Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

1. chook

chook Member

2. Brett

Brett Member

Studless is the more modern construction that uses mainly studless liftarms instead of studded bricks.
    Take the 8275 Motorised Bulldozer in question, which came out during the changeover between the two techniques.
    [​IMG]
    I'm looking at replacing the studded bricks from places like the push arm, ripper arm and cab surround to both clean up the look and make parts availability easier/cheaper.

edit: Will also substitute old 16 tooth gear and 16 tooth clutch with new equivalents etc

edit2: Only construction method LEGO apparently didn't "like" was inserting plates edge on between studs, but they did it themselves with the US flag on 21309 Saturn V.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. Radley

Radley Member

Oh, that's just not Lego!

4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Anybody that's built Saturn V, how have you displayed it? Are you able to hang it from say the ceiling? How sturdy is it if you stand it up?

5. Brett

Brett Member

Mine is displayed complete and has been both laying on the stands and standing, depending on where it'll fit at the time. As long as it's level it'll stand OK.
    I've seen pictures of it laying on the stands in separate stages, showing the 2nd/3rd stage motors, which would also save space.
    No chance you'd hang it from anything in stock form, I had a couple of "rapid unscheduled disassemblies" just moving it in the early days.

6. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

Mines been standing on my desk since prtty much release with no issues, except when people tried pulling it apart.

7. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Fair enough!

I'm going to build mine probably on Saturday (maybe Friday night).

How long did it take people?

8. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

2 hours or so IIRC. And tbh, was very tedious and repetitive. Looks sweet though.

9. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Just finished my Saturn V last night! It's standing beside the TV, sits there without a worry.

I really enjoyed the build, doing about two bags per night. (I would have taken >6 hours, but I was taking my time.)

10. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

That's not a bad build. I've also got the Harry Potter set on its way, so going to take up my weekend with that :D

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Mine stands up on a table just fine.
    If don't think it would hang vertically, but horizontally, with a bit of a cradle, would be fine.

Its sturdy, and on the occasions it has taken a trip to the floor, it's split into fairly large chunks that are easy to put back together.

Madengineer likes this.
  12. Copie

Copie Member

I display mine horizontal on the included stands. It’s very sturdy and would easily survive a drop

13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Didn't actually know it had a purpose built stand with it. Makes it easier.

Need to find a place for it, cause I don't think it'll go well with the Falcon sitting next to it...

14. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So I finished the Great Hall, and ya know what? It isn't so great.

I mean, the main part of the hall is fucking awesome, but it's all brought down by them throwing on the tower, that seems to contain bits and pieces from all over the series.
    The tower shouldn't be there at all, and I think I'll pull it off to put it all on display. Originally the tower is only supposed to contain Dumbledores office, and is located at the end of the hall.

Then you have Aragogs hiding place (which was nowhere near there) the mirror of Erised (which was nowhere near there) and what I believe to be Snapes potion room (despite the fact Snape isn't even included in the set! :( ) I didn't like the fact they included the boat dock literally at the front of the castle...

I don't know why they called it 'Hogwarts Great Hall' when they literally grabbed random parts from all over the castle to throw into the set. Part of me thinks they thought 'we need something in the $150 price bracket. I know, lets make a great hall set but throw in different parts to make it worth it'.

I was also disappointed that they only included 2 great hall tables when there are 4 houses. Why couldn't they scrap the stupid tower and do a proper sized Great Hall instead??? :(

Also, all the different coloured bricks everywhere! WHY??? And the half assed stickers on the wall panels. GAH!

Overall, I'd give this set a 3/10. I was quite disappointed as an avid Harry Potter fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  15. Radley

Radley Member

Yeah it looks very average. Isn't it around $600 as well? I'm starting my bucket wheel excavator tonight, but won't get much done.

16. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

The castle is 600 which looks fucking amazing

This is 150. Which I think is too much. IMO should’ve been closer to 100.

The wheel excavator is amazing! Functionality is phenomenal, but now I’m after sets that just display well.

Hogwarts castle arrives next week, hopefully the falcon will as well (decided to finally pull the trigger on it).

17. Radley

Radley Member

The $1300 Falcon? That's insane that thing - there's no way I'd spend that much on something that's not Technic.

Madengineer likes this.
  18. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I said the same thing. But then I got it. Lol

19. chook

chook Member

It can be had for between $900 - $1000 on sale at Myer if you have friends with a staff discount.

20. trop

trop Member

I got mine for $75 worth of tickets in the lego raffle facebook group :D

But I had already bought one for full retail before that :(

That said, the set is worth the rrp in my opinion. Excellent build and looks amazing on display.

Click to view full size!

chook and Madengineer like this.