Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I said I'd never do it but I just pulled the trigger on a USC MF 75192. Shopforme.com.au has them for $999 with free delivery: http://shopforme.com.au/index.php?m...il&utm_term=0_4a98212c39-13b50e51eb-323238653

BUT I ended up going with Myer's deal. $1039 + free Lego Christmas ornament (my wife always wants to buy these instore) + 5% Cashrewards + 2079 Myer points which = $20.79 value.

Myer also has the Death Star 75159 for $639 too.

2. bergerac

bergerac Member

So the my parents found my old lego under the stairs, had a bit of fun last night piecing together the pieces of the old manuals and putting it all together. Quite a bit of discolouration going on and a few bits missing, but I managed to get pretty much every kit 90% complete

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

daehenoc and clonex like this.
  3. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Wow. If you had boxes, you'd be set for life :lol:

4. bergerac

bergerac Member

holy crap! the prices for the NIB train sets on ebay. *slaps 90's self*

5. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I've been eyeing off the UCS Millenium Falcon as well. Cheapest I've been able to find it for is $1099 at Myer.

6. Brett

Brett Member

Got around to starting the conversion of the Mack Anthem to sbrick control. Started with the prime mover and tried to convert to rack steering at the same time, not enough room but I'd already taken half it apart so I scrapped it and rebuilt it from scratch. While building added a 2nd L motor and geared them down for just over triple the torque previous.
    Finally the bit I'm happy with functionally but not happy visually, turntable control.

Click to view full size!

I've had to remove the left side fuel tank and the bracket hanging off the bottom of the exhaust stack annoys me.
    GIF LINK

7. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I'd probably hang out for deals then, I got shot down on OzBargain posting my "deal" by someone who said they got it at DJ's for under 1000 and that included 7% CR or similar. It's back to 1299 at DJ's now and there was no links supplied but it appears around 1000 is pretty doable currently. But who knows when it'll finally run out and become "retired"?

8. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Yeah, I was thinking of holding out for the post-christmas sales. If Myer/DJ have a 20% of toys, that would drop it lower than the current price (the weeks before Christmas is probably the worst time to buy Lego anyway).

9. slavewone

slavewone Member

I picked up a boxed 8527 (NXT 1) for $70 for someone’s Christmas present.

Have to fix battery compartment though. Cleaning is straight forward, any suggestions on replacement contacts?? It’s pretty awful. I might be Frankenstein’ing some bits in.

80B05B49-C120-4851-9678-D0CB4A5675BC.jpeg

10. Zee

Zee Member

Thanks for that link - I've barely got much done with it, as every time I want to sit down I just don't get enough time to make any worthwhile progress. Hopefully my first few days of new year will give me the chance to get a few good 3-4 hour spurts in.

This'll probably make life easier!

Z...

11. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they will retire the UCS Falcon in the not too distant future

1. It's not a play set so it has no perceived value to children
    2. Most AFOL's have probably already purchased it
    3. It must be hard for Lego to stock it due to the size, cost and sheer number of pieces
    4. Make room for other UCS

I'm sure Lego's profit margin is high on this set, and in AU we pretty much pay the highest price for this set (although we have been getting discounts lately) but I don't see it hanging around for too much longer.

Could be wrong though who knows

I got mine for about $1,040. Still unbuilt ofcourse! No space right now so it sits waiting.

12. Brett

Brett Member

It's not on the newest 256 member "retiring soon" list so I'd presume it'll get a full 2 year run like most sets, putting it mid to late '19 retirement.

13. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

If the positive-to-negative spacing on those battery terminals are pretty standard, you should just be able to pull contacts out of something else and squeeze them in there. Maybe battery holders from Altronics/Jaycar, or even AA Christmas light sets that are going on sale now.

14. slavewone

slavewone Member

I hooked into this last night.

F7321C3E-1399-4D4C-B7DC-B0D7E451FE1E.jpeg

I’ve pulled the 5 doubles out, 3 of one direction, 2 of the other... Jaycar only had
    One direction. I’m going to have to unsolder the single bit ends which have a solder tab which connects through to the PCB. I thought about replacing the springs, but they are soldered in and crimped in.

So, all up I need 4 different types and anywhere I do it puts it about $20-25. Major cost is either postage or because it is 20 (or 50) of each bit off eBay. I can make 6 sets from that eBay order ($18.12+GST) so I guess I could list the rest as ready to go Lego NXT replacement packs for $10 a go and never sell any.

For $50, I could buy enough to make 50 sets...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I bought my kids the Star Wars and Friends Advent calendar sets, is it normal to get a ridiculous number of extra pieces in each bag on each day? There hasn't been one bag opened, on either set, where there's not 3-4 extra pieces... Not that I'm complaining

16. apsilon

apsilon Member

Yes, same as any Lego set, there's always extras of the small pieces.

17. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Same in our advent set last year. I think because they include a set number of extras in each 'bag', you basically get spares x 24 so it’s quite a large collection by the end of the calendar lol.

18. Brett

Brett Member

The one that suprised me was the complete pearl gold tool set in Voltron. It uses a wheel brace as the chest cross piece, so the rest of the tool set (oil can, impact driver, wrenches etc) are included as "spares".
    The only other places I'd seen the tools were where having them all made sense (75875 F-150/hot rod, 42068 airport rescue) so it didn't occur to me it was a single SKU.

19. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I like the spares - I toss them in with all my other loose parts.

Mind you, this year's City advent calendar has had a couple of models so far without spare pieces.

20. SaTaN

SaTaN Member