a look at this pic, parallel (all +ve and all -ve joined together) is on the left. you're building series, so +ve to -ve to +ve to -ve etc. like the diagram on the right, but with 4 cells. https://cdn.education.com/files/87501_87600/87540/series-and-parallel-battery-circuits-2.jpg

mAh refers to the power capacity of the pack, bigger = longer run time, but also more expensive.

something I just realised too... the import of the marking on the shrink wrap saying 4/3A. that probably means they're not AA cells at all, because 4/3A is actually a sizing. according to https://www.powerstream.com/Size.htm that should make them 17x67mm, AA is only 14.2x50mm. grab a ruler and check before buying anything! unfortunately that makes them quite a bit harder to find, and more expensive too. https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/speciality-size-rechargeable-batteries/5046124/

for that price you might as well just grab that one that _zak found and change the lead over.

Sledge likes this.
  6. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Like the one linked in post #2 of the thread, via eBay? You only need to attach the connector to that one.

7. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

i took the description to mean you still have to join them together and shrink wrap them etc....

8. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Nah. Connection wires just terminate with blank wire is all. No connector included. If you snipped the connector off the old battery pack and attached it to the new one you'd need to soldier the joins in the wires.

9. caspian

caspian Member

yeah, I think the pack is assembled as is, it's just "untailed".

10. OP
    OP
    Sledge

Sledge Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  11. caspian

caspian Member

yes, they look like the right cells. good price, too. at full price it would have been cheaper to get the eBay pack and not have to assemble it yourself.