1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Leica M-Monochrom

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by chilloutbuddy, May 11, 2012.

1. vindicator

vindicator Member

- Still at work. Meeting girl for Messina soon. Will articulate latter. -

2. meeetch

meeetch Member

Brand name tax exists. It's not a bed time story :p If people are willing to pay a price for something then why not charge it. Just look at BMW cost here VS the states.

Derp, i read it as coverage not magnification :D
    Something learnt ;)

Just saying.
    Porsche aren't anything special. The only reason people like them is because other people like them. The 911's are a moronic design that has been supported by a never ending income stream. They have just engineered around their motor hanging out the back of the car because it's 90% of what they make and have to make it work. If you were to pick a luxury brand it would be Aston Martin.
    Apple aren't a luxery brand, they just have AMAZING marketing with zealous fanbois.

BUT anyway, i still don't see the point XD

Nothing in here that i saw struck me as wow, that justifies an $8000 body.
    Some great shots though

3. vindicator

vindicator Member

Fuck me you are beyond repair.

4. meeetch

meeetch Member

I've been told that before :lol: :D

5. vindicator

vindicator Member

Well, at least you have some grace :)

6. OP
    OP
    chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

one detail you might not know (understandably) is that the camera division of leica AG was making losses for 10 years straight, their cameras and lenses simply cost more to make than they were selling them for. It was only with the overwhelming market response to the M9 and some obscenely priced limited editions (titanium, hermes, both sold out before they even made them) that leica finally made a modest profit in 2011 and paid back a tiny dividend to their shareholders.

They're not fucking around with your money, if you decide this type of gear is relevant to you, you will get real value.

7. WRC

WRC Member

I agree with what you're saying. I don't see the value either.

I'm willing to pay for M mount rangefinder lenses as I see the value in them because they are small, lightweight and good optically.

The bodies not so much. 8k for something that involves a lot of compromise and will be obsolete in the short term? Not for me.

8. oculi

oculi Member

speaking of which have you ever even driven a porsche? if not keep commenting on things that you aren't even remotely qualified to comment on.

with the leica Vlux and X2 you are arguably just paying for the little red badge as panaphonics make basically the same camera, but if people want to buy them go ahead. plenty of people buy 5Dmachthrees without the least amount of idea how to use them and nobody has much of a problem with that.

I think this camera is great, making a monochrome digital camera is a big deal regardless of who makes it. I just wish Voigtländer would get off their high horse made out of film and release a digital RF camera. i'd buy one tomorrow with a 40mm lens and be extremely happy. if they made it black and white then all the better.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  9. vindicator

vindicator Member

oculi don't be afraid not to discount aesthetics in a fine arts forum.

10. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

There are things in this world that are cheap, and things in this world that are expensive.

Leica is the latter.

It's a characteristic of a free, market based economy.

Deal with it.

11. oculi

oculi Member

sorry don't understand what you mean, i've been sick the last few weeks, i'm into my third rum and the double negative is throwing me!

12. spectre257

spectre257 Member

+1 I always had my doubts about Leicas being just overpriced cameras but after shooting with one (M6) I have to admit it was a different way of shooting and I quite enjoyed it.
    The build quality of the lenses and body is just second to none.

13. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Epson RD-1? No-one understands.

14. oculi

oculi Member

15. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

X-Pro1 + M-Mount adapter? :confused:

16. oculi

oculi Member

I was looking at an X-pro1 but it doesn't look right for me (it's APSC anwyay too) if i had the money lying around i'd buy one for sure.

back on topic!

17. OP
    OP
    chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

I have the sneaking suspicion that this specific camera could have been made by Stalin himself in a state factory in USSR and still wouldnt be much cheaper. It's just the spec, manufacturing process, tolerances etc

18. vindicator

vindicator Member

People want to Walmart the world.

Jerks.

19. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

The vast majority of owners will be those ensuring that others see them shooting with it. A B&W no-filter body makes some sense, but not for the number of people that will buy them (like all Leicas).

20. vindicator

vindicator Member

^ hope you feel better after that.