Lego MOCs

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by SamBoio, May 23, 2018.

1. SamBoio

SamBoio Member

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Oh yes! I’m down for ogling at other people’s MOC.

I have the imagination of a dead guy so I haven’t ever built anything worth anything :p

3. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

OK I'll lead off with something not so impressive I made with my son when he was only 4. We got our inspiration from a couple of Ideas books I've linked below - great for people like us holdennutta who lack the creativity to start from scratch :)

Ambulance:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Pretty standard 6 lug wide vehicle - could use a few decals or different colours. Stretcher is missing, presume there's a patient on it somewhere in another tub LOL. Space alien driving - not sure why, District 9 Ambulance maybe? I think we had the roof "nicer" with the gap between the red and blue lights filled too but my son does a lot of modifying and rebuilding - he's 6 now and we really should get into a bit more custom building. We knock up the odd spaceship more or less themed from the 80s sets I have or similar to Benny's Spaceship in the Lego movie.

I have a few Lego books, the best for MOCs and ideas are:

https://www.amazon.com/Lego-Ideas-Book-Unlock-Imagination/dp/0756686067

https://www.amazon.ca/LEGO®-Awesome-Ideas-Daniel-Lipkowitz/dp/1465437886

4. OP
    OP
    SamBoio

SamBoio Member

I recently built the house from Rick and Morty. I'll be building Rick's underground laboratory soon. The house has detailed garage, and an interior in the front section of the house (not that you can see from the pic). I had to include lighting so that you can actually see inside the garage.
    [​IMG]Smith Residence by Sam Wright, on Flickr

Agg and MonoJoker like this.
  5. Zee

Zee Member

Holy crap - NICE!

Z...

6. trop

trop Member

I totally lack the patience & creativity to create a MOC! Customising the stands for my UCS ships to get them sit better on display is about as far as I can go :p

Really keen to see some of the awesome stuff you guys can come up with though.

Madengineer likes this.
  7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Sweet! Thanks for the links. I shall check them out :)
    4yo beating me so far :D Good job :)
    Epic. The person looks sort of out of place though. Is it LEGO?

Lol! I tried to come up with a stand my for 3-in-1 shuttle I built at easter. Installed Stud.io. Gave up and then worked out the thing stands pretty nicely vertically on it's motors anyway heh.

8. OP
    OP
    SamBoio

SamBoio Member

Yeah it's a figure from the Lego Friends theme. I thought she looked a lot like Summer from the TV show, but I agree, she does look out of place.

9. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I remembered a couple of older ones we did. My dad surfed bitd and to brighten up his room at the nursing home we built a wave which eventually turned into a whole beach scene for his window sill. i got the idea from a MOC website just by googling "lego wave". Sadly I have no pics of the whole scene to which we added more "water", beach and palm trees.

Click to view full size!

Also I found a tardis build online before the Dr Who ideas set was even thought of and emailed the guy. Will post the PDF build instructions online if anybody wants them - it's an amazing and intricate build - the only way to get those half (or less) stud offsets in such a small model. Very cool indeed but I can't take credit - not my design just contacted the guy and got the instructions:

Click to view full size!

Here's a pic of our "Lego city". Ran out of space so quickly and still had stacks of vehicles and buildings leftover - once you start you don't realise how quickly a lego city grows. And how much room you'd actually need to build a decent sized city scene.

Click to view full size!

10. Quinn

Quinn Member

On account of budget restrictions, most of my MOC's are done in Stud.io (LEGO design app), with only a handful having seen light of day as a brick build. So far everything I've designed has been in the Scifi genre, with a dabble into mecha from the Anime sphere.

Here's a sample:

UCS Scale Delta-7 Aethersprite-class Jedi Interceptor (Anakin Skywalker colour scheme)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This began as a MOD to the 10215 UCS Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter set, but now retains only the forward hull and basic wing/connection design. I'm not really happy with the stability and sturdiness (or lack of), so a full redesign is in the pipeline for later this year. Currently built in bricks and next to my Obi-Wan JSF.

Omega Class Destroyer EAS Achilles from Babylon 5
    [​IMG]
    This one is currently complete and sitting on display in my living room. 1 metre in length, approx 4800 bricks, 4kgs. Currently working on instructions that will be published in the next few weeks under a donation-ware model. This is one beast of a build and the future will see motorisation of the centre rotating section. I'm hoping to be able to retrofit this design, but I suspect that a redesign and upscale will be required.

Star Wars: Rebels A-Wing Interceptor
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Inspired by Ralph McQuarrie's original artwork and the shorter, squat shaped version from SW:Rebels, this was a lot of fun to build. A few challenging moments with stud-reversal techniques to get the look right, but as a display piece, it's more than resilient.

Macross/Robotech VF-1 series combat mecha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    ... and before anyone asks... yes, it transforms.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you can see, there's been a few different versions of this... with several attempts to get form and function balanced just right. I've got to revisit this design to correct some problems with the arms. I suspect this is another that will see a complete, ground up reworking, likely in a larger scale.

11. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Quinn thanks for the heads up about stud.io

I've been using Lego Digital Designer but it can be pretty frustrating as it struggles with what "plane" you want things on so is next to useless for complicated builds. I see stud.io also has a chat feature which would be pretty cool.

Love the Babylon 5 destroyer - estimate on cost of parts and time to build please :p

12. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Quinn that Veritech is absolutely amazing. Good job!

