Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Zee

Zee Member

Oh sweet - cheers.

Z...

2. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

1. It's a children's playground. It isn't at all designed for adults to enjoy.
    2. There are Adult nights once a month for those that *really* feel the need to go.

I honestly don't understand why people are getting upset over it. The best thing about it is the physical lego store at chadstone anyway ;)

3. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

I have had better luck on the general (non-lego) BSS groups on Facebook. I've had a few bargains from people wanting to sell their kid's whole collection due to them not playing with it anymore. So it's worth signing up to whatever groups are in your local area.

4. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Indeed. I picked up about 60 sets worth of lego with instructions in one giant tub from a seller on a local FB Buy Sell group. Scored it for $250 which included a lego table and seemed like a bargain until... I got it home and started trying to sort it using the instructions into the relevant sets. Been owned by kids so needless to say plenty of pieces missing, a fair bit of yellowing of some bricks, some bite marks and a shedload of leftover bricks. And the TIME to sort that much lego was... massive?

Never again, now matter how cheap it is. I've made my original investment back easily just selling a few of the medium sets locally and picked up some cool sets like the airport 3182, Build a Buzz, Lotso Bear, etc. It's just how much labour is involved LOL.

5. Jacom

Jacom Member

For that, is there a separate shop section which has no age restriction? ie: if you just want to buy something off the shelf?

6. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Yep. The shop is open to everyone to go in and buy whatever. It's next to the discovery centre/playground but it's separate to it. I went there a few weeks ago and bought a cup worth of parts I could grab from a wall of parts :)

7. trop

trop Member

You'll definitely get some much better bargains on the regular BSS sites but if you're after a particular older set its much easier to get it on the Lego BSS rather than trawling through regular BSS hoping to get lucky.

8. chook

chook Member

I live in Queensland and travel for work and sometimes that will be to Melbourne. If I am in Melbourne and want to check it out being locked into a particular night that does not align with the night I am there is the issue.

9. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

That's fair but honestly you won't miss much by not going to it.

There's a Lego exhibition in Melbourne at the moment that's probably much more worthwhile.

10. Vassili

Vassili Member

It's for kids. Do you get mad that they wont let you in jumping castles too?

11. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

This.

I think it's a great misunderstanding from some adult lego fans about what the discovery centre is. It's very much aimed at children. Look at videos/information about what's there. Aside from a little version of melbourne there's really nothing there for adults. If some adults understand that and still get angry it makes me cringe a little at being associated with them. It's not a human rights violation like some seem to be suggesting.

Just enjoy your lego at home, or sign up to an AFOL group.

12. Strange1

Strange1 Member

I ordered a couple of sets off a guy on eBay the other day for my sons birthday and they turned up new, sealed and well packed.

It looks like he has been selling new Lego sets for a few years fairly cheap, not sure how but all of his feedback is good.

13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Holy balls that is cheap! Must. Resist. Dont. Have. The money...

14. Strange1

Strange1 Member

I know!

I went to get the 75156 set for my son and ended up getting the 75105 as well, He offered me more at a discount (I got $10 off the 75156 and another $20 off the 75105) but I had to tell him I'm out of money lol

15. unix

unix Member

16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So over the weekend I'm going to be putting together 42053 and 42050

So I've wacked together 42050 already. Really fun build (much better than the BMW bike I did a couple of months ago).

Really fun, and it was incredibly satisfying since I got it for half price. haha

A couple of criticisms though... It sits incredibly low... (as you'd expect of a drag car) but its exhaust tips literally sit on the ground. I also expected more of a shell as well. It's quite sparse.

The look of the engine is INCREDIBLE! and it's got moving pistons (attached to the wheels) which is AWESOME! BUT, they're joined by a 'belt', which didn't hold up to my stepper motor driving it (I don't know if it was because the motor was set too high or not, but the links for the belt/chain came apart.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  17. trop

trop Member

42050 alternate build looks much better. Rail dragster ftw.

18. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I didn't see that? Can you link to the instructions?

Also...

What the hell is it with these sets not having numbered bags???

I've just unpacked, 42053 and there's not a single numbered bag in sight... :(

Like, I get part of the fun is sorting... for some... But this is a huge sorting thing when you've got 10ish bags, many with small things, and you've got no idea which to open first :(

19. Brick

Brick Member

You can get the alternate dragster build from Lego's site (here, pdf labled "supercharged dragster").

Personally I'm a bit mixed on the alt dragster build, it looks great on a shelf especially with its size, but up close and building it was a bit underwhelming. It's a very hollow build, there's heaps of leftover parts and there's a few things that just aren't as good as they could probably be (same with most b models but more pronounced with all the leftover bits). It is a good chance to have a bit of a mess about to find your own ways of improving it though.

20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah, I'm finding that in general in regards to the technic sets.

Just completed the Volvo set (42053), and while the pneumatics are actually really cool, their set up is ridiculous, and they haven't considered how they should be routed... They look like a jumbled mess, nothing like they show on the box.

I was also incredibly disappointing with 5 pieces missing :(

Rather crucial pieces too to finish the shell.

In the end I had to make do with other bits I had left over.

But yeah. Overall, actually chellenging and enjoyable.

I spent the past 30 minutes playing with it on my desk, using it to pick up and put away the left over pieces. haha

And yeah, that build does look a little disappointing.

Like, it's reasonably cool and all, but I don't think I ever would've bought it if it wasn't on sale.

I'm trying to find pieces to change certain things though. Like, I want to try and build a section to cover over the rear (where you can see down on top of the wheels), and change the spoiler (I don't like the way it's mounted).

Just small things that I'd get more enjoyment out of.

Hell now that I've done these two, I might see what I can make out of the pair of them ;)