1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lenses, what fits what?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Reaper, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

So just wondering about this old lense I have, was originally on our old canon t50, will it fit a modern camera at all? It's a telephoto lense. Are they all universal or manufacturer specific? Thanks.

IMG_20200713_140647.jpg
    IMG_20200713_140756.jpg

2. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

It used the canon Fd Mount... won’t fit anything modern without an adapter. I don’t know that it would be particularly sought after either. :( Sorry.

Reaper likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Thanks. Not easy trying to find what lenses fit what or standards or anything when all I get is sales and store results on the ad, err, search engines.

theicemagic likes this.
  4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I usually just hit up 'Ken Rockwell' or google 'X Lens Lens Mount' or 'X Body Lens Mount' and follow the rabbit hole. Found it a lot easier than trawling through sales posts as you found.

Reaper likes this.
  5. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

That's because there aren't really standards unfortunately. Each brand has their own, often brands have multiple themselves that are incompatible (at least without adapters).

Canon currently have 4 mount 'standards' themselves, for example, with one being one-way compatible to another but the rest either requiring an adapter or being completely incompatible.

Old lenses can generally be adapted to mirrorless camera bodies with an appropriate adapter but no automatic functions (aperture control, AF). Beyond that, assume ot won't work.

Reaper likes this.
  6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The lens should fit any modern mirrorless body with the right adaptor, usually available from between $10-$30 on ebay. You just need to work out which mount the lens is.

*edit*
    It is an FD mount, and you can get FD to EOS adaptors to allow its use on Canon DSLR cameras or any modern mirrorless cameras for under $40.

The lens itself is nothing special, however and probably worth less than the adaptor.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Reaper likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

I still have the original box, in about 1985 it was $180. Huge money back then.

8. Renza

Renza Member

about $450 in today's money, not really that much compared to what's available now