13. Quinn

Quinn Member

Stud.io is still in beta, but constantly improving and the developers gladly take on feedback and suggestions. LDD is dead in the water... Lego just don't seem interested in updating/maintaining it. Worst thing they did was cut the 'submit & purchase' function where you could upload your design to Lego and they would ship the parts out to you directly.

Build time for the Omega-class Destroyer is about 18 hours. As for the cost, I sourced a lot of parts through a local Lego recycler that supplies by weight after already having about 85% of the parts needed in my existing stocks. The rest came via Bricklink. Bricklink estimate on costs based on 6-month sale average prices on 'new' parts at around AUD$1000, depending on where you get parts from and how many different sellers you use, not accounting for postage/shipping. I've specifically designed the internal components with the currently cheapest coloured parts, and the instructions have these parts set aside in a different colour that is not used for any of the aesthetic elements so that those parts can be readily identified as being any colour.

Thanks man. I reverse engineered most of that originally from photos I found on flicker, but the design evolved as I identified weaknesses in the design. It's almost exclusively a display piece... doesn't really withstand 'play'.

MonoJoker likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    SamBoio

SamBoio Member

I built this little build for a build challenge that my LUG is doing. Rules are that it has a maximum 16x16 stud footprint and the key element is the tan icecream cone piece
    [​IMG]Woah, Wo-oah sweet shark of mine! by Sam Wright, on Flickr

15. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

That is pretty awesome man!

My dream build is a Prometheus or Daedalus series ship from Stargate.

I saw one built at Ozcon last year and it was fucking amazing. It was huge (bigger than the current UCS Falcon) and had sooo much detail.

d1ng0d4n likes this.
  16. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Working Lego V8 engine I built:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fzz1SZw-ESJ6kUet1IadF2XUxID_QS_c/view

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CkhstJ3_er5cMK11G7Eua4ZYI1W1Cxbc

Loads of these online and pretty easy to create. I want to get some "hoses" and use the 2x2 tiles with middle lug to create spark plug leads soon but for now here is my Lego v8 - powered! I've also put some gearing on since, so the motor runs at higher RPM.

Pretty cool the way you can build the cranks and everything - and they're modular so v10s, v12s, etc are also possible :)

17. OP
    OP
    SamBoio

SamBoio Member

I made a Daedalus replica a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I dropped it during pack up from last year's Sydney Brick Show and it was too damaged for me to bother repairing it.
    [​IMG]USAF Daedalus by Sam Wright, on Flickr

Madengineer, d1ng0d4n and Quinn like this.
  18. Quinn

Quinn Member

A Daedalus-class battle cruiser is on my "upcoming projects" list... along with a tonne of other designs, such as:

1. Stargate: I have an idea on how to build both inner and outer rings and make the inner ring rotate. Scaling will be an issue.

2. F302 Space Superiority Fighter from Stargate: Recently built a prototype of the engines and how they'd mount to a central frame. Getting the wing angles and proportions will be the next challenge.

3. Jumpgate from Babylon 5: two main challenges; angles and stability. Lots of thin connections between larger sections.

4. SA-23 Starfury from Babylon 5: all the versions I've seen in Lego have looked inspired by, but never replicated, the shape and proportions. I did a test design of the canopy an cockpit recently that has determined the scale, and suffice to say that this is another 'build big or not at all' design in the making.

5. Babylon 5 Station: over Christmas I started designing an internal structure and cylinder using mostly Technic pieces. Rigidity without being too heavy will be the challenge, but based on the prototype build of the main cylinder, this build will likely end up over 2 mtrs long.

6. Warlock-class destroyer from Babylon 5: with several design elements from the Omega-class able to be reused, and the design having mostly straight lines and easy angles, I'm looking at this as the next design project to take my main focus. The challenge will be achieving the right look with the hull regarding colour patterns and shapes

7. Atlantis-class City ship from Stargate Atlantis: I started toying with the idea of this over the weekend when I caught a few episodes on SyFy Channel. This I would have to design in stages... the centre spire, followed by the pylons. Scaling will be based on whether I decide to pursue as much accuracy in structure as possible, or go for an 'overall look and feel' with major proportions being the guiding principle. Even at Microscale (where structures are built using 1x1 elements), this would be a large build... likely around 60cm diameter. Pursuing fidelity in the structures could easily make this unbuildable (though, I did just see that one of the Brisbricks team recently completed a large scale Hogwarts from Harry Potter than is MASSIVE, and will be on display at their expo 9th and 10th June).

Yep... too many ideas banging around in this head of mine.

19. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

Starting to build a few of the fire trucks I have worked with.

This one is based on the CFA new medium pumper which is based at the station I volunteer at.

Attached Files:

MonoJoker and Madengineer like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    SamBoio

SamBoio Member

I forgot I started this thread!
    I haven't done much building until recently. Some things I've built recently:

Ace of Spades Hand Cannon from Destiny 2
    [​IMG]Ace Of Spades by Sam Wright, on Flickr

Modded Detective's Office. Modded the burger shop into Modular style. All raised up 2 bricks high on baseplates as per a standard set by my LUG. Roads built with tiles. I'll eventually colour-match the Detective's Office.
    [​IMG]Buildings by Sam Wright, on Flickr

Madengineer likes this.