1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lense for large product photography

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by drunkntigr, Jun 24, 2020.

1. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Normally 5-6m from the farthest point/end of the product item.

Bulky products normally 1m to 3m wide.

The goal is to have the whole product in focus, not just the front of the product.

Looking at this
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lenses (White Box)
    About $500 for the STM

canon-ef-24-105mm-fa4l-is-ii-usm-lens
    The USM version costs $1800 which is um......

Just going to be using it on a canon 550d and most pictures will be reduce to 2000px anyway.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Entry level vs L glass :)

I am sure for product photography and your intended application the 24-105 STM will be fine.

What you want to achieve is all done by the operator and not the lens anyway.

3. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Don't buy a 24-104 f4 new, it's an L lens which heaps of people get in a kit, you can easily get one for 500-800

4. jakes

jakes Member

24-105 is also one of the absolute worst Ls there is

what sort of products are you going to photograph? maybe look more in a specific range, ie 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 .. based on size/distance

or go prime and zoom with your feet - probably more suited for product photography anyway, since they're not going anywhere, you can set up around them

die_piggy and ipv6ready like this.
  5. MickybD

MickybD Member

To ensure you're getting everything in focus front to back I expect you're probably going to be stopping the lens down a little - perhaps to f/8 - so the quality of the lens wide open becomes less of a factor. Any lens only gets sharper as it is stopped down, so I would have thought a decent non-L zoom lens such as the Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens should produce good enough results for you. (Having said that, perhaps take this comment for general info only as I am only speaking theoretically as I have no experience with that particular lens...)

Deftone2k likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Whole idea is to get everything in focus evenly.

Products are 2m x 2m roughly and need to fit the whole thing in.

Yes i don't think quality of the lens is going to matter as much of the photos go to smoothing and touch ups.

Isn't Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM the same one as in my first link?

7. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

8. Renza

Renza Member

9. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

They can crack (and come off), especially on older lenses; seems so in this case. Not really an L if there's no red ring, is it... :)

10. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Seems ok lol. Picked up the one from cashcoverters. One heavy piece of glass. 24mm is barely enough. Hopefully the aperture lets in enough light.

11. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

It's a 550D. Just get a cheap efs lens instead perhaps?

12. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Good luck with it; hope you got them to shave off a hunj or two for good measure...

13. OP
    OP
    drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Yeah tbh can't see any difference at all. darker images cause of the aperture and the items still seem pretty not clear.

Got it for $500, should have just asked for $400 or $450 but cbf. Dunno how it works at cashconverters never shopped there before.

I'm definitely not doing something right.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  14. davidblight

davidblight Member

I do a fair bit of product photography professionally, apologies if this is unwanted commentary/feedback, but I have a couple of points/questions:

• Are you using artificial light? Or only available light? Nothing wrong with the latter, but you’ll just need to control room light a lot more closely
    • A product that large at a relatively close distance you’re definitely going to want to focus stack. For this you’ll need a tripod, and to use the lens at its sharpest aperture - note that this is generally not the smallest aperture, most likely around F8-11
    • Another aspect of being close/wide is distortion, be careful with distances if you’re unfamiliar. A good test is to get as far back as possible with the lens as zoomed in as possible so the subject fills the frame, and then as close/wide as possible to fill the frame again, the images will be wildly different
    • The other facet of different lighting is going to be white/colour balance. This is definitely a situation to use RAW, and if possible pick up a colour checker to balance properly. Colours will be nigh on impossible to get right if your light sources are too different
    In reality, for what it sounds like you’re doing, most lenses of the right focal length will fit the bill, as you should be stopping down and controlling the environment anyway