1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Leica M-Monochrom

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by chilloutbuddy, May 11, 2012.

1. hlokk

hlokk Member

But slower lens would have more DOF to compensate the inaccuracy of getting pinpoint focus distance. Both you get the same "acceptable focus" accuracy because you're comparing output accuracy (on the screen) wouldnt you?
    I.e. you should be able to see the same 'acceptable sharpness zone' whether its a few meters or half a meter.

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yep, doesn't make it better. If anything to me it makes it worse.

I appreciate your input, you've gotta have more experience than me with both.

But. ~$2400 for a camera that focuses slowly in some conditions?

No thanks.

As for the complexity, sure, you can use the X-Pro in a simple way as you have said. But there is an awful lot more there, which I propose, if they didn't have, it would be a better camera.

Just my 2c.

I agree with this, however, as you get higher resolution sensors getting the point of critical focus correct becomes more and more important. With the RF you are always setting the point of critical focus. I don't see this as a particularly strong 'argument' for RF shooting but it is true none the less.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Yeah it was just a part of advantage of RFs but I've been getting noticeably sharper images compared to filmSLRs. I think it's more to do with the practical usage but with a good RF like Bessa and Leica, I very rarely get a misfocused shot but it's easier to misjudge focus on a SLR for me when out and about.

Personally my biggest likes of RF is accurate manual focusing, brightline framing. compact size and large variety of fast old and new glass that work with old and new cameras, film and digital. Incredibly cool to take a collapsible 50mm Leica lens off a 60 year old Leica iii and use it on a modern day camera like M9.

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Ok, I see where you are coming from now.

And yes, the lens selection is great. I don't own any Leica glass yet :( but I've got a 28 and 35 Ultron, both faster than f/2, both less than $400 second-hand.

A work mate has lent me a Jupiter 50 from USSR, The images ain't bad either! (cost him $30 or so).

5. crispy12

crispy12 Member

I'm a massive fan of Voigtlander glass, I think they have some incredible glass for bargain prices compared to other systems. The build quality isn't quite Leica but still miles above plastic lenses of today. Zeiss is even more amazing but they do charge accordingly. This level of build quality is hard to resist for any gear head!!

I had a Jupiter but sold it off for a CV 50/1.5 (which I bought, twice...). Unfortunately my FSU lens didn't focus quite well on digital, not bad on film though. Do you use it on M9?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012