Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Copie

Copie Member

Gst and import tax. No way around it even getting it for 800 and using a freight forwarder.

I'll be getting 2 but just going to hold off until the 13th and see what happens.

2. Jacom

Jacom Member

On the lego website, it says I can register it to my wishlist, but that's not a pre-order is it?
    Can we pre-order it anywhere currently?

3. chook

chook Member

Unless you know someone in the US who can buy it and send it as a gift. Still I would question how much you would save given it will be heavy and the freight will be a reasonable amount. Probably not $300 but the saving will be minimal I suspect.

I am also wanting to get two. One to build and display the other to put in the cupboard. Unsure If I can afford the double hit on the wallet.

4. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah I'll get 1 now and 1 later on I think, save it for whenever I decide to sow my seed and have a kid and build it with him/her.

Not available to order until the 14th for VIP and 1.10.17 for the rest of us plebs

5. Brett

Brett Member

Finished the Caterham this afternoon. Nice display set.
    All the bits were there, just a couple of 2x1 plates in wrong bags.

Did the 42065 Tracked RC Racer tonight.
    Just had a 5 minute play, can't get the grin off of my face.

6. dandexter

dandexter Member

Looks like Lego is cutting 8% of their workforce, full story..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-as-profit-declines-amid-change-of-leadership

Not too surprised, personally I think they're making too many different sets/themes at the same time and that quality of new ideas is starting to slip.

In addition, they're probably starting to feel some effect from people buying knockoffs from those of shit thieving Chinese/Lepin crap.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  7. Zee

Zee Member

Remember, US prices are quoted EX TAX, and the yanks pay state and city taxes, often as much as 15%, where as our prices are inc gst. Buying from the US and not paying tax is a loophole that most yanks can't take advantage of, so the prices are not so different.

Z...

8. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Tax is about 7-8%

9. squaredonut

squaredonut Member

Yes, so $800 USD + Tax = $864 USD

$864 USD = $1080

You can pay that if you can find someone way to send it over.

Send that over, attract local GST via customs.

Or get someone to ship it over as a gift, but it will still cost you at least $100 to post that size and weight.

So you're at $1180 AUD.

Also companies have to place buffers for exchange, our exchange is stablish for now against the USD, but it could go down potentially.

So lets say the pricing buffers $40 exchange rate changes (assuming it drops down to 70 cents).

I don't think the pricing is TOO far off. Would have been nice if the pricing was around $1250. But i don't think it's overboard compared to US

10. apsilon

apsilon Member

It's a common misconception that marking something as a gift will avoid duty/gst.

It's always been a case that items over the $1k threshold were subject to duty/GST even if marked as a gift. It wasn't, maybe it still is but I haven't done it for a while, common for parcels over the threshold to come through without being flagged that money is owing on them, especially via Austpost. They simply didn't have the resources to properly check all parcels coming though and so a lot slipped through without being charged.

Also keep in mind that if your parcel is flagged you pay GST on the amount including shipping, not just the item. You may also need to pay duty, probably 5% though I've never looked up what the duty is on toys, plus a brokerage fee, about $50 if DIY the last time I checked.

11. redav

redav Member

I remember when I went for a TRS claim (I had $1250ish worth of camera gear) the customs guy said that even though that's the threshold, it's not worth their while to worry about anything that's less than $50 - $80 worth in tax so the threshold is a bit of a wide line but who knows how tightly managed that is when it comes to posted parcels.

12. Brett

Brett Member

Can anyone point me in the right direction for running power functions from mains power?
    Battery pack life isn't cutting it for 42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator.

13. chook

chook Member

Where did you get 14th from? I am part of the VIP programme and can't see it anywhere.

I also realise it isn't necessarily 14 September where it counts just yet :).

14. groopa

groopa Member

It's available now for VIP. Just ordered mine, can't wait!

15. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

MF - Temporarily out of stock

Looks like VIP pre-orders are closed as the Millennium Falcon is temporarily out of stock.

I assume they will have stock for the regular sales commencing on 1 October.

I managed to order 1 after the website recovered from it's issues and before stock ran out.

16. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

So who else bought a falcon? I had one in my cart but decided against it.

Going to wait for some discounts or double/triple VIP

I did buy a Lego Fishing Store for 20% off though :)

17. chook

chook Member

I missed out because they don't take AMEX at the AU store but do in the US store. Can't figure out why that is. It will be back and I will keep checking it and get one then.

18. trop

trop Member

Its already been confirmed on multiple sites as coming to retail at myer and possibly big w.

I'm going to hold out till then and pick it up during a 10-20% off sale.

19. apsilon

apsilon Member

That's a really nice looking kit. Considered one myself and haven't completely ruled it out yet.

I had a look for the Falcon yesterday but it was still listed as Coming Soon when I checked in the morning. Guess it was opened up for ordering later in the day. I wasn't sure if I was going to grab one or not but wanted to at least have the option. Probably wouldn't have bought one if they didn't take Amex as Chook says, I'm sure they used to. Maybe during a retail sale later as trop says.

I did finally grab a Caterham for myself but from ebay at 20% off.

EDIT: WTF?!, the Falcon is now listed as temporarily out of stock at $1500. It's gone up $200 already.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  20. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

I admire the patience and wish you good luck.

This time round I just wanted to secure one without any uncertainty. I've missed out before on sets I've wanted but decided to try to buy cheaper later.