Lego! Do Not Link To Your Sales In This Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by xosfear, Nov 30, 2006.

1. kbekus

kbekus Member

Looks like the Liebherr Technic set is gonna be up around $750 too.

2. chook

chook Member

LEGO has always been expensive but it is good quality and I felt it was worth it. In the last 12 - 18 months I have started feeling it is going from expensive to over priced. Like the idiot I am I will continue to purchase the UCS Star Wars sets but I am glad that I decided right from the outset that this was the limit I would put on my collection to keep things under control. There are other sets that I have purchased over the years but they have been for presents or similar and not just to collect.

3. Brett

Brett Member

I always expected ~$699 AUD.
    Still buying one.
    It's also likely one of the things with the closest manufacturing tolerances in your house.
    Year on year set price point does seem to creep up over time; $45 speed champions are now $69, $22 entry technic is now $29.
    +price for UCS
    +price for licensing
    +price for part count
    +price for fanboyism

chook likes this.
  4. chook

chook Member

I agree with all of this. LEGO trades on their high quality. There have been a few documentaries over the years about their manufacturing and when you look at the huge investment they have made in their factories and quality control it is amazing. This is a big part of why I have always been prepared to pay for it. On the two occasions that I can recall having a problem a single e-mail made the problem just go away completely. No questions, no arguments, just an immediate solution at no cost to me.

I always expect UCS to cost more than a normal set for all the reasons you mention above. My only complaint has been that while I always thought I was paying for quality, now I am starting to feel like I am being gouged. It is still my choice on whether I pay or not so I can't really complain. When it gets beyond what I am prepared to pay then I will just stop. The newer UCS kits are also much more details and complex than previous ones I feel so I need to wait and see. I have a pile of five or six UCS sets sitting in their boxes due to a lack of display space, one of which is the Millennium Falcon so it is difficult to judge the quality from a first hand perspective. The Super Star Destroyer was amazing to build and some of the engineering was amazing when I sat and looked at it.

Even outside the UCS range, the level of research that goes into designing a normal play set is amazing. Some years ago my son wanted the police station and I got it for a Christmas present. IT was the biggest set he had ever received. Just afterwards National Geographic had the mega factories episode on LEGO and the design of that set was part of the show. We watched it together and while he thought it was cool from a childish perspective I was blown away by not only the attention to detail and depth of research that went into it but also how the designers thought through how a child would play with it and tell stories.

It is, undoubtedly, a quality product.

Brett likes this.
  5. franny

franny Member

Chook - I don't know about the newer stuff, but a few years ago, my parents pulled out my old lego from about 30 years ago.... It was all still really functional and usable. That kind of quality has been worth paying for as it gives you something you will keep for the rest of your lives... I'm thinking I'll pull it out again for my daughter shortly, as she is starting to get old enough to play with it.

chook likes this.
  6. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

Packing to move house. I found a Lego catalogue from 1990. The catalogues back then had $AU RRP printed in them. The City monorail set was $319. Most mid-size sets were around the $100 mark and large ones over $300.
    I think taking into account inflation, supply and demand, and the piss-weak AU dollar now, prices haven't really changed much.
    R&D, manufacturing and other operational costs have all increased as well.
    It's an expensive product, and always has been.

7. chook

chook Member

It is still good. It fits together snugly, if you look after it then it doesn't get lose over time. When I was about 5, some 35 - 40 odd years ago, I was given the LEGO my mother had as a child. That same LEGO is now in my son's collection and is still good and solid. We are talking pieces that are over 50 years old now. Good luck finding other toys that have a life like that.

8. Radley

Radley Member

I was expecting $1100 so ~$700 is great.

I rember my space monorail was about $300 back in the day.

The new Defender is $330 RRP and launching early October. Rick James has it for $280 https://imrickjamesbricks.com.au/products/lego-land-rover-defender-42110?variant=29515159535710

9. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Ooh. $280 I might be able to deal with on Afterpay. Chrissie present for moi!

Edit: And the Liebherr is $650 at Rick James as well..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  10. chook

chook Member

Hmm. This Rick James character has some awesome light kits. Might have to start wasting money investing wisely in them.

11. kbekus

kbekus Member

oooh sheeeiit... it wasn't there earlier today.

ah.... coming soon.

12. Mikos

Mikos Member

13. chook

chook Member

Well, wallet abused, Star Destroyer ordered, pile of shame enlarged, manhood confirmed :p.

Brett likes this.
  14. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So for those in Brisbane this weekend and Sydney next, they've got an amazing Harry Potter Lego set up in the main pavilion! It's huge! People should totally check it out!