Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. chook

chook Member

Was visiting my parents at Christmas along with most of my brothers and sisters and we were talking about how we used to all sit around as youngsters digging through the huge tubs of Lego making cities and spaceships and trucks and all the rest; we had (have?) several of the big storage containers filled with Lego. Mum mentioned that it was almost therapeutic hearing the Lego tip over in the containers while she was baking cakes and biscuits to fuel the engineers of tomorrow and how much she misses it.

2. Radley

Radley Member

I ended up being an engineer :)

3. Zee

Zee Member

Actually, I find I am getting over the rummaging, sorting the parts has taken over the rummaging for therapy purposes.

Z...

4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I've always found the sorting to be infuriating :D

It was with one set I got (I think the mini cooper?) that they didn't number the bags at all, and it forced me to sort. I went out, bought like 40-50 chinesse take out containers and I swear to god spent more time sorting than I did actually building.

But anyway. I've currently got the Airport Rescue Vehicle (42068) waiting at home for me, and I just pulled the trigger on the Porsche GT3. I'm loving the car builds, and I find I enjoy the technic cars more than the normal Lego.

5. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I once bought a huge tub of unsorted Lego from a Facebook Group. Fantastic value at $300 for a tub which contained over 50 complete or near complete sets. Also got a lego table and a few other bits and pieces. However to build the sets I had to do 2 sorts - one to just empty the tub and have some buckets of general groupings then get more specific as it was still taking too long to find specific parts for each set. Then I had to inventory each set and do up wanted lists to buy the missing bits from Bricklink. It took ages and I did not find the sorting at all therapeutic LOL. Basically I vowed to never again buy a big mixed tub of Lego, I'll stick to buying sets either new or second hand!

It is very cool to currently be able to find a specific part in seconds due to the fact I have everything sorted now though :)

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Get on the knolling bandwagon if you've got space.

7. Radley

Radley Member

I got one last year and highly recommend it. The gearbox is very cool but unfortunately wasted as it's mostly covered over. The very last step of the instructions is the best bit!

8. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

trop and MonoJoker like this.
  9. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Sweet!

And that Iron Man looks awesome man!

10. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

+1 for Hulkbuster, my son's going to be all over that when he sees it's available :)

11. trop

trop Member

The Hulkbuster set looks awesome. Looking forward to getting it & the Voltron set on my shelf later this year when the Lego fund recovers from buying the UCS Falcon

MonoJoker likes this.
  12. Brett

Brett Member

Finished converting the trailer cranes of 42078 Mack Anthem to RC Power Functions tonight.
    Took half a dozen design revisions, a couple of evenings on and off and an idea borrowed from a .lxf I found.
    Works fine with 2x medium motors, each geared 1:3 into the existing lift mechanism. The top actuator actually worked driven directly but made them the same.
    The PF receiver and battery pack also add a decent counterweight to the trailer.

Planning on RC for the truck as well, will probably start looking at it over the weekend.
    Still need to clean up the wiring/controls on the RC drive 42043 Actros and have something special coming that'll finish it nicely.
    Have also started a full RC conversion for 42070 6x6 Tow Truck, looking to convert to dual parallel XL motors for drive and already locked the rear diffs and changed the middle to direct drive.
    Also on the agenda is RC drive 42069 Extreme Adventure.

13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

That sounds cool Brett! Any pics?

I just checked my Porsches tracking and it's ready for pick up.

Right now I'm having a massive internal dilemma, as to whether I rip it open and start building it tonight. Or whether I wait till the weekend. haha

14. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

with Toys R Us likely closing here, imagine the sales that they'll have to try and clear out their stock...

15. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Brett, is the Mack Anthem worth it?

Trying to decide between it, Bucketwheel or Saturn V for my birthday..

Madengineer likes this.
  16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Won't they just transfer their stock to other stores?

They're not a franchise are they?

Or by here do you mean Australia?

17. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Bucketwheel. Oh my god that build is fantastic! (But it also costs a lot more than the Saturn V).

18. trop

trop Member

Saturn V is an excellent display set, looks so good when its done. I'm keen on the Mack too but only for the truck to have on display, not the trailer.

Which retailer carries the Mack in Aus?

19. Brett

Brett Member

Business side
    side.jpg

Functional bits
    top.jpg

Battery pack & receiver stick out 1 more stud than planned but needed to due to the receiver fouling on the t-bone.
    I have all 3 to compare.
    BWE is impressive to look at and probably gets the biggest reaction of the 3. Build was a nice experience. The PF is nice to run as a display but shows some flaws once you've seen under the hood a bit. The head rotation is driven by the conveyor system rather than either the other way around or both driven independently. I've been sourcing extra "dirt" bits over time as well, but that's just preference. May RC and independently drive it at some point. Believe it's getting close to EOL.

Saturn V displays well & works for all age groups, some remember some learn some yell "ROCKETSHIP!!". Being close to radially symmetrical makes some bits of the build same-y. Have had a couple of incidents with it while off the display stand too. Cheapest of the lot by a fair margin.

Anthem looks good and while the manual crane controls function, it takes a while to accomplish. The new engine design is nice, suits the scale and aesthetic better than the usual method. Some little build niggles though like you build the bed in the sleeper but can't see it once completed, pretty sure I'll have to lose it in the RC conversion anyway.

Got mine direct but saw them at a Toyworld last week.

20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

That looks awesome man!

I'm currently deciding whether I build the airport rescue as the original model, or do the second model that you can also make (which is sorta the same except has a trailer instead.

Choices choices.

Or I buy the same model again to make it. haha