Left 4 Dead 2 banned in Australia

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by cyrax83, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayFox

GrayFox Member

na bugger that, we all know nothing will come out of it. Maybe we should follow what the hippies did and just start throwing rocks at them instead?

2. anrke

anrke Member

Sigh.. Australian retailers lose out here. I'll buy online, I'll play LAN or on private servers...

I really just can't tell the difference between a movie and a game.

3. Maldark

Maldark Member

We can still have flaming effigies though, they send a powerful message.

4. Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

i can, and movies are much more explicit. Anyone seen the new Last House on the Left movie? The violence was nothing, just that screwed up rape scene. I mean theres so many MA movies that are significantly gorier and more violent that any game on the market.

5. glimmerman

glimmerman Member

lul.

Sucks to be australian gamers...

6. DeNs

DeNs Member

I feel that it's our right as young'ns to fulfil our role as those 'damn young whipper snappers' while we have the chance. Wouldn't want to upset the balance of this precious ecosystem, would we? :p

If I'm paying for a second installment of an awesome zombie game, I kind of want the improved dismemberment and disembowelment. Now all we can do is watch videos of it. Fuck. It really does make it an issue when the game is so tied to being online - if it were single-player only it wouldn't matter 'cause people could buy their legit copies, then use a hack to get the gore back. The only reason there's a difference with online games is that if the servers are running pure by default or something, you won't be able to get your gore back. Not to mention that the OFLC wouldn't be too happy about Valve making it easy to put gore back in if people wanted. Ok i'm waffling. *shakes fist*

Bottom line, I could live without a little gore, but not having the game released here at all would be a worse scenario. Let's just hope they can remove something insignificant and manage to get it reclassified.

---dens

7. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Well we could assassinate Mr. Atkinson, or set up the next zombie flash mob to turn up at his doorstep looking for his brains.

We could also infect him with an experimental rabies virus, then chop him up with a chainsaw. Since the game won't be in Australia, nobody could proove that it was the fault of the voilence in L4D2.

8. TXN

TXN Member

sigh...
    still no 18+ rating. When will this madness end.

9. alch

alch Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  10. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

lol way to incriminate yourself.

The reason why stuff like this is done is to satisfy the conservative people of the nation.

Also difference between a movie and a game is that the older generation still believe that games are aimed at younger audiences, what they don't realise is that the gaming industry really started to grow in the late 80s and early 90s (Master Systems and NES' to SNES' Mega Drives then finally to N64s and PSones etc etc) and that the people playing back then are now in the 20 year old +.

11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

What a great idea, i for one would gladly join a horde of zombies and march up to the doorstep of Atkinson, demonstrating my right to eat brains, be subject to melee weapons and abuse, and play L4D2.

12. officer waffles

officer waffles Member

Sigh, this really gives me the shits. I was following L4D2 and was excited for its impending release.

It's fucking ludicrous that this ONE person, ie the south australian attorney general, can essentially have so much power over how the Australian video game classifications are handled. Merely because he opposes the notion to have an 'R' Rating, when every other states attorney general is open minded about the idea, it gets fucking scrapped.

I'm admittedly not politics savvy when it comes to these things, but to me it doesn't make sense that there is no majority voting or something similar. We can only keep pushing for classification ratings that make sense, I guess.

13. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Left 4 Dead 2 will still get released in Australia. Even if they have to sell the same version as what they would be selling to the Germans.

14. futurikon

futurikon Member

I say we rise up and overturn the government.

15. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

Here here!!!!

16. Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

lol i just looked at the classification site and loled so hard at the fact that greys anatomy is rated MA15+....:lol:

17. redw0lf

redw0lf Member

Can someone mod the boomer skin to have Michael Atkinson's head on it so I can vent my frustrations!

18. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Stupid ratings, its hardly even violent. They're zombies, might as well ban all other FPS games =="

Will steam offer this for Australian connections?

19. MR-X

MR-X Member

As someone already commented, have any of us bothered to right into our local members, Attorney General et al?

What I want to know though is, will it matter? If I write in my objections to how it is done, come up with ideas to improve and update the system, and put forth a valid arguement as to why there should be changes, will it actually get read by my local member? Will they even care? Will it be forwarded on to someone with more authoritary if they are not in the position to make substantial changes or to rally support for the changes?

I dare say my one well written letter in a dream world might make them change their minds and consider an R18+ classification but I wouldn't be betting my life on it.

Having said that, if everyone on OCAU, as an example, signed a petition, as well as wrote in a simple letter, signed, it might get them to reconsider, and to hopefully think about doing an overhaul on the classification system.

Think I will keep dreaming. In my dreams I get to play L4D2 with Common Sense. Bastard keeps beating me though.

Ollie :)

20. BIPyjamas

BIPyjamas Member

How does one state's attourney general get to veto every motion put forth? With that kind of democracy, nothing will get done.

Maybe we should just vote to remove S.A. from Austrlaia entirely and see how the conservatives there end up in the long run. All the "sane" S.A. people are welcome to leave their homes and remerge with the rest of forward thinking Australia :p

Ultra conservative religious people irk me.

I wonder if Atkinson's children receive any flak over this type of thing in the schoolyard... poor kids. "Your dad made it so my dad can't play Left4Dead 2, grrr!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.