1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Leica M-Monochrom

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by chilloutbuddy, May 11, 2012.

1. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

2. Jim G

Jim G Member

Oh my goodness. That would be a heck of a lot of fun. Sadly I'm not made of money so I'll never see one, though... :p

3. bueller

bueller Member

They actually did it, wow. Will be interesting to see how many people actually pick these up, something tells me people will be holding off and waiting for the M10 instead.

4. oculi

oculi Member

Was just about to start this thread, beaten to it.

I think this makes heaps of sense, have been pondering a camera sans bayer and low pass filter for ages, and after i bought my DP1 i realised the extra quality that would be available.

There is a website/company that do conversions to convert various SLRs to black and white (they mainly do IR conversions) and if i had the coin that is probably the way to go so i can use my collection of cheap EOS and OM lenses with it.

I'd be interested to see an image from this camera next to one from a normal M9 converted to B&W, there are still some advantages to chooting in colour tna then converting as I see it (mainly post filtering) but the quality difference may override this.

Would be interesting to see how much it improves the low light performance too, i've seen this is a criticism of the M9 by bitter people who are too poor to afford one (ie almost everyone)

I didn't realise the base ISO for an M9 was 160, its 320 for this SOG version which i suppose is a result of the sensor capabilities and the extra light hitting it.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  5. hlokk

hlokk Member

For one of the most expensive regular format cameras you can buy, which the main point is image quality (and bragging factor...) I think its quite fair to expect exceptional low light performance. Bit disappointing paying $8k+ for a camera that has worse ISO performance than sub $1.6k cameras. (obviously general image quality at low ISO's is better).

Seems quite a high ISO, especially for a 'fine' camera? No completely noise free images or will 320 be noise free?

As far as I understand, they took the normal sensor, removed the low pass filter and the colour array, so does that mean it has 4x the effective captured resolution, or that each pixel comprises of 4 subpixels averaged together?

Guess that may explain the higher standard ISO because all the light is getting through to the sensor instead of being partially filtered by the colour layer. So should be interesting to see what the dynamic range is? If a pixel now consists of 4 grey sub-pixels, the effective pixel size is 4x bigger (maybe, depending how you compare it to a colour camera) so noise may be a fair bit better? Or does that not apply?

On a standard RAW, the colour channels should be in separate data, so on this sensor, wouldnt you get 3 or 4 channels of greyscale?

Wouldnt it be interesting if instead of the colour filter they had a partial ND filter! So in each 4 subpixel block, shade some partially and you could get significantly higher dynamic range as 1 or 2 of the pixels would be quite resistant to blowing out due to over exposure (one of the problems with digital). :shock:
    Now maybe that would be worth the price! :p That and some fricken live view! (for pixel perfect focus)

6. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

There is no demosaic'ing. each pixel is a single channel value.

7. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

I've not wanted a camera this much before now. I can't wait to see more pics from it. The ones on Leica's site are awesome.

8. meeetch

meeetch Member

I might be missing something here buuuuuuuuut....

It's $8000, b+w only (not a bad thing but means 2 cameras at least), Flash X sync speed 1/180 sec, Continuous drive 2 fps, Viewfinder magnification 0.68× (never used a rangefinder but i see that as a pretty shitty way of composing), Screen size 2.5", Screen dots 230,000 and what's the go with the funky ISO's

Can someone please explain whats so special about it? All i'm seeing is a digital camera that has shit specs and a massive price tag. Surely the photos it produces aren't a $7500 difference better

9. djnz

djnz Member

The Leica badges add $$$, like stickers add HP to a car.

10. hlokk

hlokk Member

The Leica logo ;)

As far as I can tell you're buying three things: Brand, Construction quality, Top image quality*

(*I have no idea if it is better than say a D800E or a 1DX?)

For this camera, if you like B&W, you'll probably get the best sharpness at the pixel peeping level. Detail is likely to be exceptional and incomparable to most cameras.

Quite honestly, the rest of the camera, electronics in particular is generations behind everything else (and behind $100 P&S's)

11. random1283

random1283 Member

I'm more interested in the 50mm f2 summicron, $7200 for a 50mm wow :O, I had a look at the mtf charts too, looks good but imho not that much better then say new Canon or Nikon primes (well their charts aleast)

Leica has really gone crazy with the pricing MORE money to take out the bayer filter :/

12. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Rangefinders aren't for everyone. Passing judgement on something you haven't used (RF apparatus/vf for composing) is a bit rough. I'd implore you to try any competent RF out.

You might be surprised.

13. psychedelic

psychedelic Member

Difference here is that an ordinary bloke who's relatively well off might stretch for an M9, whereas this monochrome M is pretty much exclusively for the "rich man's" market, a rich man's toy, so to speak.

14. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

All of the specs you have listed as being shit are irrelevant to the type of photography this camera is supposed to be used for. I think it is very expensive though.

15. meeetch

meeetch Member

Fair enough, but i'm not sure what else there would be that's so vastly different to justify the price?

Pretty much what i though, brand tax.

Yeah fair enough that i've not used one, you are right there, i wouldn't mind giving one a go. But surely you'd want 100%? It's not like it's not possible with todays technology, right? Just seems like an inefficient process *insert nerd smiley*

16. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I don't think you understand what the .68x refers to. It is the magnification of the viewfinder. Having a lower magnification in a rangefinder is good for wide angle use, it fits more in.

Some cameras have .72, .85 and some even 1.0x! You pick the one that suits your lenses, and go for it!

17. vindicator

vindicator Member

This is ignorant.

18. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

Only the wealthy will add this to their collection.

19. WRC

WRC Member

If you want to understand Leica's prices have a read of Thorsten's recent what if post prior to the announcement. He obviously knew what was in the works.

http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-M10-d...Leica-M10-Monochrome-Digital-Rangefinder.html

20. WRC

WRC Member

Actually it's true. See my post above linking a well known Leica photographer who basically announced what was coming days before the announcement.

Some extra pics from a photog who's just done Chinee with it.

http://www.slack.co.uk/slack/henri_images.html