1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Brett

Brett Member

400mm to the top of the head, 490mm to the top of the wings. Sword is 290mm long.
    Complete.
    Arms are partially posable as well.
    The kids liked watching the transformation from lions to Voltron but lions separate would be an underwhelming display piece.

2. trop

trop Member

I finished my Voltron today, transforming the lions into the mech had me grinning like a little kid. Extremely cool set which was fun to build and looks killer on the shelf.

I agree with Brett, the lions would be a bit underwhelming on display on their own. But I think the lions & Voltron on display together would look awesome.

Sanity_Smith likes this.
  3. Brett

Brett Member

Built 42080 Forest Machine over the last 2 evenings. Model is nice for the part count but maybe a bit overpriced. It's not 100% stable in some combinations of articulation and cab rotation either. Some of the "extras" are a bit pointless for a technic build; the cab has a mug and thermos, the vehicle has mounted shovel, axe and toolbox and also features a brickbuilt chainsaw and sawhorse.

The new pneumatic switches are very nice. Slighty bigger footprint but hoses connect on the bottom instead of the side and most importantly has a pin hole allowing for axles to actuate valves. In this model the valves are connected to knobs but it'd be trivial to now actuate pneumatics with either servo or normal motors. The new valve also seems to have a less "digital" engagement, I've found it easier to slowly bleed pressure off when required; maybe it's a new valve mechanism, maybe it's the axle control.

I'm also tempted to pick a second copy to build the B model; a self loading log transporter.

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Been promising my kid that we'd make his new Lego set he got for his bday all week, opened it up and the fuckers gave us the same bag three times so we can't make it!!!

Anyone know how long it normally takes to receive the new parts??

5. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I was missing 2 8 slot pieces (single row 8 hole technic piece) and it took 3 weeks to get them...

6. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Can you go to a Lego store?

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I can, Lego store at Chadstone is like 10mins from my house. Can I just take the box there and the unopened bags and swap it??

8. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

If you bought it from that store then shouldn't be an issue. If you bought online, maybe call and ask.

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Yeah my kid got it as a birthday present, so unlikely it's fun the Lego store. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try

10. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

You have double checked there's not supposed to be 3 bags with the same number - happens a lot in Technic sets..

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

No so it's 2 sets in 1, and it's meant to come with Bag 1 and 2, and then 3 and 4... apparently its been posted out to me, so should hopefully get it in the next few days.

Does anyone know if the Voltron set will be available at any other stores besides the Lego website?

12. trop

trop Member

I know someone who has it ordered through toyworld so guessing them and Myer as that usually seems to be the way it goes. Apparently not being delivered till end of Oct though.

13. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Rick James bricks in Pakenham has them.

Kommandant33 likes this.
  14. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Anybody going to the lego expo in Canberra this weekend?

15. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

That's a pretty cool set!

17. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yeah, what he hell... maybe there’s a fat Vestas license fee or something?
    100 times this! Was a bit annoyed how damaged the pieces seemed.

18. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Either that or they are taking a really fat profit margin. If the license fee was so high they shouldn't have bothered and done something else.

I got Lego to send me replacement trans pieces and even they are scratched...

19. Brett

Brett Member

Finished 42082 Rough Terrain Crane.
    Nice build, heaps of technical elements and clever design decisions. Functions are good but I've made one modification already. Out of the box the boom controls are manipulated by a single lever operating 3 clutches in a gated selector, you can only engage one action at a time.
    I've added 2 extra levers (centers bored out) and spacers, so multiple functions can be engaged simultaneously. This allows you to, for example, feed line out while extending the boom so you don't accidently lift the load into the boom.
    42082 controls.jpg
    Chassis has plenty of room to power and RC the model but would probably involve a ground up rebuild, will happen but not yet. Superstructure remote control and individual power would be doable but I'm probably not going to bother.

This one's been in my "to finish" pile for a long time, finally got a AAA battery box the other week and completed it. 42077 Rally Car, RC with dual L motors and servo steering. This one was a bit of a cheat though, most of the internals were copied from a guide from racingbrick.com.
    42077 battery.jpg
    42077 receiver.jpg
    42077 motors.jpg

And an update on 42080 Forest Machine. The new pneumatics don't bleed down over time like the previous version, at least in my experience. Also changed the pneumatic control knobs/gears to 3L thin liftarms to better indicate the valve position.

mad_mic3 likes this.
  20. Brett

Brett Member

Friday night WIP pics, rebuilding 42070 6x6 tow truck. 3rd attempt in a week.
    Removed function selector mechanisms as model will be independently motorised/remote.
    Further geared down original steering mechanism. If I'm calculating it right, ratio went from 1:6.2 to 1:10.4. Might need to rejig it so it can run parallel clutching gears if it slips too much.
    Installed 2nd XL drive motor.
    Replaced center diff with direct gear.
    wip.jpg
    motors.jpg
    Finished product will be without the side outriggers, due to ground clearance for rock crawling not that it was hard to motorise.
    Retained original steering as in this use case it's stronger and more precise than servo steering, even with the jog wheel remote.
    May re-gear the portals if 2x XL is overkill torque, but I doubt it.