Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Out of the absolute dozens of sets I’ve built, I’ve never snapped a piece.

2. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 Member

How new is this "new plastic recipe"? Just wondering how many sets I've built containing it.

Madengineer likes this.
  3. Brett

Brett Member

Only new receipe I've seen is the cane bioplastic pieces and that's only trees/foliage pieces and only in the Vestas turbine set so far AFAIK.

4. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

The only pieces I've ever broken are reddish brown coloured parts, mostly small plates and tiles. Lego are already aware of that problem and supposedly fixing it (or already have).

5. redav

redav Member

Yeah, this is an interesting change;

https://www.wired.com/story/lego-sustainable-bricks/

But the sets I'm getting broken pieces from start in 2011 and the change was before then. I haven't found a date yet but there was quite a whinge at the time as the bricks felt and looked different to what they used to be like.

Most of the pieces are reddish brown but I've found dark red too. It's been plates, bricks, round bricks, modified bricks and slopes are the ones I can recall. A cart wheel as well but that doesn't count, they always broke haha

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  6. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

7. Brett

Brett Member

I presumed the saloon, science tower and bikes would be popular with the modular city crowd, maybe the monorail.

8. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I liked the design of the Antique Fire Engine, but that's pretty much it. At a stretch the monorail in theory looked cool, but don't think it'd be a good display piece.

9. Brett

Brett Member

Built 42042 Crawler Crane over the last few days, mainly following the Catweazel RC layout. Changes it to 6 channel IR RC, skid steer w/ drive still passed through the turntable, boom up/down, cable in/out, regeared slewing and added cab tilt.
    Going to either sacrifice the cab tilt for a cable operated claw mechanism or drop the claw for something else, maybe a hook similar to 42082 rough terrain crane or a frame to lift the container from the 42078 Mack Anthem. Will probably need more counterweight as well.
    I did type monorail but it's the newish rollercoaster track, can imaging the same modular city crowd would be interested but I'd presume they'd want to do their own track layout.

10. Radley

Radley Member

That looks awesome. From memory there was another crawler that I also wanted too but forgot what it was. I really wish they'd make some CAT gear, like a 657 scraper or D11 dozer. Even a moxxy would be cool

11. Rainey

Rainey Member

I have experienced bricks splitting/cracking on just display pieces after 6 months from assembly in 2014. cheese slopes, 1x2's etc. I had a set (ice cream stand) that had approx 40% of its pieces split and it was NEVER played with. LEGO sent me a new packet in return. I haven't had the same issue since. These are my pics that I posted many years ago on Eurobrick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  12. kbekus

kbekus Member

There was a dozer about 10 years ago... https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=8275-1

13. Brett

Brett Member

42030 Volvo L350F is the best "out of the box" technic set I've built.

14. Radley

Radley Member

15. kbekus

kbekus Member

I'm not sure to be honest, given they were sold 10 years ago there won't be many unopened boxes around. The best bet would have to be keeping an eye on Gumtree and Ebay along with checking Brinklink I guess? I'm lucky enough to have one, it's a good set... great fun driving it around the house with the remote control. I chased my crawling 12 month old son around a fair bit with it :) Hrm, on second thoughts just keep an eye on my future posts, I'll probably have to sell the set to fund his psychiatry visits.

16. Radley

Radley Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  17. chook

chook Member

18. Brett

Brett Member

42097 Spider Crane, 920 parts, €90
    42098 Car Transporter, 2493 parts, no price
    42099 Off-Road Vehicle, 958 parts, 3 motors & "control+" electronics, €230
    42100 Liebherr 9800, 4,108 parts, 7 motors & dual "control+" electronics, €450.

The excavator is going to be a must-have, IMO. Control+ seems to be the official implementation of the sbrick/buwizz concept.
    Off-Road Vehicle is finally a replacement of 41999 and 9398.
    Car Transporter I'll probably pickup just to shove electronics into.
    I'm doing a quote up for someone on a loose parts build, also seeing what can be converted to studless.
    The initial throw a number at the wall estimate for studded was $280, which is on par with a used boxless set. Going studless and changing some colours on some parts will bring that down.

19. Radley

Radley Member

What's that?

I am totally getting that Liebherr. They had a 750T Liebherr crawler crane when I was working on site and that thing was ridiculous - I'd love a Lego one of them too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Really trying to justify spending $600 on the Harry Potter Hogwarts castle...