Lens lineup to take travelling

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Stornn, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Stornn

Stornn Member

Hi hi,

I've got an OM-D and I'm going to India in November for about six weeks. I'm trying to take minimal bulk - just taking along carryon luggage (a 40L backpack) and a mini daypack with my camera and a couple lenses inside.

I'm trying to decide what lenses I should run with... I was looking at taking no more than two lenses (maaaybe three). I prefer having minimal equipment to manage, which forces me to think about my photos more, and helps since space will be at a premium.

I currently own:
    Olympus 12-50mm - I don't really like this/zooms and am trying to sell it
    Olympus 45mm f/1.8 - I don't use this a whole bunch but optically it's amazing, I'm not a huge fan of this focal length and it's a bit long for my liking
    Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 - I like this lens a lot but the autofocus can be a bit frustrating
    Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 - This one is great and I love it, I really like this focal length. Just bought it a week ago so still getting used to it

I was tempted to offload my 20mm f/1.7 and take the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and purchase a Panasonic 25mm f/1.4. That would give me a semi-wide for landscapes, street and candids and a normal fast lens for portraits and just general shooting.

Thoughts?

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Take what lens you use most.

Then take whatever is totally different to that lens.

3. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I've not been to India, but I'd imagine it'd be a place where it can be tight, and you'd be better suited to a wider lens.

However, I would highly recommend taking a long lens too. I don't know what the crop is on the OMD, but guessing it's 2:1 so the 45 might be pretty good.

I find myself shooting in the 30mm range a lot when I'm in Japan, and quite like it when out and about.

4. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Whats the crop factor on the OM-D, 2x right?

If thats the case then you'll need something in that 14mm range for general landscapes and any street that you want to do...

5. OP
    OP
    Stornn

Stornn Member

2x crop, yep. I don't want anything longer than the 45mm (I don't care much about wildlife shots really)... I guess the only real use for the 45mm would be candid street portraits?

I think I'll definitely take the 14mm f2.5, I agree with you guys in that having a reasonably wide lens is pretty essential. I also love the lens.

6. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

The 45 won't be a large lens, take that... believe me, you'll kick yourself if you don't have something a little long.

My preferences are:

UWA (14-18mm equivalent)
    Wide (~25-35mm equivalent)
    Standard (48-58mm equivalent)
    Portrait (70-90mm equivalent)

7. OP
    OP
    Stornn

Stornn Member

In what situations do you think I'll really miss the 45mm?

It's not just the size - it's also the ability to simplify my phototaking process by just having two lenses...

8. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Honestly, there's plenty... You never know. sometimes you might not ever take a lens out, but three relatively smallish lenses should be manageable if you ask me.

There's always times when I simply want to crop in a lot, people shots etc.

9. OP
    OP
    Stornn

Stornn Member

hmm.. I'll maybe do some street with the 45 and see how I go. Not sure still.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience on the 20mm 1.7 vs the 25mm 1.4?

10. lench

lench Member

1 zoom and 1 prime is a good balance
    flashes are unnecessary and so are tripods unless you can see yourself using it more than twice

11. crispy12

crispy12 Member

I'd bring 14, 20 and 12-50, since you're so-so about the 45.

What don't you like about the 12-50? I always thought having a weather-sealed lens would be awesome for travelling.

12. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

I'm off to Europe soon and I'm buying the OM-D, if those are FF measure I'd be looking for...
    Divide FF by 2...

7-9mm
    14-50mm - is the Kit lens does 24mm-100mm covers Wide and standard

Do I need/want another longer lens or something shorter ~20mm(40mm equiv) pancake prime?

13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Do you?

I dont get this, you are the one who takes photos.....

What focal lengths do you normally shoot the most? Take those.

14. C.Michael

C.Michael Iron Photographer

If I was taking my 5D away, I'd take a 35 / 50 (some people tend towards 35, others 50. Personal choice), 85 & 17-40. If I had to throw one it'd be the 85 because I rarely shoot long.

15. Remote Man

Remote Man Member

That's it... I don't it's my first interchangeable lens camera, I always like shooting wide when I do get a camera in my hand for scenery (love a good panorama)... In fact I'm not sure where I'd need a long lens my eyes aren't that great and shooting far away stuff seems like lots of effort...