Left 4 Dead 2 banned in Australia

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by cyrax83, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philll

Philll Member

I thought it was 23 - 24. Either way, most of us are old enough to play the game so it's irrelevant.

Even if we did get the rating they could still exclude games from classification for stupid things like morphine in Fallout 3. For fucks sake.

2. 192.168.0.1337

192.168.0.1337 Member

3. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

It nor suprises me or makes me remotely care about gaming over here anymore, prices are retardedly high, communities and players are unfathomably small and the rating system is so 90's

Was never going to buy L4D2 because they ditched L4D1

4. J.J.

J.J. Member

I'm appalled. I also emailed the OFLC this (I suggest you all email the OFLC too):

To whom it may concern,

I'm a 30 year old gamer. I take pride in the fact that I know right from wrong. I also take pride in the fact that as an adult I can choose what I deem fine for myself to view or read. I've watched in amusement as some games were banned from sale to adults in Australia, some games which were of questionable content. One game however, as the media is reporting today, you have banned and this has led me to write this email to you. This game is Left 4 Dead 2.

The major question here is: "Why is there not an R18+ rating for games?"

Film and music have this rating. Why not games? An adult in a free society MUST have the right to choose for him or her self what is acceptable. Take for instance the fact that personally I believe all religions are fake and in fact bad for humanity in a whole. Does this give me the right to ban it? No. Unfortunately not. Adults have the RIGHT to choose. Just because YOU don't believe it's right, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Do you think for a second that banning this extremely popular sequel will actually stop people from playing it still? You have now only drawn major world wide criticism towards the fact that Australia treats it's gaming population like school children. It's a well known fact that the average gamer in Australia is around my own age. That age is around 30 years.

As for Left 4 Dead 2, I don't believe it's containing anything worse than the original Left 4 Dead, which you allowed classification. In fact, NOTHING worse than movies which I have seen at the cinema such as Land of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, Kill Bill 2, Final Destination etc etc. Remember, it's not real, it's just a game.

I urge you all to take a hard think about this current stance and the situation at hand.

Thank you for reading this.

5. trickma

trickma Member

I've heard many times from multiple sources that it's 30.

p.s Does anyone find this ridiculous? I mean L4D? The game makes me laugh more than anything.

6. Philll

Philll Member

lol @ some comments being made:

It's morons like this that are in charge. Shoot 'them' up? That guy knows whats going on. What's highlighted in bold doesn't even make sense grammatically.

7. HM4A1

HM4A1 Member

NO WAY. Thats all I can say.

8. AndyRoo

AndyRoo Member

Well, i'm sure I will get abused for this, but, going by the comments I would agree to ban all these types of violent games. Are your lives so sad that to get pleasure/fun we have to simulate inflicting atrocities on people? Yes, I know it's 'just a game', but look at the way our society has become, we are all desensitised to this stuff, and it shows in our rising crime rates, violence in everyday life is just the norm now. I am a gamer, I just choose games that are a little more intellectually challenging.
    Having a rating system is a waste of time, it just means that the parent has to buy the game to give to their kid. So if we have to ban the game to keep it out of the hands of the kids, so be it. As for the majority of adult gamers, surely you are mature enough to live a happy life without retreating into a fantasy world of death, blood and guts.
    That is my opinion, just as valid as everyone else's opinion :)

9. J.J.

J.J. Member

When someone commits a crime, do you ask yourself "Was that person already going to commit that crime, and also liked video games on the side?" A lot of the time, the person had a predisposition for that behavior, and one of the things they did were play video games on the side. Often that had nothing to do with the outcome. I like video games. I like music. I like cars. None of these things led me to commit a crime. Often if a person is going to commit a crime, they will do it regardless of other things they do in "off times".

Allow me to post something I read this morning:

"
    FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
    But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:
    Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended.
    "

Hope I made a point there. You mentioned you like more "thinking" sort of games. I don't watch a lot of commercial television, and I watch more SBS and ABC as I think that's more "thinking" television. Analogies aside, Left 4 Dead was a fairly interactive team based scenario where I had to think about what I was doing. Sure, mindless zombie blasting, but you had to think about how to act together, how your actions affected the others, thinking ahead... etc etc Surely this is a "thinking" sort of game ? As for life being so sad I have to inflict atrocities on people in games ? Postal (where you piss on females who cower before you), now that was some over the line shit involving "real people". Left 4 Dead features UNDEAD (zombies). Disconnect yourself from the real world where zombies do not exist and aim your shotgun. It's not real. It's fantasy. As an adult I should be able to go and play a game where things are not real, knowing what is fine in real life and fine in a made up game.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  10. Airquarious

Airquarious Member

I Agree.

