1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Leica M-Monochrom

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by chilloutbuddy, May 11, 2012.

1. WRC

WRC Member

Buy yourself a subscription on Reid reviews and have a gander yourself. He spends a great deal of time and effort comparing rangefinder lenses. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel.

2. bueller

bueller Member

$32.95 for access to stuff I can find for free elsewhere? @$%# that noise haha

3. vindicator

vindicator Member

You hear this argument applied to Apple on a regular basis; At some point their competitors will be able to produce a similar quality product for much less which will devastate their business. What is implied is that Apple should be extending their product offering downward in order to capture market-share pre-emptively.

Of course this never eventuates, because Apple has two things that their competitors do not - time and taste.

How do you propose that they modernise their production? Where could they reduce waste?

I'm not suggesting that Leica are the pinnacle of efficiency or otherwise. Rather, I'm interested in what you are basing your assertion on.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  4. WRC

WRC Member

You can get bits and pieces elsewhere but not his wholesale comparisons of rangefinder lenses. Worth the luxury ;)

5. rasice

rasice Member

The Monochrome is fine for those who shoot BW and can afford it. Some of the images I've seen out of it look amazing.

The X2 is just shameless. Shows that Leica isn't even trying to compete. Its more a luxury goods company than a photography company.

I've was thinking about getting an M10 but Leica have lost me with this announcement. Hopefully Fuji gets the X-pro perfect on their next attempt.

Leica still make great glass. But Fuji, SLR-Magic and Voigtlander are rolling out some really great stuff as well. 35mm 1.4 from fuji is a bargain.

6. lithos

lithos Member

Leica occupies the exact same niche as a Swiss watch. Once, they were the most precise, necessary tools for important jobs. Rolex examples: the Sea-Dweller and Submariners were dive watches, used by one of the biggest and most important professional diving companies around, Comex SA. The GMT was developed with Pan-Am for its pilots and navigators, for logging flight plans, and back when astro-navigation was necessary.

And, just like Leica, the Japanese came along in the seventies and kicked their arse.

Now, it's evolved purely into a luxury good, that trades of its past as being used by glamourous professions as a necessity. Now, we have GPS, LORAN, and quartz watches. Divers have much more useful dive computers.

And Comex does nowhere near the same level of human diving as it once did.

7. psychedelic

psychedelic Member

This.

10char

8. vindicator

vindicator Member

I can't believe that they went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

What the fuck is that shit?

9. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

If I had to guess, it's the hinged flash from the Panasonic GX1. But yeah, I don't even. :tired:

10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

omg vindy i know. crime. bauhaus be upset.

11. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

Yeah Leica's point & shoots & compacts look like they've been sub contracted out to Panaphonics or similar, their M9 and the like plus lenses are just in a different world.

12. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Because they're just rebranded Panasonic compacts with the leica badge thrown on (in the case of all the vlux or whatever, they're identical to their panasonic counterparts, just with a 50% price increase for no good reason).... the x series is different but I imagine they're still made by panasonic ;) :p

13. vindicator

vindicator Member

I refuse to buy products with injection mold lines.

14. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

15. vindicator

vindicator Member

It's worth the premium for the restrained aesthetics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did Panasonic really have to put all that stupid branding everywhere?

"POWER O.I.S". Fucking terrible.

Atleast with the D'Lux you can paint the logo black.

16. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

:rolleyes:

Yea, right, whatever.

It's the same fucking thing. (note: I don't care that it exists, people will still buy it, the business case is there, I just think it's stupid that's all). Let's face it though, people will buy that for the brand.

Edit: I'm with you on the aesthetics tho, the branding is stupid and the leica looks better, but really, that doesn't justify the more than double rrp (US: $269 to $699).... I mean come on, I can deal with the aesthetics to save $400.

17. vindicator

vindicator Member

It's not the same thing.

People buy the Leica for the lack of branding.

Is it worth it?

Do you value minimal aesthetics and branding?

Then what are you worth?

18. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Ok the body is slightly different, but the cameras are the same (inside). Again, I don't care that it exists, because I know people will still buy it..... I just personally think that it's stupid :p

Depends on what it is.... but really it's all semantics and people will buy whatever they want.

19. vindicator

vindicator Member

The body is what you touch, interact with, look at, enjoy...

20. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Sure, but at the end of the day it's a $250 camera dressed up to be a Leica :p

If that's what floats your boat, then sure go ahead, who am I to say 'rah rah rah no you're stupid and you shouldn't be buying it'

Personal semantics *shrugs*