Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. japes

japes Member

Picked up the Saturn V this weekend when I saw it at RRP at a local Toyworld - couldn't help myself.

Build was a little bit repetitive, but damn, what a kit for the price. Can't fit it beside my Shuttle Expedition and Curiosity Rover with my current display setup due to its size, but will have to make some changes so it can.

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I'm less than 1/4 through the Porsche build, my fingers are killing me, it's taken me 4 hours to get here. And I don't want to stop! :D

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I thought the same about the repetitiveness, it was a good build to build with the Kids... I could do one part to demonstrate, and then the other 3 were left for the willing slave labor.

I wish it was Minifig Scale - https://www.brothers-brick.com/2012...-rocket-nearly-big-enough-to-fly-to-the-moon/

4. japes

japes Member

5. Brett

Brett Member

Got some time tonight to work on an ongoing project.
    Wiring is only temporary...

progress.jpg

XL drive & direct connect servo steering on the speed controller remote. XL mounted between the 2nd axle and outriggers.
    Tipper, outriggers, crane rotation and pump all individually m-motor powered.
    Pneumatic tank needs a new home. Also considering relocating all the pneumatic controls to one side.

MonoJoker likes this.
  6. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I'm really after a LEGO submarine of some kind. After playing through Subnautica recently I must have my own sub lol.

The Beatles Yellow Submarine isn't really what I'm after but it's readily available.

I've come across 4888 - Ocean Odyssey which looks pretty good but it's fairly rare and expensive if I want BNIB.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Doesn't have to be legit if there's a MOC somewhere with decent instructions etc

7. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

holdennutta check out Bricklink for 4888, you might find it cheaper. I often buy from overseas if it's a rare set or the price justifies it. From memory I got a BNIB Tower Bridge for under $300 including post which was a bargain at the time.

It's as cheap as $216AUD (plus post) from a Canadian seller: https://store.bricklink.com/mikozaur?itemID=118808595#/shop?o={%22invID%22:%22118808595%22}

Cheers.

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks MonoJoker. I did find that new one but at $216pp it's a bit out of my impulse buy for the time being, but it is a LOT better than ebay prices! I am considering going for one of the used kits also on Bricklink but it's really not all that much more for the new one... Decisions, decisions!

This bricklink site seems pretty amazing though. Such a resource! And their 3D builder app is a bit clunky to use but it's comprehensive!

9. bonox

bonox Member

the best, imo, is the B model of the 8480

Instructions available online, parts by bricklink or ebaying an old set.

There's also a 8250 (or 8299 depending on market)

10. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'm still yet to complete the Porsche. Mother of god it's so daunting. I haven't felt the drive to complete it like I did with all my other sets.

I think it's the fact I had to pull pieces apart like 3 times because I'd missed something. Or I'd put something where it didn't go. :(

11. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Went to a LEGO fair? type thing at Mt Gravatt today.

Didn’t really go in with a plan but ended up walking out with this:

D14B03D3-6E6F-4D7F-A137-FA8C4BB10203.jpeg

New in box. Got the light kit too. People kept coming up to me after I’d bought it and asking where I got it etc. Must be popular? I got nfi :p

12. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Oh fuck me! Pretty sure that's a discontinued set. What'd you pay for it? (It's not very expensive, but it's on my 'to buy next' list).

13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yeah. Only recently discontinued though I believe?

Paid $140 for the set. $47 for the light set. Unsure whether I’m going to use it or not yet.

14. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah not bad. It can be had on eBay for 140-180 plus the lightset. So you got a bargain at least :D

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I went and picked up my childhood LEGO from the parents last night and found this set I’d forgotten about!

4DC8F991-EE17-45CE-A631-9F1C8C3FF0F5.jpeg

I wish I hadn’t plyed with it and kept it new in box if the prices on brick link are anything to be believed!

16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I FINALLY finished the Porsche. And I'm simply amazed! The build was awesome (if not at times simply daunting). The amount of functionality that is built is in amazing. Fully functional suspension, steering, hood and boot open, spoiler is adjustable. The gearbox is legit. It literally goes into reverse, drive and neutral. The cog work is soooo intricate! It's remarkable! (I've attached a photo of it early in the build - It was roughly half way through the first box, which is the construction of the gearbox and drivetrain).

My only gripe (and they're actually a couple of pretty big ones) - It's remarkably heavy (3kgs) and as such it actually feels quite delicate if you pick it up. There is a lot of flew in the front end.
    The bigger gripe (which I think is quite serious as they sell it as quite a large interest point, the engine moves (full piston rotation etc) but once you've built it, you literally never see it again. It's hidden under a lot of parts that you can't leave off, and that you can't easily remove to actually see the moving pistons or other parts. For an advertising point, it's great, but if you get it because you'd like to see the moving parts once built, you'll be disappointed.

Overall, absolutely AMAZING!

Super shitty pictures that don't do it justice, but it's night and I have really bad lighting in my house. haha Porsche 1.jpg Porsche 2.jpg Porsche 3.jpg Porsche 4.jpg Porsche 5.jpg

17. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Dude, that porka is crazy. The wife gave me permission to buy it but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I think it’s in the uncanny valley of LEGO models. Looks really close but just a bit ‘off’.

Managed to dig the bits out of the childhood boxes Mum dropped off to build two models so far:

61A55A9F-4593-4153-8C7F-BDBB954C71DC.jpeg

DD699030-3F02-439E-A471-331985243ADE.jpeg

MonoJoker likes this.
  18. clonex

clonex Member

19. Zee

Zee Member

There is a mod on youtube that shows you how to change a few parts and make it easy to remove the bodywork.

Z...

20. Reaper

Reaper Member