THERE WAS NO VIOLENCE BEFORE THOSE DAMN VIDEO GAMES!

No video games, no violence. :thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_events_named_massacres

11. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

Maybe they are blocking L4D2 because CrapCom are releasing their next Random Evil game here first exclusively!

12. nap

nap Member

And what would those games be?... Let me go back to Mario Cart... hang on.. I'm hooning around shooting shells at little innocent animals? Isn't that cruel? Maybe that game should be banned because it's promoting torture.

13. phobo

phobo Member

will it be downloadable off steam though? isnt the client international?

14. randomman

randomman Member

So we should legislate instead of fixing the poor parenting problem?

Lets place a band-aid fix on the real problem shall we.

15. Kalgregor

Kalgregor Member

The ratio of deaths\wars\massacres where religion was the cause, to ones where video games were (allegedly) associated, leaves me wondering why no one will "think of the children" and protect them from picking up a religion :p I wonder what Atkinson would think of that.

I haven't yet played left4dead 1 myself, however the lack of an 18+ rating does really need to be addressed. Having one for movies, which can have a LOT more detailed and believable gore, violence (and worse), and not having the same standards for games, where everything is clearly fantasy, is just a tad moronic.

I would have suggested that due to the popularity of L4D, it would be a good opportunity to make a public protest, maybe with a zombie theme, although apparently there's already a zombiewalk planned for the 25th of October (in Brissy at least), which is actually a fundraiser for The Brain Foundation. I'm not sure if other cities have this though, and it wouldn't be cool stealing the limelight from a charity, but perhaps people could go dressed as their favourite Left 4 Dead character \ headcrab victim \ video game zombie instead of the typical movie extra ;)

I'm sure some really well done 'Tank' costumes would have reporters asking where people got the idea for it. Maybe you could raise the issue while also supporting a charity and having fun in the sun at the same time.

16. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Well you won't get abused by me, but you kinda missed the sarcasm in my poast.

Postal was banned in Australia, IIRC. Postal 2 definitely was.

17. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

You forgot to mention that the story was a hoax played on Alan Jones. It's a funny story but other than that it doesn't have anything to do with the discussion on the causality between playing violent vid games and violence in society.

Instead of "cause" use the work "excuse" and you'll be closer to the mark in making your point. I laughed when saw your :p though ;)

Oh and in case it is essential for people to know where I stand seeing as I'm commenting in this thread - I would like to see an R rating for games in line with other media.

But really, who cares? I'll get it from OS if I want it, cheaper than it is available in Australia. Chances of it being picked up by Customs is minute if I get a physical copy, and nil if I get a digital copy. Same for all RC games.

Cheers

18. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Oh - And I just saw this on ShackNews under the heading

Left 4 Dead 2 Banned in Australia

[​IMG]

:D

19. J.J.

J.J. Member

I wasn't aware it was a joke/hoax, but as stands the fabric of the story is what I'd thought I'd mention. It's fairly relevant to the theme even if it's slightly off track.

Someone is pushing an agenda (guns are bad and it's terrible for kids to use them OMG OMG it equips you to be a killer) and someone else is saying "settle down and think of other things the same" (you're equipped for something already but you aren't that now are you).

Someone is pushing an agenda (video games are bad and it's terrible for adults to use them OMG OMG it equips you to be a killer) and the gaming community are saying "we want free choice, where's the 18+ rating" (we're already equipped to be a killer as humans can kill already but we don't because we are all sane, so let's rate games the same as everything else already)

As stated in replies above, society has been superbly more violent over the ages than it currently is in Australia. Problems in Perth with violence currently stem from BAD PARENTING. Parents not teaching their kids that if you have an action, there's a consequence to that action. Bad parenting not video games. Parents who don't tell their kids that if you walk around in a group and bash people you will hurt them, go to jail, be in trouble, could get hurt yourself etc. Parents who ignore classifications on movies, TV, video games etc.

20. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

That is a brilliant picture!

I hope the decision is overturned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.