1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

1. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

I can figure out the black, it was moreso the dark blueish gray/bluish gray/grey. ;)
    And the Tan/white etc

2. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

hehe I know, just stirring :)

I got to a point in building the bridge of my SHIP where I'm a bit over it... getting the angles I want is proving to be annoying and I'm out of patience for today. Here's what I have so far:

Click to view full size!

The white internal part slides inside of the blue and black (with red windows) part. I have some funky angles happening which are a bit annoying, but should work out ok once I get it finished and properly supported. For now, the parts are separate. The captain is getting comfortable in his chair....
    I will be tiling up all the white area and adding more work stations on the left and right sides (they are elevated above the main section). I've left lots of gaps for some LEDs so hopefully it will have plenty of light in there.

3. Ch00k

Ch00k Member

Got the 2nd last 4x4 at Target Chadstone.

4. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

True, especially if you are putting in a bulk order, shipping drops considerably. I'm willing to bet that postage for the cheapest seller on bricklink would have been $50 for $157+$50 postage, putting it close to $230. Having said that, I have made bulk purchases off Bricklink sellers in the past and been very happy!
    Sweet :)

I didn't know until I examined the box closely, it's got two new motors in it! COooooolLLL!

5. Paul B

Paul B Member

6. Paul B

Paul B Member

Hi all,
    I am trying to put together a list of all the best Lego Technic blogs, websites and reviews. Does anybody care to share some of the best ones you have found?

Paul

7. Exar Kun

Exar Kun Member

Yeah, I saw that on the box - the servo motor opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities.

8. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

9. Paul B

Paul B Member

10. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

Received my Space Police I minifigs off ebay today. Also received my order from bricklink from The Netherlands. I only placed the order last Monday (and it's a fairly large order), so a 8 day turn around is pretty damn good! With only standard shipping also. Seems to be much faster (and cheaper) to get orders from Europe than from USA.
    If anyone is interested, this is the store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Bricks_And_More
    They seem to have lots of praise and several people commenting on the fast shipping. I found their prices to be pretty cheap too.

11. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

12. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

Toys R Us have 20% off all lego still. Grabbed the creator Helicopter 7345 for my son's birthday. It's quite a nice build (I am usually quite happy with the creator series). I think I may one day re-make it in a larger scale, so it can fit minifigs.

13. Krumm

Krumm Member

So where's the most economical place to buy the newer lego star wars sets nowadays? I'm looking at getting back into purchasing some sets but was wondering is it best to get locally with sales like the 20% off target or is importing from UK / US or wherever more cost effective? if so what sites can you guys recommend.

Pretty patient so I don't mind if it takes weeks for something to arrive, appreciate any advice, thanks.

14. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

The most economical is to snipe on the sellers on Bricklink. Wait patiently until a seller with a good reputation (I would be uncomfortable buying from a seller with less than 100 feedback), has all the sets you are looking for, then get a quote for postage to AU for all those sets. You'll find that the total cost will be around the 30-40% off retail mark for new sets for sale here in AU.

This means that you will lay out a significant amount of cash (keep the total under $1,000 AUD or you will pay import taxes on top when it arrives through AU customs) and wait 2-5 weeks for it to arrive.

It's all to do with how much cash you have to hand (I haven't had a chunk of cash to spend like this for some years), how comfortable you are buying overseas from a non-eBay site (Bricklink sellers do take PayPal), and how patient you are :p I picked up the new 4x4 from Target because I could put it on layby, and I was happy with the 20% discount compared to the higher discount possibly available from overseas and I got to perform sexual acts on the box it in the shop to mark it as mine. Err, maybe not the last point.

15. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

It depends.
    Local sales often end up being good. Target, kmart and Big W often do up to 20% off toys. Sometimes Myers do 3 for the price of 2.
    However, I've also found on some sets that it was still cheaper to import from overseas, even compared to the sales prices.
    It really depends on how patient you are in terms of looking around for the best price, and potentially waiting 2 or more weeks for it to arrive.
    A good starting point is the price compare section of Bricklink, where you can search for an item and see a list of all the stores that are selling it and for how much.

16. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Also keep in mind some large (ie, high turnouver) sellers have Lego accounts, and can probably buy the set in for you (if you dont want to wait for a month for it to get here)

17. redav

redav Member

And the counter point to this is to try and be wary of BL scammers who are ordering LEGO sets for you using stolen credit card details.

18. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

I was reffering specifically to sellers with 1000s of positive feedback, and no negative feedback, that i have personally dealt with.

To the fools who bought brand new star wars sets for 50% of what the release price was, you dont deserve your money anyway ;)

19. redav

redav Member

I realise this. Just making sure that they were aware that this is going on.

20. cleeoo

cleeoo Member

Are there any particular sellers that you might recommend? I've just recently started having a look at Bricklink, and finding it a bit hard to find some decent stores due to the layout of the site. I've found a couple in the Netherlands but that's about it.